You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > London Property Market
November 30 2022 3.00pm

London Property Market

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 07 Apr 22 8.13pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

For the sake of those more deserving, I certainly hope you're right!

Yeah we’ll have to wait and see but anyone investing in property now rather than to live in long term is getting in at a risky time. Lots of things hinting a drop or worse. It doesn’t take long to see what the London response is these days.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
BlueJay Flag UK 07 Apr 22 8.19pm

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Yeah we’ll have to wait and see but anyone investing in property now rather than to live in long term is getting in at a risky time. Lots of things hinting a drop or worse. It doesn’t take long to see what the London response is these days.

Yes, that's very true. People talk of how difficult these things are to predict (which they are), but considering the relentless rise over the last couple of years, along with rising energy prices and so on, it is starting to look unsustainable.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 07 Apr 22 8.26pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

Yes, that's very true. People talk of how difficult these things are to predict (which they are), but considering the relentless rise over the last couple of years, along with rising energy prices and so on, it is starting to look unsustainable.

Better to look outside of London for investments if anybody is but there are still places that need ripping apart and London’s outskirts might be as rewarding. You always thought they’d never become available again but they do. Not everyone is obsessed with home improvements or maintenance and there’s of course extensions.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View the.universal's Profile the.universal 07 Apr 22 8.41pm Send a Private Message to the.universal Add the.universal as a friend

Anyone hoping or waiting for the London house price market to crash will have a long wait, in my opinion.

There are some factors likely to bring down house prices: cost of living increases, rising interest rates, strong recent gains in prices over the last year.

However, they key issues of supply and demand remain. Demand is high and supply will remain fairly constant (increasing a little but household size is also dropping, so we need more supply just to break even).

A real game changer would be more sustainable / pre-fabricated houses but for some reason they have not caught on yet. We’ll have lots of empty offices, so why not turn them into housing?

Hopefully it goes without saying, the London housing market often defies logic, so please don’t quote me on any of the above :0)

 


Vive le Roy!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 07 Apr 22 11.07pm Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

If the Khanate hasn't caused prices to drop then unlikely anything will.

Imagine what the prices would be like with proper policing and crimes being investigated and solved, a sensible transport policy etc etc.

 


Responsibility Deficit Disorder is a medical condition. Symptoms include inability to be corrected when wrong, false sense of superiority, desire to share personal info no else cares about, general hubris. It's a medical issue rather than pure arrogance.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 07 Apr 22 11.11pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

If the Khanate hasn't caused prices to drop then unlikely anything will.

Imagine what the prices would be like with proper policing and crimes being investigated and solved, a sensible transport policy etc etc.

maybe he is doing it on purpose ?

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
BlueJay Flag UK 08 Apr 22 1.24pm

Canada to Ban Foreigners From Buying Homes as Prices Soar - [Link]

"Canada will ban most foreigners from buying homes for two years and provide billions of dollars to spur construction activity in an attempt to cool off a surging real-estate market. "

Looks like some countries are willing to take much more forthright action to bring down property prices somewhat.


Edited by BlueJay (08 Apr 2022 1.26pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 08 Apr 22 2.05pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

If the Khanate hasn't caused prices to drop then unlikely anything will.

Imagine what the prices would be like with proper policing and crimes being investigated and solved, a sensible transport policy etc etc.

99% of people don't care about the London Mayor as much as you - the idea that he personally has a big impact on house prices is silly, as evidenced by the reality.


What's going to make a difference is the masses of people who will be unable to pay rent over the coming months - there will be arrears nationally into the tens of millions and not enough courts and bailiffs in the country to enforce the evictions - this then creates financial pressure on landlords who have over-exposed themselves and the cycle goes on.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 08 Apr 22 2.32pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

Canada to Ban Foreigners From Buying Homes as Prices Soar - [Link]

"Canada will ban most foreigners from buying homes for two years and provide billions of dollars to spur construction activity in an attempt to cool off a surging real-estate market. "

Looks like some countries are willing to take much more forthright action to bring down property prices somewhat.


Edited by BlueJay (08 Apr 2022 1.26pm)

Less than 1% are bought by 'foreigners'.
Typical left wing leader getting clicks with no substance.
Alongside if Johnny foreigner wanted a property they probably know a Canadian anyway so loophole straight there.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 08 Apr 22 2.33pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

99% of people don't care about the London Mayor as much as you - the idea that he personally has a big impact on house prices is silly, as evidenced by the reality.


What's going to make a difference is the masses of people who will be unable to pay rent over the coming months - there will be arrears nationally into the tens of millions and not enough courts and bailiffs in the country to enforce the evictions - this then creates financial pressure on landlords who have over-exposed themselves and the cycle goes on.


Which begs the question of rent prices. If the owners just took the outgoings cost and a small profit this problem wouldn't be so big. Greedy landlords I'm afraid.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 08 Apr 22 2.46pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Which begs the question of rent prices. If the owners just took the outgoings cost and a small profit this problem wouldn't be so big. Greedy landlords I'm afraid.

I think margins are already tighter for landlords than most people realise, particularly in London.

Purchase prices are sky high meaning yields are typically < 5% and there has been a lot of increased regulation which has increased costs quite heavily on landlord sides.

Expecting private individuals to fix this isn't the answer I don't think.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 08 Apr 22 2.47pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Less than 1% are bought by 'foreigners'.
Typical left wing leader getting clicks with no substance.
Alongside if Johnny foreigner wanted a property they probably know a Canadian anyway so loophole straight there.

What % is it in London or the UK as a whole..?

It's an eminently sensible step.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > London Property Market