You are here: Home > News > Dowie: More signings imminent
May 28 2022 8.01am

Dowie: More signings imminent

July 21 2004

Iain Dowie

Iain Dowie

Iain Dowie is hoping to bring in "four or five new bodies" before the season kicks off on August 14, by Joseph O'Shea.

The 39-year-old Palace boss has already added Finnish winger Joonas Kolkka to last week's triple capture of Dundee goalkeeper Julian Speroni, Fulham's Mark Hudson and Luton right back Emmerson Boyce.

But he and brother Bob Dowie, Palace's new director of football, are working feverishly behind the scenes to bring the number of senior squad players to 22 before the start of the season.

Dowie said: "In my mindset I am looking to get four or five more bodies over the line before the start of the season. We have still got just under a month to go and we need to get some more in."

One protracted transfer which could reach completion this week is the signing of MTK Budapest striker Sandor Torghelle, 22.

Palace are said to have offered the Hungarian international a four-year deal after beating off competition from Dutch side Roda JC.

The Dutch side's website said on Tuesday: "He appears to have eventually chosen Crystal Palace."

Torghelle has scored three goals in seven games for his country, but Dowie is refusing to comment on the link.

He said: "I will comment on it when it's done and over the line."

Dowie is still guarded against a repeat of the 2million Tim Cahill transfer from Millwall, which fell through on personal terms after both clubs had publicised the deal.

He said: "It was less than ideal that it was all over the papers before we got to see the boy."

A striker is now an even greater priority after captain Neil Shipperley was forced home from tour with tendonitis in his knee.

Dowie said: "We will wait and see how that settles down. Shipps can't afford to miss pre-season training, not going into the Premier League, so we will have to wait and see how he recovers."

One striking target, Aston Villa's 31-year-old striker Marcus Allback should decide his future when he returns to his club from holiday this week. The Swedish international is available for 500,000 and is being chased by Palace, Fenerbahce, PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord.

Palace are also being linked with a 1million move for West Ham striker Marlon Harewood, while midfielder Michael Carrick looks set to

replace Gary Speed at hometown club Newcastle.

Hungarian goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly, 28, returned home after Palace's tour of Northern

Ireland, and is considering Palace's contract offer. But Dowie revealed that although the Hertha Berlin goalkeeper did well on trial, he is still pursuing other targets including Sunderland's Thomas Myhre who spent three months on loan at Sunderland last season.

Dowie said: "Kiraly did very well. He was combative, took his crosses well and was confident throughout. It's an issue we will look at, but there is one or two others."

And despite signing two defenders and a goalkeeper, Dowie is still looking to strengthen all areas.

He added: "I am in the market for good players that will be able to take this club forward in the future not just this year. So there's certainly one more defensive minded player that I'd like to bring in and there's several other area that we do need to strengthen."

Palace have given a trial to former Tottenham youth player Mario Noto. The Enfield born 19-year-old, who can play in midfield or up front spent two months at Reading after being release by Spurs last season.

Latest Headlines

Palace Talk Forum Latest

Marc Guehi
at 12.18am by dreamwaverider

Strikers
at 10.33pm by dreamwaverider

Marc Guehi
at 8.48pm by dynamicdick

Strikers
at 8.20pm by EddieMac

Goalkeepers
at 8.11pm by EddieMac

Strikers
at 7.22pm by doombear

You are here: Home > News > Dowie: More signings imminent