You are here: Home > Reports > 2002/2003 > Match Report
October 27 2020 8.30am

Cheltenham 1 - 3 Palace

Tue Jul 23 2002 - Friendly

In tonight's pre-season friendly, Palace beat Cheltenham Town 3-1, with two goals from Dougie Freedman and one from Tommy Black.

Palace went one goal down after 20 minutes, but Freedman then replied with two goals after 23 and 34 minutes.

Match Stats

Ground: Whaddon Rd (Attendance: 1837)

Cheltenham: Book, Griffin (Howarth 49), M.Duff, Banks, Victory, McCann (Bird 68), Yates, Milton (L.Williams 46), Devaney (Finnigan 46), Naylor (Kear 85), Spencer (Brough 59).

Goal: Yates 28.

Palace: Clarke, (Kolinko 70), Fleming, Popovic, Austin (Antwi 85), Granville (Frampton 70), Butterfield, Mullins (Hunt 70), Thomson, Routledge, Black, Freedman (G Williams 46).

Sub not used: Rubins.

Goals: Freedman 23, 43, Black 80.

Referee: R J Olivier (West Midlands).

Freedman was rested in the second half, and Black got the last goal on 80 minutes.

Cheltenham had the first chance of the game when Mark Yates fired over from 20 yards.

And then eight minutes after, they went in front as Yates headed down a free-kick from the right, which fell to Tony Naylor who scored.

It didn't take Palace long to get back into the game as Black's mis-directed shot fell to Freedman, who netted from close range.

Shortly after, Martin Devaney forced Matt Clarke into a save and the ball fell to Damien Spencer, who saw his shot blocked on the line by a defender. He had another chance to score, but put it wide.

But in the 38th minute, Freedman made it 2-1 when he was put through by Black and slotted home.

Black then had a shot saved, with Wayne Routledge blazing the rebound over the bar and Book was on hand to save a Tony Popovic header.

Clarke saved an effort from Yates and Black had two chances of his own wide of the post. But he finally got a goal in the 80th minute following a one-two with sub Gareth Williams.

You are here: Home > Reports > 2002/2003 > Match Report