You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Midfield
January 29 2023 8.07pm

Midfield

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

 

View nead1's Profile nead1 Flag 13 Jan 23 9.41pm Send a Private Message to nead1 Add nead1 as a friend

I agree that letting Kouyate go was a mistake; however, if I recall correctly, it was tied in with Palace deciding that any players over 30 would only be offered one year deals - presumably tied in with greater possibility of injuries, becoming less effective as a player etc. Indeed they followed this policy with Clyne, Tomkins and a few others if I recall.

Clearly the situation with Kouyate questions the wisdom of a blanket approach and they certainly won't be going down the same route vis a vis Wilf if they have any hope of keeping him. However, how will they handle Ward, Luka and others whose contracts are up at the end of the season unless they agree a policy and stick to it in the interests of fairness? Its a tough call as are so many judgements in the world of professional sport.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 14 Jan 23 7.02am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

Oh well if thats a quote from the horses mouth, then "reality bites" its times like this when we are forced to realise where we are in the pecking order - so for Conor, maybe its Newcastle ?

Originally posted by sydtheeagle

Thanks. For me, this is the sort of post (and inside information) that makes these forums worth reading. Obviously, we have to take you and the above on trust but it sounds credible enough to me.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 14 Jan 23 7.22am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


What's the story with Scott Banks? His contract must be up soon. Is he just not good enough?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 14 Jan 23 8.22am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


What's the story with Scott Banks? His contract must be up soon. Is he just not good enough?

He has made 18 appearances for Brad C on loan, scoring 3 goals, but has a shin injury and hasn't featured in their last 3 games.


Edited by Willo (14 Jan 2023 8.22am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sydtheeagle's Profile sydtheeagle Flag England 14 Jan 23 10.03am Send a Private Message to sydtheeagle Add sydtheeagle as a friend

Originally posted by nead1

...it was tied in with Palace deciding that any players over 30 would only be offered one year deals ...

I think that is correct, and it's one of the most stupid policies in all of sports (not just at Palace; plenty of clubs in a variety of sports have similar policies). Dogged adherence to any random standard makes no sense at the best of times; besides 30 is no longer old in these days of advanced sports science and better player conditioning than ever before. Every individual is different and their contract should be treated accordingly. Would you judge Darren (sicknote) Anderton at 30 the same way you'd judge Damian Delaney, whose battery never stopped? Would Leicester jettison Jamie Vardy because he's gone over the threshold, never mind that he still scores goals even as his pace slows? The bottom line is we f***ed up badly letting Kouyate go, the more so because we didn't properly renew our midfield. As a result, we've now got to dig ourselves out of a hole in the January window, a time when good deals are hard to find.

Edited by sydtheeagle (14 Jan 2023 10.04am)

 


Sydenham by birth. Selhurst by the Grace of God.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View joe_cpfc's Profile joe_cpfc Flag Basingstoke 14 Jan 23 10.23am Send a Private Message to joe_cpfc Add joe_cpfc as a friend

I really don't understand how anyone can think letting Kouyate go was a mistake. He was going downhill rapidly and he was really just a half decent squad player. I don't think he's played a full 90 mins for Forest and he's been injured for ages. It was completely the right decision not to offer him 2 years and if he didn't want the 1 year then see ya later.
He was replaced by Doucore, obviously a massive upgrade. We've added Hughes who for some weird reason doesn't get picked but instead useless Schlupp is preferred.
Forget Kouyate, the issue has been not replacing Gallagher and we'd have to be extremely lucky to find an affordable replacement for him but obviously something needs doing about it and fast.
I think Hughes is more than good enough to offer us something in that midfield but if the manager doesn't fancy him then someone needs bringing in who the manager does like.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 14 Jan 23 10.51am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by joe_cpfc

I really don't understand how anyone can think letting Kouyate go was a mistake. He was going downhill rapidly and he was really just a half decent squad player. I don't think he's played a full 90 mins for Forest and he's been injured for ages. It was completely the right decision not to offer him 2 years and if he didn't want the 1 year then see ya later.
He was replaced by Doucore, obviously a massive upgrade. We've added Hughes who for some weird reason doesn't get picked but instead useless Schlupp is preferred.
Forget Kouyate, the issue has been not replacing Gallagher and we'd have to be extremely lucky to find an affordable replacement for him but obviously something needs doing about it and fast.
I think Hughes is more than good enough to offer us something in that midfield but if the manager doesn't fancy him then someone needs bringing in who the manager does like.

Ah! A very sensible post IMHO.

I think, if fans are honest, deep down the complaint of letting Kouyate go is more a complaint of not replacing him. I think many of us have considered anchoring the midfield a top priority for some time now however is just hasnít happened. Again with Gallagher and no replacement of that contribution to the team too.

I still feel like screaming Ďsort the midfieldí whilst standing inebriated, looming over the car park outside the glazierís. Might still happen but Iím doubtful this month. I think Hughes can do a job and what have you but is probably more for the squad than starting XI. Even if that was/is the case still only 2 of a 3 man midfield. PV just looks as though he doesnít quite know what to do with it atm or who to put where. Thatís not good when the manager doesnít even know what his three man midfield should be.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 14 Jan 23 2.13pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by joe_cpfc

I really don't understand how anyone can think letting Kouyate go was a mistake. He was going downhill rapidly and he was really just a half decent squad player. I don't think he's played a full 90 mins for Forest and he's been injured for ages.

He was playing regularly for Forest but it was when he disappeared to the World Cup that he got injured and still hasn't recovered.

Doucourť wasn't bought to replace Kouyate as his natural position is further forward and ideally would be playing with a defensive partner which is hopefully who the management are looking to bring in now

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View joe_cpfc's Profile joe_cpfc Flag Basingstoke 14 Jan 23 2.46pm Send a Private Message to joe_cpfc Add joe_cpfc as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

He was playing regularly for Forest but it was when he disappeared to the World Cup that he got injured and still hasn't recovered.

Doucourť wasn't bought to replace Kouyate as his natural position is further forward and ideally would be playing with a defensive partner which is hopefully who the management are looking to bring in now

I wouldn't say he's any better than an average squad player. Doucore is naturally a dm the same as Kouyate so that's why I think Doucore is more of a replacement for him. Whoever has replaced who I think we all know that we're massively lacking in midfield and the manager hasn't got a clue how to deal with it.
We're in such a mess I'd experiment a bit by dropping Eze (not been great) and Schlupp (disaster) and play Hughes and Jairo in front of Doucore and let Hughes roam forward when possible. Would add more strength to the middle and whatever people think of them they are both intelligent players that can pick out a pass going forward, as long as the forwards feel like adding a bit of movement to their game, which is seriously lacking at the moment.
Cant be any worse than it is at the moment.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace chick's Profile palace chick Flag South Croydon 14 Jan 23 3.07pm Send a Private Message to palace chick Add palace chick as a friend

Originally posted by joe_cpfc

I wouldn't say he's any better than an average squad player. Doucore is naturally a dm the same as Kouyate so that's why I think Doucore is more of a replacement for him. Whoever has replaced who I think we all know that we're massively lacking in midfield and the manager hasn't got a clue how to deal with it.
We're in such a mess I'd experiment a bit by dropping Eze (not been great) and Schlupp (disaster) and play Hughes and Jairo in front of Doucore and let Hughes roam forward when possible. Would add more strength to the middle and whatever people think of them they are both intelligent players that can pick out a pass going forward, as long as the forwards feel like adding a bit of movement to their game, which is seriously lacking at the moment.
Cant be any worse than it is at the moment.

I donít disagree with you, but PV wonít play this way. Whoever he puts in the way he sets the midfield up it still is unbalanced and unsupportive for the defence and forwards? When he plays what seems like an attacking midfield (eg Eze, Olise) we hardly have any attempts on goal. I donít think he knows how to sort it. Mind you, last time I said he was clueless was before the Bournemouth match so perhaps we will get that performance tomorrow :-)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 14 Jan 23 5.44pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

I think I have a possible solution to the midfield conundrum.
What are we missing,
- an experienced and consistent player who can make an immediate difference and is rarely injured
- a player who can play a variety of roles in midfield
- a captain and leader on the field with some bite to his game
- a set piece and penalty specialist who chips in with goals and assists in double figures every season and has an excellent shot.
The answer- buy James Ward Prowse who can do all the above and more.
Obviously this is tongue in cheek and heís a player thatís loathed by Palace fans, but his range of skills highlight the areas in which we are sadly lacking.
Southampton are as reliant on him as we have been on Wilf for years.
And like Wilf Iím surprised no top clubs have ever bitten and taken him on board.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palacesince64's Profile Palacesince64 Flag Edinburgh 14 Jan 23 7.10pm Send a Private Message to Palacesince64 Add Palacesince64 as a friend

Heís an irritating little so and so but I wish he was our irritating little so and so! If he was available heíd be a great signing with the obvious bonus that Southampton would be a certainty for one of the relegation slots without him.

I think I have a possible solution to the midfield conundrum.
What are we missing,
- an experienced and consistent player who can make an immediate difference and is rarely injured
- a player who can play a variety of roles in midfield
- a captain and leader on the field with some bite to his game
- a set piece and penalty specialist who chips in with goals and assists in double figures every season and has an excellent shot.
The answer- buy James Ward Prowse who can do all the above and more.
Obviously this is tongue in cheek and heís a player thatís loathed by Palace fans, but his range of skills highlight the areas in which we are sadly lacking.
Southampton are as reliant on him as we have been on Wilf for years.
And like Wilf Iím surprised no top clubs have ever bitten and taken him on board.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Midfield