You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > The Brexit Thread
October 21 2019 11.23pm

The Brexit Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1893 of 2331 < 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 >

 

View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 10 Jun 19 12.17pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by .TUX.

This is old news and little to do with Mrs May tbf.
Global auto sales have been plunging for a long while (also nothing to do with Mrs May).

Agreed I have heard loads of car industry experts on this. China was the big growth market and that has slowed down big time. The rest of the world like the UK is now saying stop producing petrol and diesel cars. It's possibility happened a little too quick because the manufacturers are not yet ready to switch en masse to electric and the infrastructure in the UK is lagging.

The hybrid car was initially seen as the stop gap solution but the public aren't buying into that.

So over production plus buyer uncertainty are the issues. The solution is that the car manufacturers all need the same battery technology so rather than invest separately with money they don't have they are better off either merging or pooling their efforts with joint technology projects.

Meanwhile it would help them if the UK government spent more on infrastructure and possibly offered an incentive to motorists to switch to the new technology.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View .TUX.'s Profile .TUX. Online Flag 10 Jun 19 1.32pm Send a Private Message to .TUX. Add .TUX. as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Agreed I have heard loads of car industry experts on this. China was the big growth market and that has slowed down big time. The rest of the world like the UK is now saying stop producing petrol and diesel cars. It's possibility happened a little too quick because the manufacturers are not yet ready to switch en masse to electric and the infrastructure in the UK is lagging.

The hybrid car was initially seen as the stop gap solution but the public aren't buying into that.

So over production plus buyer uncertainty are the issues. The solution is that the car manufacturers all need the same battery technology so rather than invest separately with money they don't have they are better off either merging or pooling their efforts with joint technology projects.

Meanwhile it would help them if the UK government spent more on infrastructure and possibly offered an incentive to motorists to switch to the new technology.

Yeah, some of the slowdown can be attributed to the 'fuel debate' but realistically most people are already living beyond their means and are just no longer in a position to keep fuelling this current bubble with further debt..............hence the global slowdown (most sectors) for the past year or so.

Worrying times ahead.

 


Buy Litecoin.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 10 Jun 19 2.13pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by .TUX.

This is old news and little to do with Mrs May tbf.
Global auto sales have been plunging for a long while (also nothing to do with Mrs May).

Yes and no.

One of the major reasons for the slowdown is the government's message that diesel is bad which just isn't true.

I drive a modern diesel with a Euro6 engine which is probably cleaner than most petrol engines but because the government haven't acknowledged this it means that manufacturers whose range is mainly diesel ( Jaguar and Land Rover ) are suffering.

Plug in Hybrids aren't selling because the government has withdrawn their grants and people aren't willing to pay the extra for a hybrid

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 10 Jun 19 2.23pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Meanwhile it would help them if the UK government spent more on infrastructure and possibly offered an incentive to motorists to switch to the new technology.

They did offer grants for people buying plug in hybrids but recently withdrew them so people stopped buying.

As an example a BMW 5 series costs £38,000 for the most basic 2 litre petrol engine but the hybrid version costs another £9,000

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 10 Jun 19 2.36pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Yes and no.

One of the major reasons for the slowdown is the government's message that diesel is bad which just isn't true.

I drive a modern diesel with a Euro6 engine which is probably cleaner than most petrol engines but because the government haven't acknowledged this it means that manufacturers whose range is mainly diesel ( Jaguar and Land Rover ) are suffering.

Plug in Hybrids aren't selling because the government has withdrawn their grants and people aren't willing to pay the extra for a hybrid

Surely it is the particulates in diesel that make it harmful because of the harm they can do to the cardiovascular system.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 10 Jun 19 2.41pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Surely it is the particulates in diesel that make it harmful because of the harm they can do to the cardiovascular system.

Euro6 engines remove most if not all of the particulates with a mixture of a particulate filter plus the AdBlue that converts the harmful NOx exhaust gases into harmless nitrogen and water

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 10 Jun 19 3.24pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Euro6 engines remove most if not all of the particulates with a mixture of a particulate filter plus the AdBlue that converts the harmful NOx exhaust gases into harmless nitrogen and water

I was not aware of this.
I have never owned a diesel.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View elgrande's Profile elgrande Flag bedford 10 Jun 19 8.09pm Send a Private Message to elgrande Add elgrande as a friend

My lorry at work is a euro 6,and we fill up with diesel and have a separate tank for ad blue.

 


always a Norwood boy, where ever I live.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rubin's Profile Rubin Flag 11 Jun 19 11.14pm Send a Private Message to Rubin Add Rubin as a friend

Positive article in the Times. Hopefully it will allay the fears of some remainers, those that are concerned about supposed economic issues/job losses that some say would arise in the case of a no deal Brexit.

I would question how politically motivated the responses of the CEOs in the EU are, when contrasted with those outside of the EU.

[Link]

"Business leaders from some of Britain’s most important trading partners expect to be more eager to invest in the UK after Brexit, according to a survey.

A poll of 1,300 chief executives in 11 of the world’s largest economies found bosses from the US, China and Japan — the UK’s top investor and the world’s second and third biggest economies — expect to be more likely to invest in Britain after it leaves the European Union.

KPMG, which conducted the poll, said it showed many international chief executives “still view the UK as an attractive investment destination”. However, chief executives in the EU were significantly less inclined to invest in the UK after Brexit."

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Maine Eagle's Profile Maine Eagle Flag USA 12 Jun 19 2.38pm Send a Private Message to Maine Eagle Add Maine Eagle as a friend

Straight from the horses mouth, Boris does not want a no deal exit at all, but wants to keep in on the table for negotiating a new deal.

Another Tory who thinks the EU will bend over and allow a new deal to be thrashed out.

I was thinking he would get up there and laud the values of a WTO exit, doing his best Farage impression.

He may have lost some ERG support there as several other candidates seem to be more hardline than what I just heard.

 


"We need to look into the Oranges". Commander In Cheat, April 2019.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Online Flag 12 Jun 19 4.23pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

May properly f***ed this country
[Link]

What the hell has she been doing?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Maine Eagle's Profile Maine Eagle Flag USA 12 Jun 19 4.33pm Send a Private Message to Maine Eagle Add Maine Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by dannyboy1978

May properly f***ed this country
[Link]

What the hell has she been doing?

You have to have a screw loose to think no deal is not a huge disaster in waiting. People who think a "WTO" exit is a good idea are 1 - in a big minority and 2 - in cloud cuckoo land.

For May the writing was on the wall long ago that a no deal exit would not get through parliament, and I honestly think she didnt want to be the PM that shot the country in the foot and triggered the worst recession in recent memory.

Trying to run a negotiation with a threat of a mutually unpleasant outcome, which everyone knows is highly unlikely, to try to force your own agenda is not so easy.

I am not saying Theresa May didnt f*** up virtually every major decision, but dont listen to Farage when he makes it sound like concluding a WA with the EU is a piece of piss and he could have done so much better. He has burned all bridges long ago in the EU. You cannot secure good outcomes with people you have existing bad relationships with, it just doesnt work that way.

Dangling no deal could be moot soon, if a cross party group of MPs get their way, as they will legally block any possible method of no deal (prorogue etc).

Many MPs are quite seriously afraid of a new tory leader trying to force no deal through, so they want to stop that at all costs. Keeping it on the table as a negotiation point is secondary to that concern.

[Link]

 


"We need to look into the Oranges". Commander In Cheat, April 2019.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1893 of 2331 < 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > The Brexit Thread