You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > London Property Market
May 26 2022 2.42pm

London Property Market

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View Ouzo Dan's Profile Ouzo Dan 09 Nov 15 7.45am Send a Private Message to Ouzo Dan Add Ouzo Dan as a friend

Quote Vaibow at 08 Nov 2015 8.54pm

That's basically a caravan, but it just goes to show with quality materials and a bit of thought, what can be achieved.

Steel & Timber construction vs Plastic & Fibreglass
The interiors tend to look as good as any fancy london apartment if not better, it's superior to a caravan.
I agree however that building homes in this country is a grey, unimaginative & void of ideas.

Quote
Thing is, not everyone is proud enough of content with themselves to live like that - people want more to look better, etc.

Tiny homes are not for everyone just like narrow boats, mansions & studio flats etc.
The amount you invest in something has absolutely no relation to how much you look after it.
Tiny homes can look amazing
[Link]

Quote
My dad - who is a land lord, a very good, fair one at that has turned lots of his units into smaller studio flats as that what the demand is increasing in. A lot of people want just a bed to sleep in and a kitchen area.

See Tiny homes

Utility bills are stupidly cheap, They give people a platform to either consolidate or aim for bricks & mortar, no one is getting fingered in the arse by landlords/banks.
Parents can finally get rid of their 30yr old living in the loft/spare room.
Aspirations are really a subjective thing.
One of the great benefits of tiny homes is if it fails & becomes an eyesore, they can be removed with ease & with minimal expense compared to a miserable council block that will sit there for 150 years.
If managed correctly tiny homes can make a massive difference to the housing problems we face in & around London.

Edited by Ouzo Dan (09 Nov 2015 7.46am)

Edited by Ouzo Dan (09 Nov 2015 7.47am)

 


Sex Panther 60% of the time it works every time

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stuk's Profile Stuk Flag Top half 09 Nov 15 1.29pm Send a Private Message to Stuk Add Stuk as a friend

Quote Ouzo Dan at 08 Nov 2015 6.56pm

All I want is something similar to the picture attached, it costs about about £10,000 theres no landlords, no banks just a debt free simple life, I dont think that is much to ask is it?

Despite working 6 days a week I can neither afford to rent because Landlords are f***ing me for £800 a month for a room or go down the mortgage route because all I can get is £80,000 & be a slave to a mortgage provider for the next 25 years which even if I did buy now it would take me up to 58 when im finally free of the bank, its all a bit s*** really.

With the population on the rise things need to change quite drastically in this country if we are to have any hope of housing everyone.

There is a f*** ton of money to be had in alternative housing that undercuts the current stranglehold landlords & banks have on the market, its just going to take someone with a bit of money & be brave enough to try something different.

Only if you buy the land to put it on, which would cost a lot more than £10K. Otherwise you'll still have a landlord.

 


Optimistic as ever

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stuk's Profile Stuk Flag Top half 09 Nov 15 1.30pm Send a Private Message to Stuk Add Stuk as a friend

Quote Harpo at 08 Nov 2015 9.36pm

Quote johnfirewall at 08 Nov 2015 1.59pm

Never mind Thatcher. What about right to buy now? Shouldn't be right that a council property is the best chance of getting your foot on the ladder.

I don't usually disagree with Boris but new flats that are immediately sold to Asian investors is just wrong and only benefits the developer, owner and councils. You can't keep building in London with minimum prices of 300k while people are forced to pay 500 quid a month for a damp shoebox.

Everyone talks about taxing the rich, while they happily pay someone's 20th mortgage. Tax the developers too so there's an incentive to build cheaper and if they don't want to build, then the councils should have to rather than simply sanctioning the building of thousands of new flats while having no further say in the cost or who gets them. Another case for taking power back from them.

Edited by johnfirewall (08 Nov 2015 2.00pm)


We don't want to build cheaper - today's cheap housing is tomorrow's slum, with all the inherent problems that that brings.

What is needed is to lend cheaper
, so that future generations will take a pride in their community.

Aspiration rather than desperation.

Lending has never been cheaper, has it?

 


Optimistic as ever

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Flag hove actually 09 Nov 15 1.36pm Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Well they'll be a correction sooner or later - there always is, and that will be the time to buy.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ouzo Dan's Profile Ouzo Dan 09 Nov 15 1.55pm Send a Private Message to Ouzo Dan Add Ouzo Dan as a friend

Quote Stuk at 09 Nov 2015 1.29pm

Quote Ouzo Dan at 08 Nov 2015 6.56pm

All I want is something similar to the picture attached, it costs about about £10,000 theres no landlords, no banks just a debt free simple life, I dont think that is much to ask is it?

Despite working 6 days a week I can neither afford to rent because Landlords are f***ing me for £800 a month for a room or go down the mortgage route because all I can get is £80,000 & be a slave to a mortgage provider for the next 25 years which even if I did buy now it would take me up to 58 when im finally free of the bank, its all a bit s*** really.

With the population on the rise things need to change quite drastically in this country if we are to have any hope of housing everyone.

There is a f*** ton of money to be had in alternative housing that undercuts the current stranglehold landlords & banks have on the market, its just going to take someone with a bit of money & be brave enough to try something different.

Only if you buy the land to put it on, which would cost a lot more than £10K. Otherwise you'll still have a landlord.

You can already crowd fund the purchase of properties with the intention of letting them out & collecting a percentage of the rent each month.
[Link]

Its only a matter of time before people rally together & compete against developers for land & I reckon this will be the the foot in the door that tiny homes & other ideas need.
I for one fully support it, I would hazard a guess there are millions of people with the funds available to slot in between social housing, renting in london & that of purchasing bricks & mortar.

Things are slowly changing in this country, the stranglehold developers have on property will weaken & things like non centralised banking is only going to get bigger, it will be interesting to see how governments cope when VAT all but dries up.

I say all this as someone who believes in the capitalist system, its just inevitable that things will change, they have to or it stagnates to a point where we really do have slums.


Edited by Ouzo Dan (09 Nov 2015 2.15pm)

 


Sex Panther 60% of the time it works every time

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Frickin Saweet's Profile Frickin Saweet Flag South Cronx 09 Nov 15 2.24pm Send a Private Message to Frickin Saweet Add Frickin Saweet as a friend

Quote Vaibow at 08 Nov 2015 8.54pm

That's basically a caravan, but it just goes to show with quality materials and a bit of thought, what can be achieved.

Thing is, not everyone is proud enough of content with themselves to live like that - people want more to look better, etc.

My dad - who is a land lord, a very good, fair one at that has turned lots of his units into smaller studio flats as that what the demand is increasing in. A lot of people want just a bed to sleep in and a kitchen area.

On the other scale, my wife, her aunt has bought an apartment in london, by the thames, a flash looking studio flat, tiny, but nearly half a million.

You could argue it's a good investment, but seriously, she only bought it cos it looks 'glam'.

Apparently a lot of europeans rent for life and pass on the lease to their families as it's easier/cheaper. not too sure the whole evidence or validation of that.

should read 'can only afford a bed to sleep in and a kitchen area'.

Lived on Clyde Road, East Croydon for 4 years and all of the 4-storey houses are converted into flats. It's not a case of people wanting to live in smaller dwellings but a case of affordability.

That said, what I made on my 1-bed flat there allowed me to move into 3-bed semi in Riddlesdown, which I wouldn't swap for a pokey little flat in Mayfair (unless I could keep the £14mil profit when I sold it and bought my house back)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 07 Apr 22 2.43pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Iíve been wondering when the next housing crash might happen. Hereís a view from The Independent [Link]

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 07 Apr 22 2.50pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

Well they'll be a correction sooner or later - there always is, and that will be the time to buy.

Certainly one day...God knows when though.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 07 Apr 22 2.51pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by Ouzo Dan

Quote Stuk at 09 Nov 2015 1.29pm

Quote Ouzo Dan at 08 Nov 2015 6.56pm

All I want is something similar to the picture attached, it costs about about £10,000 theres no landlords, no banks just a debt free simple life, I dont think that is much to ask is it?

Despite working 6 days a week I can neither afford to rent because Landlords are f***ing me for £800 a month for a room or go down the mortgage route because all I can get is £80,000 & be a slave to a mortgage provider for the next 25 years which even if I did buy now it would take me up to 58 when im finally free of the bank, its all a bit s*** really.

With the population on the rise things need to change quite drastically in this country if we are to have any hope of housing everyone.

There is a f*** ton of money to be had in alternative housing that undercuts the current stranglehold landlords & banks have on the market, its just going to take someone with a bit of money & be brave enough to try something different.

Only if you buy the land to put it on, which would cost a lot more than £10K. Otherwise you'll still have a landlord.

You can already crowd fund the purchase of properties with the intention of letting them out & collecting a percentage of the rent each month.
[Link]

Its only a matter of time before people rally together & compete against developers for land & I reckon this will be the the foot in the door that tiny homes & other ideas need.
I for one fully support it, I would hazard a guess there are millions of people with the funds available to slot in between social housing, renting in london & that of purchasing bricks & mortar.

Things are slowly changing in this country, the stranglehold developers have on property will weaken & things like non centralised banking is only going to get bigger, it will be interesting to see how governments cope when VAT all but dries up.

I say all this as someone who believes in the capitalist system, its just inevitable that things will change, they have to or it stagnates to a point where we really do have slums.


Edited by Ouzo Dan (09 Nov 2015 2.15pm)

Developers and landlord property owners appear to be getting bigger. The other thing thatíll happen is huge inheritance taxes, because of population sizes, government debts and the predicted change to owning nothing or very little but being manipulated by government and big business. Highly educated workforce on low pay with no children or very few and small spaces to live in. Automation will also hurt working or able or willing to work people. Gloom.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 07 Apr 22 2.57pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman



Developers and landlord property owners appear to be getting bigger.
The other thing thatíll happen is huge inheritance taxes, because of population sizes, government debts and the predicted change to owning nothing or very little but being manipulated by government and big business. Highly educated workforce on low pay with no children or very few and small spaces to live in. Automation will also hurt working or able or willing to work people. Gloom.

Indeed. I notice that John Lewis are to build 10000 rental properties on their land. They know what brings in the £££ and unfortunately due to spiraling house prices (and rent) and it's a no brainer. A combination of mass immigration, no real effort over decades to build enough houses, and landlord MPs, I feel has ended up with them having people exactly where they want them. The intention all along.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 07 Apr 22 3.05pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

Indeed. I notice that John Lewis are to build 10000 rental properties on their land. They know what brings in the £££ and unfortunately due to spiraling house prices (and rent) and it's a no brainer. A combination of mass immigration, no real effort over decades to build enough houses, and landlord MPs, I feel has ended up with them having people exactly where they want them. The intention all along.

If only we could all leave this developing pit and start again in a warmer country and swap place with huge numbers of economic migrants.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 07 Apr 22 3.22pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

If only we could all leave this developing pit and start again in a warmer country and swap place with huge numbers of economic migrants.

It certainly hasn't done many favours for the average working man both in terms of being priced out workwise and having somewhere to live. It's still a salvageable situation to an extent if have a national house building program, but I don't trust our government or other parties to deliver on that. There are too many advantages to them not bothering. Making us a nation of renters (and expensive to rent at that) was the plan all along in my view.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > London Property Market