You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread
June 24 2021 12.43pm

The Benteke thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 274 of 277 < 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View kev64's Profile kev64 Flag Cambs 03 Jun 21 1.56pm Send a Private Message to kev64 Add kev64 as a friend

Originally posted by Putitout


Benteke s contribution to the side has been widely underrated by many. Yes the goals dried up for him, though scoring has proved hard by anyone in the way the side has approached playing in this league, But his overall contribution has mostly been as good or better than any of the others given that deep target man job that he has so often been. For much of his time he has been picking up much to deep because of the teams inability to play higher up the pitch. More recently he has shown that the goals are still there in the right conditions, It would cost some decent money to get a player capable of giving what he has done, certainly in this recent period.
Why give him a contract, before a new manager? Why give him away if the new manager doesnít like him? The chances are most of the candidates likely to take the job would want him anyway , just as the Belgium, national team want him. But if that was not so, he wonít go to Turkey for nothing.

Iím not knocking the deal , makes sense , proven prem player, we know what we get, sign on fee and more than likely reduced terms (heís 30) , better than 20 mill for unknown quantity (money we donít have).

If he gets 10 goals + for the next 2 seasons then itís sensible business. Managers come and go and no incoming manager is going to say no to having Tekkers already in the squad. Itís not like weíre blessed with forward talent.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View grumpymort's Profile grumpymort Flag UK/Thailand 03 Jun 21 1.58pm Send a Private Message to grumpymort Add grumpymort as a friend

Originally posted by rednblueblood

My question is why are we giving him a contract extension with no manager in place, whatís the point if the new head honcho doesnít fancy him and never plays him. Is this a case of our new manager has already agreed terms and wants Big Ben in his plans.....,,, I think I may have answered my own question.


Doesn't matter if new manager wants him or not he is an asset by signing him again means he has value otherwise he walks for free.

I believe new manager has already had handshake deal done with the club and the SP will hold of on announcement until he sees it as best time to gain from it maybe same time new kit is launched.

Regarding Benteke I said it the whole time and over 90% on here just kept saying I was wrong he is useless etc well a large % of that 90 have sure changed their tunes.

You can have the best striker in the world if you do not give them service and a few others things they wont do anything look at Messi at International level.

Edited by grumpymort (03 Jun 2021 2.01pm)

 


AIR VPN - [Link]
SurfShark VPN - [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 03 Jun 21 2.08pm Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


Isn't he already tied down on a table in the treatment room?

No need to Tie him down. Every time he tries to get up from the Treatment Table he does his back in.
Why waste the restraints.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 03 Jun 21 2.18pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by kev64

Andros, on Talk Sport yesterday said he was told players contracts would not be discussed until a new manager was in in place .. he wants to stay in the prem aged 29, but has had Ďoffersí from Turkey (like they all do) .

Then of course Tekkers gets his 2 yr extension ..time will tell, we will soon know if he turned up for the last 4 months to get a deal or Roy showing faith in him really paid off.

I expect they told that to Andros, as not sure they want to keep him. Benteke is different as they donít want to lose him, now he is showing his old form.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Glazier#1's Profile Glazier#1 Flag 03 Jun 21 2.39pm Send a Private Message to Glazier#1 Add Glazier#1 as a friend

The contract's invalid - his signature missed the dotted line.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 03 Jun 21 4.36pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by grumpymort


Doesn't matter if new manager wants him or not he is an asset by signing him again means he has value otherwise he walks for free.

I believe new manager has already had handshake deal done with the club and the SP will hold of on announcement until he sees it as best time to gain from it maybe same time new kit is launched.

Regarding Benteke I said it the whole time and over 90% on here just kept saying I was wrong he is useless etc well a large % of that 90 have sure changed their tunes.

You can have the best striker in the world if you do not give them service and a few others things they wont do anything look at Messi at International level.

Edited by grumpymort (03 Jun 2021 2.01pm)


Agree with you on this GM. Benteke is an asset and now that he's stressing that he's fit and free of injury, he's delivering and it's not just been the last 4 games. He had a good couple of games before Christmas prior to that ridiculous sending off at W Ham for daring to jump for the ball twice and has been good since coming on for the Brighton winner. I'm hopeful he will pick up where he left off BUT he needs the right balls into the box.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 03 Jun 21 4.54pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

On one hand Benteke is an asset with transfer market value of course, which we have now protected. On the other hand but he is also a cost, even at reduced wages (if that's the case).

The third aspect, and the way I look at it, is that to replace Benteke (which we would have to do if he left) would have a cost, and we have now avoided that.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kennybrowns leftfoot's Profile kennybrowns leftfoot Flag Moved Again.. Banstead now Darling... 03 Jun 21 7.40pm Send a Private Message to kennybrowns leftfoot Add kennybrowns leftfoot as a friend

Let's just hope Benteke rewards us by continuing to play like he has in the last few months and not in the last few years...

I have my doubts...

 


Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind, the race is long. But in the end it's only with yourself!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 03 Jun 21 11.35pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

Let's just hope Benteke rewards us by continuing to play like he has in the last few months and not in the last few years...

I have my doubts...

Lets hope so Kenny, I think an injury free Benny will thrive if the new manager makes him the main man, now wilf wants out.Feed the beast and he will deliver, but like any top striker he needs to be fed!Well done on new contract Christian, glad to have you signed!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bexley Eagle's Profile Bexley Eagle Flag Bexley Kent 04 Jun 21 10.47am Send a Private Message to Bexley Eagle Add Bexley Eagle as a friend

If we get the Benteke of 2021 then itís a no brainer. Trouble is I fear he will revert to the Benteke of the previous 3 seasons now he has a fat contract for another 2 years.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ambrose7's Profile ambrose7 Flag Croydon 04 Jun 21 12.09pm Send a Private Message to ambrose7 Add ambrose7 as a friend

Originally posted by rednblueblood

My question is why are we giving him a contract extension with no manager in place, whatís the point if the new head honcho doesnít fancy him and never plays him. Is this a case of our new manager has already agreed terms and wants Big Ben in his plans.....,,, I think I may have answered my own question.

I think because regardless of who the new manager is, a new striker costs >£20m. Abraham is being touted at £35m.

If we spend that, we don't fix the defence properly which will see us relegated. There's no-one else on a free as good as Benteke, and no-one who will do so much more than Benteke that spending >£20m on the difference is good business. We therefore never really had a choice to do anything other than extend Benteke and let him fight it out with Mateta to be the main striker next year.

 


26th January 2010 - Enter Administration
2nd May 2010 - D-Day 1 - Survival at Hillsborough
1st June 2010 - D-Day 2 - Survival at Lloyds
7th June 2010 - CPFC2010 exchange contracts.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 04 Jun 21 12.40pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by ambrose7

I think because regardless of who the new manager is, a new striker costs >£20m. Abraham is being touted at £35m.

If we spend that, we don't fix the defence properly which will see us relegated. There's no-one else on a free as good as Benteke, and no-one who will do so much more than Benteke that spending >£20m on the difference is good business. We therefore never really had a choice to do anything other than extend Benteke and let him fight it out with Mateta to be the main striker next year.


100% this for those who still wonder why we've extended Benteke's contract. We can now focus whatever transfer/loan fee budget we have on fixing other parts of the squad where we are desperate e.g. CB and midfield.

Extending Benteke's contract was a sensible pragmatic decision given our situation.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 274 of 277 < 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread