You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Team for Liverpool - Match Thread
June 24 2024 4.41pm

Team for Liverpool - Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 17 of 23 < 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >

 

View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 10 Dec 23 3.34pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Originally posted by berlinpalace


It was a really weak bit of play by the Liverpool lad who just panicked when he realised he’d f***ed up, threw himself to the ground and tried to grab the ball. I really don’t see how anyone who’s played the game at any decent level can think Hughes fouled him? There’s no reason for VAR to get involved, the referee was right on top of it and waved play on. There’s no contact on the feet or hands in the back.

Agree with this 100% went to ground really easily.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 10 Dec 23 3.38pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

Agree with this 100% went to ground really easily.

. . . & Ayew doesn't?

 


I'm a blind man, i'm a blind man, now my room is cold,
When a blind man cries, Lord, he feels it from his soul.
[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Norbury Old Git's Profile Norbury Old Git Flag London 10 Dec 23 3.40pm Send a Private Message to Norbury Old Git Add Norbury Old Git as a friend

Referees are under greater pressure than ever to make decisions in favour of the big television money earners of the League. This is not to say that all referees are corrupt but a select few can be relied upon to ensure the “right” result. It is my opinion that former head of PGMOL, Mike Riley, promoted mainly those referees based within 75 miles of his Sheffield home to keep a close eye on their compliance with his directives. Two that have been revealed by whistleblowers and aired on radio are that referees must follow the directions of VAR and that where possible not to send off the high profile players because those are the ones television viewers want to see. Jordan Ayew is definitely not one of these.

Whether yesterday’s referee fell into this category one can only speculate. There is also, however, the issue of incompetence. If you pick 18 out of 22 referees from such a small area you are inevitably going to pick up quite a bit of dross. We now have only two referees based south of Birmingham, that is more than half the population of England, professional football clubs ( the National League North is supplemented by southern teams to make up numbers) and 10 of 20 Premier League sides. There are no referees from the London area with Tim Robinson of West Sussex being the nearest representative.

If Durham and Fylde can have 6 of the 20 Select Group 2 referees the chances of us getting a fair, nationally balanced and neutral referees panel is a long way off.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 10 Dec 23 3.43pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Just to add insult to injury, Palace have been fined £25k for indiscipline . . . [Link]

 


I'm a blind man, i'm a blind man, now my room is cold,
When a blind man cries, Lord, he feels it from his soul.
[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 10 Dec 23 3.46pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Norbury Old Git

Referees are under greater pressure than ever to make decisions in favour of the big television money earners of the League. This is not to say that all referees are corrupt but a select few can be relied upon to ensure the “right” result. It is my opinion that former head of PGMOL, Mike Riley, promoted mainly those referees based within 75 miles of his Sheffield home to keep a close eye on their compliance with his directives. Two that have been revealed by whistleblowers and aired on radio are that referees must follow the directions of VAR and that where possible not to send off the high profile players because those are the ones television viewers want to see. Jordan Ayew is definitely not one of these.

Whether yesterday’s referee fell into this category one can only speculate. There is also, however, the issue of incompetence. If you pick 18 out of 22 referees from such a small area you are inevitably going to pick up quite a bit of dross. We now have only two referees based south of Birmingham, that is more than half the population of England, professional football clubs ( the National League North is supplemented by southern teams to make up numbers) and 10 of 20 Premier League sides. There are no referees from the London area with Tim Robinson of West Sussex being the nearest representative.

If Durham and Fylde can have 6 of the 20 Select Group 2 referees the chances of us getting a fair, nationally balanced and neutral referees panel is a long way off.

May I just say, what an excellent post NOG.

 


I'm a blind man, i'm a blind man, now my room is cold,
When a blind man cries, Lord, he feels it from his soul.
[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 10 Dec 23 4.12pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by berlinpalace


It was a really weak bit of play by the Liverpool lad who just panicked when he realised he’d f***ed up, threw himself to the ground and tried to grab the ball. I really don’t see how anyone who’s played the game at any decent level can think Hughes fouled him? There’s no reason for VAR to get involved, the referee was right on top of it and waved play on. There’s no contact on the feet or hands in the back.

VAR is entitled to intervene as it was the attacking phase leading up to the penalty decision.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elpis's Profile Elpis Flag In a pub 10 Dec 23 4.12pm Send a Private Message to Elpis Add Elpis as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I think the first penalty should have stood.

I didn’t see any identification of the exact moment a foul was committed. Hughes hassled their guy off the ball, he elected to fall over, it’s a contact sport. Furthermore the ref played on and had to stare at a VAR screen for some duration of time. It’s therefore a million miles from ‘clear and obvious’ before even considering it a foul in a first instance, in a contact sport.

The JPM penalty is stonewall, there’s no debate. There were an equal amount of fouls between the sides however a sincerely disproportionate issuing of cards. Both Ayew yellows were dubious and where the ambiguity of the rules and their application favours a cheating ref to assist the bigger team. Giving them two yellows in the dying embers is evidence for me of an attempt to cook the books in acknowledgment of this.

There’s ambiguity, subjective decision making, mistakes etc aplenty in football. When the script reads ‘overturned penalty, dodgy sending off and severely lopsided disciplinary action favours the title challengers to come from behind against their minnow opponents’, you know what is taking place. It’s a corrupt sport and a financial and commercial powerhouse. It’s not an even playing field.

Not to mention Van Dick should have been shown a red not a yellow for tripping Eddie .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View berlinpalace's Profile berlinpalace Flag berlin 10 Dec 23 4.26pm Send a Private Message to berlinpalace Add berlinpalace as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

VAR is entitled to intervene as it was the attacking phase leading up to the penalty decision.


And you will be able to point out the obvious error? No trip, no push that would cause a grown man to fall over. Just a well executed press by Hughes.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 10 Dec 23 4.33pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13

Just to add insult to injury, Palace have been fined £25k for indiscipline . . . [Link]

Basically fined for asking for fair play and both teams to be treated equally. That is a crime in the Premier Leagues eyes,

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Online Flag Oxford 10 Dec 23 4.38pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by Norbury Old Git

Referees are under greater pressure than ever to make decisions in favour of the big television money earners of the League. This is not to say that all referees are corrupt but a select few can be relied upon to ensure the “right” result. It is my opinion that former head of PGMOL, Mike Riley, promoted mainly those referees based within 75 miles of his Sheffield home to keep a close eye on their compliance with his directives. Two that have been revealed by whistleblowers and aired on radio are that referees must follow the directions of VAR and that where possible not to send off the high profile players because those are the ones television viewers want to see. Jordan Ayew is definitely not one of these.

Whether yesterday’s referee fell into this category one can only speculate. There is also, however, the issue of incompetence. If you pick 18 out of 22 referees from such a small area you are inevitably going to pick up quite a bit of dross. We now have only two referees based south of Birmingham, that is more than half the population of England, professional football clubs ( the National League North is supplemented by southern teams to make up numbers) and 10 of 20 Premier League sides. There are no referees from the London area with Tim Robinson of West Sussex being the nearest representative.

If Durham and Fylde can have 6 of the 20 Select Group 2 referees the chances of us getting a fair, nationally balanced and neutral referees panel is a long way off.

That’s very informative, I suspected this was the case, but to lazy to check. The more you put the pieces together the more it points to a situation that is quite a way from being beyond suspicion.
It is complicated, if a ref allows one side to consistently foul for instance, without getting a card out , the point being why would they stop using helpful fouls,? In many games they don’t stop , they flow while the opposition are never allowed to, and most times they get the result. Just one example of how easy it can be for a ref to appear clean when in actual fact his inaction helped the game to go in one direction as much as possible, very often enough to influence the result.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Online Flag Oxford 10 Dec 23 5.26pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

Basically fined for asking for fair play and both teams to be treated equally. That is a crime in the Premier Leagues eyes,

Is that donated to the fund for better relations between refs and top six clubs?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 10 Dec 23 7.17pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

With respect, Ayew never received a 'Red' as a result of a robust challenge.The 'Red' was as a result of a second 'Yellow' for a foul preventing a counter-attack.

Clearly there are alternative viewpoints about individual refereeing decisions as there are in most games.
It would appear that to many supporters and those at the club, Andy Madley is a "Blighter" and "Persona Non Grata".

Edited by Willo (10 Dec 2023 1.01pm)

Exactly but Konate did it twice and got no card

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 17 of 23 < 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Team for Liverpool - Match Thread