You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Connor Wickham Thread
February 17 2020 11.52pm

The Connor Wickham Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 41 of 48 < 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 03 Jan 20 9.13pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

A fifteen / twenty goal a season forward is unlikely with the way we set up. However, a bare minimum should be that they can hold the ball up and hold opposition defenders off, bring others into play, run the channels and get in the box when it matters.

Iíve seen nothing of that from Benteke after patiently hoping heíll get some kind of form back. Letís be honest heís always been lazy for us but forgiven when heís scored goals.

Against Brighton he was diabolical for 70 minutes, and one of the reasons we struggled. For a big bloke heís as weak as piss.

Wickham has done all of the above in a couple of sub appearances albeit not against the best opposition and despite not being at thepeak of fitness.

Heís not necessarily the answer but shown enough to suggest he shouldnít be dismissed so quickly and can bring us a decent alternative or plan B when we need.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 03 Jan 20 9.20pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle


Seriously mate, can you actually see CW scoring 20 goals in a single season? Not in the prem.

If he got fit and stayed injury free (which in itself would be incredible) I think the most he could get would be 7 or 8 and I think thatís pushing it.


We can only guess can't we, judging his speed and awareness to be the one on the end of Zaha's ball showed massively that he wants to prove to everyone that he can still do it, to me he looks very useful and if he continues as he is he will definitely score more then you suggest ...but then again I'm just guessing lol

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 03 Jan 20 9.28pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

A fifteen / twenty goal a season forward is unlikely with the way we set up. However, a bare minimum should be that they can hold the ball up and hold opposition defenders off, bring others into play, run the channels and get in the box when it matters.

Iíve seen nothing of that from Benteke after patiently hoping heíll get some kind of form back. Letís be honest heís always been lazy for us but forgiven when heís scored goals.

Against Brighton he was diabolical for 70 minutes, and one of the reasons we struggled. For a big bloke heís as weak as piss.

Wickham has done all of the above in a couple of sub appearances albeit not against the best opposition and despite not being at thepeak of fitness.

Heís not necessarily the answer but shown enough to suggest he shouldnít be dismissed so quickly and can bring us a decent alternative or plan B when we need.

We create enough opportunities, it has been the problem that too many of them have been wasted just like Wickham's goal against Norwich, we have had so many balls running across penalty boxes with not a sausage in sight that I've lost count to be honest.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NickinOX's Profile NickinOX Flag Sailing country. 03 Jan 20 9.50pm Send a Private Message to NickinOX Add NickinOX as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

Agree with this... Alan Shearer has picked up on it several times on MOTD over the last couple of seasons... If you watch Benteke closely he does indeed hide in the box.

Spot on. He looks afraid to shoot and avoids getting into position to do so. Wickham was in the right place, which is something Ayew is not consistently doing and Benteke seems to have decided is no longer his thing.

Whether Wickham comes good or not, and I hope he does, we need someone who gets into good scoring positions. Right now we often have no one in the center of the six yard box looking for the ball.

 


If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 03 Jan 20 9.50pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink


We can only guess can't we, judging his speed and awareness to be the one on the end of Zaha's ball showed massively that he wants to prove to everyone that he can still do it, to me he looks very useful and if he continues as he is he will definitely score more then you suggest ...but then again I'm just guessing lol

Because of the nature of the injury that kept him out for most of the period he was missing, and the time it takes to get up to speed, after. Everyone is guessing. He still isnít up to speed , that shows. 90 minutes Saturday , might bring him closer. But the signs are not bad he wonít stick every chance away, but already he shows every sign that itís in his game to get on the end of those balls across the box that have been missed out on so often this season in particular. As RR said his all round game is decent he just needs his fitness.
And thatís the real problem. Will he get it and keep a it?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 03 Jan 20 10.34pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Putitout

Because of the nature of the injury that kept him out for most of the period he was missing, and the time it takes to get up to speed, after. Everyone is guessing. He still isnít up to speed , that shows. 90 minutes Saturday , might bring him closer. But the signs are not bad he wonít stick every chance away, but already he shows every sign that itís in his game to get on the end of those balls across the box that have been missed out on so often this season in particular. As RR said his all round game is decent he just needs his fitness.
And thatís the real problem. Will he get it and keep a it?

An injured player isn't quite able to play exactly the same for the fear of injuring the part he injured again, the fresh memories of all those days, weeks, months and in Wickham's case years of rehabilitation will make every player very slightly alter their movement with running and kicking through this fear, in time it will fade but with this in mind it isn't hard to imagine why new injuries occur through compensation, everyone needs to consider the injury Benteke suffered long before he had surgery, the|Benteke we have today could quite possibly not be coping very well with it hence his performances.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View A89M's Profile A89M Flag Streatham 04 Jan 20 12.19am Send a Private Message to A89M Add A89M as a friend

15-20 goal striker in the premier league is a myth for clubs like Palace, created by pundits from sky and the rest with their boring old cliches. Look at the last few seasons, the only consistent players to hit 20+ goals were Kane, Salah, Mane, Auba and Aguero. 15+ were achieved by Lukaku, Sterling I.e top 6 club players and occasionally on a one of you get the odd mid table club tlike Wilson for Bournemouth.

Wickham can score goals when fit, so will Ayew as heís proving this season. Hopefully wickham can stay fit and weíll have two strikers with very different attributes that can both chip in with a few more goals.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 04 Jan 20 9.01am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink


We can only guess can't we, judging his speed and awareness to be the one on the end of Zaha's ball showed massively that he wants to prove to everyone that he can still do it, to me he looks very useful and if he continues as he is he will definitely score more then you suggest ...but then again I'm just guessing lol


Really?? he will DEFINITELY score more than 7 or 8 goals in a season.. I'm not sure he has scored much more than that in a season ever, and that includes playing in the Championship when he was fit and slimmer.

Happy to put a wager on this if you are so sure?

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 04 Jan 20 9.22am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle


Really?? he will DEFINITELY score more than 7 or 8 goals in a season.. I'm not sure he has scored much more than that in a season ever, and that includes playing in the Championship when he was fit and slimmer.

Happy to put a wager on this if you are so sure?

Living up to one of my nicknames 'Statto' outside of HOL (!), I have conducted some research and discovered the following :

2019/20 1 goal from 5 apps
2018/19 1 goal from 8 apps
2017/18 Possibly missed whole season as no stats available
2016/17 3 goals from 10 apps
2015/16 6 goals from 24 apps
2014/15 6 goals from 40 apps
2013/14 15 goals from 34 apps
2012/13 2 goals from 23 apps
2011/12 1 goal from 19 apps
2010/11 9 goals from 41 apps
2009/10 6 goals from 29 apps
2008/09 0 goals from 2 apps

I have no information as to how many starts he made amongst the apps I have listed.

Edited by Willo (04 Jan 2020 9.26am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 04 Jan 20 11.33am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Willo, just wondering what Connor's assist record is like - any stats?
The reason I ask is that it's clear (to me at least) he's not the solution as our main striker, but I wonder how things might look if he had another forward working with him.

Living up to one of my nicknames 'Statto' outside of HOL (!), I have conducted some research and discovered the following :

2019/20 1 goal from 5 apps
2018/19 1 goal from 8 apps
2017/18 Possibly missed whole season as no stats available
2016/17 3 goals from 10 apps
2015/16 6 goals from 24 apps
2014/15 6 goals from 40 apps
2013/14 15 goals from 34 apps
2012/13 2 goals from 23 apps
2011/12 1 goal from 19 apps
2010/11 9 goals from 41 apps
2009/10 6 goals from 29 apps
2008/09 0 goals from 2 apps

I have no information as to how many starts he made amongst the apps I have listed.

Edited by Willo (04 Jan 2020 9.26am)


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 04 Jan 20 11.37am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

The point is that Wickham can't really be judged until he's properly fit. That means free from injury and fully match ready.

At the moment he is free from injury.

He needs games on a regular basis and I don't think he will get that with Palace because we can't afford the luxury of starting him every week while he is still so rusty.

The obvious answer is to loan him for the rest of the season in the hope that he comes back in the summer in the right physical condition to be considered for a starting place.

I think it all depends on what we do this transfer window.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 04 Jan 20 11.49am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

The point is that Wickham can't really be judged until he's properly fit. That means free from injury and fully match ready.

At the moment he is free from injury.

He needs games on a regular basis and I don't think he will get that with Palace because we can't afford the luxury of starting him every week while he is still so rusty.

The obvious answer is to loan him for the rest of the season in the hope that he comes back in the summer in the right physical condition to be considered for a starting place.

I think it all depends on what we do this transfer window.


Unless we bring in a proven striker of quality during January then there is no way will loan him.

If Ayew gets injured then Conner becomes our number one. But of a worry.


 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 41 of 48 < 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Connor Wickham Thread