You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread
January 19 2022 10.08pm

The Benteke thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 272 of 277 < 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 >

 

View pstrutt's Profile pstrutt Flag Busselton, WA 03 Jun 21 11.35am Send a Private Message to pstrutt Add pstrutt as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

It's possible that Parish has asked the candidates about certain players if they all said yes then no need to wait.

Or as some suspect Parish and Freedman make the decisions and the incoming manager has to lump it.

Or, that Benteke is not a new player, but an extended player. Any manager coming in will be happier having Benteke in his side than having to try and replace him immediately. Especially given all the other contracts that are coming to an end.

 


So I manage a Workshop which provides a safe learning environment for blokes struggling with PTSD and other mental health issues. Being a Palace fan isn't listed yet.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View AppleSource's Profile AppleSource Flag Tel Aviv 03 Jun 21 11.36am Send a Private Message to AppleSource Add AppleSource as a friend

This contract extension will be a waste if we don't sign Andros up to a new contract as well. Benteke only thrives with good deliveries from the wings.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mstrobez's Profile Mstrobez Flag 03 Jun 21 11.36am Send a Private Message to Mstrobez Add Mstrobez as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

You donít need to be a rocket scientist to work out that if you cross the ball to the best header in the league, heíll score goals. God knows why it took Roy so long to work that out last season.

Delighted weíve got him for two more years, his form of late has been excellent. More crosses = more goals. Heíll get about 15 next season

I donít think heís anything like the best header in the league. The thing Benteke has always been good at for us is his link up play - in that regard he is good. But he has done very little for us in the air. Most of his headed goals are one on ones with the keeper getting on the end of balls he should be meeting.

If weíre gonna go down the target man route, and we want someone who is a killer in the air, they need aggression. This is something Benteke simply doesnít show in his game.

 


We're the Arthur over ere!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Fatherken's Profile Fatherken Flag 03 Jun 21 11.45am Send a Private Message to Fatherken Add Fatherken as a friend

Very very pleased with this .
I know there will be some non supporters [ to be polite ] of his that will be rubbishing him off .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag People's Republic of Gozo 03 Jun 21 12.07pm Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by Mstrobez

I donít think heís anything like the best header in the league. The thing Benteke has always been good at for us is his link up play - in that regard he is good. But he has done very little for us in the air. Most of his headed goals are one on ones with the keeper getting on the end of balls he should be meeting.

If weíre gonna go down the target man route, and we want someone who is a killer in the air, they need aggression. This is something Benteke simply doesnít show in his game.

Sorry, but I think you're completely wrong. A confident Bentenke is almost unplayable in the air. Nearly every commentator in the game says the same. Unlike some other big players he can also jump high which means he wins most of his duels. What you'll notice is that as his form recovered so teams started to use two players to try and counter his threat, sandwiching him and limiting his ability to win the ball.

Under Roy we played inverted wingers and most of our crosses were low cutbacks, which worked, just not for Tekkers. The main issue until the last six months is that he has looked so low on confidence, possibly due to an ongoing injury. As his confidence returned and we started to cross the ball again Bob's your uncle he starts scoring.

Just to reinforce my point, only Soucek won more aerial duels than Bentenke this season: [Link]

Edit: he's also second only to Crouch in the all-time most headed goals in the PL: [Link]

and second only to Calvert-Lewin for headed goals this season: [Link]

I don't want to hammer home my point, but he certainly has the stats to back him as the best header of a ball in the PL (or at least certainly one of them)

Edited by taylors lovechild (03 Jun 2021 12.12pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 03 Jun 21 12.08pm Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

Agreed!
Can't believe that I am looking forward to seeing him play next season!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View pstrutt's Profile pstrutt Flag Busselton, WA 03 Jun 21 12.09pm Send a Private Message to pstrutt Add pstrutt as a friend

Originally posted by mezzer

After the finish he had last season there's every hope that he's a born again Christian

Very good!

Although I wish he was a born again Drogba!

 


So I manage a Workshop which provides a safe learning environment for blokes struggling with PTSD and other mental health issues. Being a Palace fan isn't listed yet.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elphers40's Profile Elphers40 Flag Northants 03 Jun 21 12.22pm Send a Private Message to Elphers40 Add Elphers40 as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

Sorry, but I think you're completely wrong. A confident Bentenke is almost unplayable in the air. Nearly every commentator in the game says the same. Unlike some other big players he can also jump high which means he wins most of his duels. What you'll notice is that as his form recovered so teams started to use two players to try and counter his threat, sandwiching him and limiting his ability to win the ball.

Under Roy we played inverted wingers and most of our crosses were low cutbacks, which worked, just not for Tekkers. The main issue until the last six months is that he has looked so low on confidence, possibly due to an ongoing injury. As his confidence returned and we started to cross the ball again Bob's your uncle he starts scoring.

Just to reinforce my point, only Soucek won more aerial duels than Bentenke this season: [Link]

Edit: he's also second only to Crouch in the all-time most headed goals in the PL: [Link]

and second only to Calvert-Lewin for headed goals this season: [Link]

I don't want to hammer home my point, but he certainly has the stats to back him as the best header of a ball in the PL (or at least certainly one of them)

Edited by taylors lovechild (03 Jun 2021 12.12pm)

I agree his strength is in the air - in particular when the crosses are whipped in from the bye line. Although there has also been some significant improvement in his link up play over the final games of the season

I had rather cynically thought his improvement was linked to his contract expiring and the pressing need to earn himself a contract - turns out that contract was to be at the Palace! Who knew.

I am actually pleased heís extended his contract- didnít think Iíd be saying that 6 months ago!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mstrobez's Profile Mstrobez Flag 03 Jun 21 12.25pm Send a Private Message to Mstrobez Add Mstrobez as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

Sorry, but I think you're completely wrong. A confident Bentenke is almost unplayable in the air. Nearly every commentator in the game says the same. Unlike some other big players he can also jump high which means he wins most of his duels. What you'll notice is that as his form recovered so teams started to use two players to try and counter his threat, sandwiching him and limiting his ability to win the ball.

Under Roy we played inverted wingers and most of our crosses were low cutbacks, which worked, just not for Tekkers. The main issue until the last six months is that he has looked so low on confidence, possibly due to an ongoing injury. As his confidence returned and we started to cross the ball again Bob's your uncle he starts scoring.

Just to reinforce my point, only Soucek won more aerial duels than Bentenke this season: [Link]

Edit: he's also second only to Crouch in the all-time most headed goals in the PL: [Link]

and second only to Calvert-Lewin for headed goals this season: [Link]

I don't want to hammer home my point, but he certainly has the stats to back him as the best header of a ball in the PL (or at least certainly one of them)

Edited by taylors lovechild (03 Jun 2021 12.12pm)

Weíll have to agree to disagree then because I donít agree at all. I think on a number of occasions during his years with us Benteke has been extremely feeble in the air. He has height and is quite good technically for a big guy but he doesnít attack crosses in the manner a target man should. And Iím pretty sure Iíve heard many commentators note this during games.

As for being second in all-time headed goals. This doesnít surprise me as heís played in the league for a very long time and prior to his arrival at Palace he was fantastic in the air. Iím talking specifically about his time with us - the vast majority of his goals in the air are ones youíd expect him to get on the end of and score.

The fact that Calvert-Lewin, who plays in a team that finished 10th and isnít much of an aerial target man by any stretch, has scored more headers during the season weíre all waxing lyrical about Benteke kinda says it all.

I think Bentekeís link up play has always been underrated and Iím pretty sure itís the reason Roy rated him so much. But imo people are getting carried away with a brief spell of goals. Football fans are fickle - Batshuayis record at his first spell with the club was very good and the second half of this spell he has barely kicked a ball, yet there probably arenít many Palace fans whoíd want to see him back next season. And yet imo heís a far better striker than Benteke who would almost certainly out score him if he was given a fair crack of the whip.


Edited by Mstrobez (03 Jun 2021 12.29pm)

 


We're the Arthur over ere!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag People's Republic of Gozo 03 Jun 21 12.27pm Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by Elphers40

I agree his strength is in the air - in particular when the crosses are whipped in from the bye line. Although there has also been some significant improvement in his link up play over the final games of the season

I had rather cynically thought his improvement was linked to his contract expiring and the pressing need to earn himself a contract - turns out that contract was to be at the Palace! Who knew.

I am actually pleased heís extended his contract- didnít think Iíd be saying that 6 months ago!

I think at that point even his biggest supporters had lost hope! As you say, hopefully the improvement was not just down to the desire for a new deal (although I'm sure that didn't hurt). Let's hope Big Ben continues to strike next season

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 03 Jun 21 12.35pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by AppleSource

This contract extension will be a waste if we don't sign Andros up to a new contract as well. Benteke only thrives with good deliveries from the wings.

I am rather hoping for an upgrade on Andros to arrive. There are plenty of decent crossers of the ball out there who might also provide a bit more trickery and guile down that wing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mstrobez's Profile Mstrobez Flag 03 Jun 21 12.43pm Send a Private Message to Mstrobez Add Mstrobez as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

I am rather hoping for an upgrade on Andros to arrive. There are plenty of decent crossers of the ball out there who might also provide a bit more trickery and guile down that wing.

Agreed but I think what weíve demonstrated over the years is that you need depth in attacking areas and the wide areas are the perfect position to sign younger players as there is no real risk. Itís not like bleeding a young centre-back, for example. Having a couple of experienced players out wide to accompany a couple of high potential prospects wouldnít be the worst thing in the world and even if we get rid of Townsend Iíd say weíd need to sign 2 players in his position (and we wonít). Worse players to have in the squad than Andros - especially as he seems to be a force for very good in the dressing room when it comes to younger players.

Edited by Mstrobez (03 Jun 2021 12.44pm)

 


We're the Arthur over ere!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 272 of 277 < 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread