You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Overseas Students
June 1 2023 10.57am

Overseas Students

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 3 << First< 1 2 3

 

View newickeagle's Profile newickeagle Flag Newick, E Sussex 24 May 23 9.34am Send a Private Message to newickeagle Add newickeagle as a friend

Badger, that does not deal with the here and now. If people are ripping off the system then they should be made to work, but sorting that out takes time and assumes a level of competence to achieve that end. Something I would argue is distinctly lacking in public life generally, so it ain't going to happen.

On the subject of students, it seems to me they are not part of the issue you identify. They are paying massive fees, Wisbech has identified that they pay NHS supplement and visa fees etc. They bring people with them who want to work. No probs as far as I'm concerned. We need workers. Oh, and I think I picked up on this thread that they aren't entitled to benefits.

Get our people working is fine in theory, this argument has been doing the rounds since I was born, doesn't help businesses to staff today.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 24 May 23 9.45am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by newickeagle

Badger, that does not deal with the here and now. If people are ripping off the system then they should be made to work, but sorting that out takes time and assumes a level of competence to achieve that end. Something I would argue is distinctly lacking in public life generally, so it ain't going to happen.

On the subject of students, it seems to me they are not part of the issue you identify. They are paying massive fees, Wisbech has identified that they pay NHS supplement and visa fees etc. They bring people with them who want to work. No probs as far as I'm concerned. We need workers. Oh, and I think I picked up on this thread that they aren't entitled to benefits.

Get our people working is fine in theory, this argument has been doing the rounds since I was born, doesn't help businesses to staff today.

I didn't actually say people were ripping off the system although some no doubt are. No the system is wrong we have record levels of people signed off for one reason or another this is hidden unemployment.

I am not saying these students are dodgy either however they still need somewhere to live, public transport and yes the healthcare system which doesn't have enough doctors and nurses.

Meanwhile AI and other technologies will soon mean loads of good jobs disappearing and yet the politicians answer to all of the above is to increase migration.

Trying to put a quart into a pint pot.

Edited by Badger11 (24 May 2023 9.46am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 24 May 23 9.49am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Surprisingly Wisbech is incorrect again.

Dependents can work and having done so and paid NI contributions will be entitled to some benefits such as statutory sick pay and others upon application.

The " no recourse to public funds " visa condition is not quite what is appears.

We give illegal migrants all found and spending money so you can be sure that legal immigrants will not be turned away

 


Responsibility Deficit Disorder is a medical condition. Symptoms include inability to be corrected when wrong, false sense of superiority, desire to share personal info no else cares about, general hubris. It's a medical issue rather than pure arrogance.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 24 May 23 12.57pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

While thetax-paying public are bearing any 'costs' associated with failing parts of the system, you can be sure people near the top will be rolling in cash.

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 24 May 23 4.32pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

Surprisingly Wisbech is incorrect again.

Dependents can work and having done so and paid NI contributions will be entitled to some benefits such as statutory sick pay and others upon application.

The " no recourse to public funds " visa condition is not quite what is appears.

We give illegal migrants all found and spending money so you can be sure that legal immigrants will not be turned away

From what I can see on the gov.uk website only if they are a dependent of a "government-sponsored" student. Others will have "no recourse to public funds" on their visa, just as most on a family route do. "Government-sponsored" means sponsored by a foreign government to come here to study, or carry out research.

It's nothing like as easy as you want to picture it.

Illegal immigration is completely different. They have not undergone any checks, have no money and cannot yet be deported. It might appear totally unfair and irrational, but it's the way it is.

Don't ignore the need for them to show they have sufficient money to cover those assumed costs.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 24 May 23 4.44pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

There is nit picking and then there is posting nonsense, you did the latter!

Nit picking would be to point out your usual poor use of English, but I won't go there

Edited by HKOwen (24 May 2023 9.17am)

Edited by HKOwen (24 May 2023 9.21am)

I posted what I believed was true, and have corrected a little error which is completely irrelevant to the central point made. Which has now been lost to those determined to pick over my posts and jump on anything they can. If that's not nit-picking then you don't know a nit from a flea and are probably riddled with them.

I don't always double-check my English, especially when replying to pedantic posts. I have better things to do. I don't though generally have to edit two short sentences twice after posting.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 24 May 23 5.04pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Forest Hillbilly

While thetax-paying public are bearing any 'costs' associated with failing parts of the system, you can be sure people near the top will be rolling in cash.

And their employees will be paying tax. This is part of the politics of envy. People at the top still pay tax and tbh in a year or two itís probably a ton more than most of us would pay in a lifetime. Itís this way or venezuala l. I know where Iím at

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 24 May 23 9.01pm Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I posted what I believed was true, and have corrected a little error which is completely irrelevant to the central point made. Which has now been lost to those determined to pick over my posts and jump on anything they can. If that's not nit-picking then you don't know a nit from a flea and are probably riddled with them.

I don't always double-check my English, especially when replying to pedantic posts. I have better things to do. I don't though generally have to edit two short sentences twice after posting.

As ever , a post to make me smile, now back to topic

 


Responsibility Deficit Disorder is a medical condition. Symptoms include inability to be corrected when wrong, false sense of superiority, desire to share personal info no else cares about, general hubris. It's a medical issue rather than pure arrogance.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 24 May 23 9.21pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

As ever , a post to make me smile, now back to topic

As ever, a post which says nothing about anything, other than yourself,

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 25 May 23 7.04am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

4m unemployed

[Link]

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 3 << First< 1 2 3

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Overseas Students