You are here: Home > News > Linighan sacked
August 31 2025 6.22am

Linighan sacked

October 12 2000

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace veteran defender Andy Linighan has been sacked by the club. It is said that his contract has been cancelled by mutual consent and that he will be paid up in full. This following an "unacceptable" incident on a club trip to Spain.

It is speculated now that the former Arsenal man may now deiced to retire from the game

Linighan commented: I am leaving the club by mutual consent. I have enjoyed my years here and the fans have been good."

"But I was not getting in the team at the beginning of this season and obviously I would have liked to be."

"It is probably in the best interests of the club and myself if I move on."

"I think it did surprise me not getting a team place again this season after playing all last season and being voted player of year, but the writing was on the wall for me then. And we all know anyway that a new manager has new ideas."

"I will have a few weeks off and time with my family, keep fit and see what happens."

Chairman Simon Jordan said: "There was no physicality nonsense with Andy Linighan. But he showed inappropriate conduct in Spain."

"All parties have dealt with the matter appropriately. By mutual agreement Andy's contract has been terminated, being paid up in full."

Manager Alan Smith added: "This incident has not really been reported properly so far and there was no fight between anybody on the trip."

Latest Headlines

Palace Talk Forum Latest

Yeremy Pino
at 6.10am by park the bus

Steve PLEASE don’t sell Marc
at 3.17am by crvenaeagle

Uefa Conference League
at 11.48pm by Casual

Villa Predictions
at 11.15pm by pssguy

Marc Guéhi
at 11.01pm by Nicholas91

Pino song
at 10.52pm by Nicholas91

Dublin....Palace
at 9.45pm by cotopaxi

selhurst stadium speakers
at 6.40pm by mileend

Loaned-Out Players
at 5.46pm by Eagleman13

Bromley v Palace U21 EFL trophy
at 5.34pm by Dogburger

You are here: Home > News > Linighan sacked