You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Michail Antonio (Paper Talk)
October 17 2019 2.33pm

Michail Antonio (Paper Talk)

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View new_in_Wait's Profile new_in_Wait Flag Lewisham 13 Jul 18 11.11am Send a Private Message to new_in_Wait Add new_in_Wait as a friend

Originally posted by VitalVanAanholt

Unless Andros wants to leave I can't see it happening, as it's been said, he's been playing well and linking up with other players in the team. I can't see him wanting to go elsewhere.

if we're buying Antonio and selling Town, it's one step forward, 6 back. Antonio can't really play inverted winger so he's more likely to bomb down the right and cross it to jump-shy Benteke and Sorloth. It would be a change of style that wouldn't suit us. Also, Town's touch is much better.

It's depressing that we're now buying players WH are getting rid off to balance the books. If Antonio is 15+, why weren't we in for Yarmolenko, who costed 17.5?

If we end up with Wilf, Antonio, Kaikai and Schlupp as the wingers for the season, we're toast, 2017/18 miracle aside.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mstrobez's Profile Mstrobez Flag 13 Jul 18 11.51am Send a Private Message to Mstrobez Add Mstrobez as a friend

Originally posted by new_in_Wait

if we're buying Antonio and selling Town, it's one step forward, 6 back. Antonio can't really play inverted winger so he's more likely to bomb down the right and cross it to jump-shy Benteke and Sorloth. It would be a change of style that wouldn't suit us. Also, Town's touch is much better.

It's depressing that we're now buying players WH are getting rid off to balance the books. If Antonio is 15+, why weren't we in for Yarmolenko, who costed 17.5?

If we end up with Wilf, Antonio, Kaikai and Schlupp as the wingers for the season, we're toast, 2017/18 miracle aside.

Agreed. Uninspiring to put it lightly.

 


We're the Arthur over ere!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View VitalVanAanholt's Profile VitalVanAanholt Flag Bromley 13 Jul 18 11.53am Send a Private Message to VitalVanAanholt Add VitalVanAanholt as a friend

Originally posted by new_in_Wait

if we're buying Antonio and selling Town, it's one step forward, 6 back. Antonio can't really play inverted winger so he's more likely to bomb down the right and cross it to jump-shy Benteke and Sorloth. It would be a change of style that wouldn't suit us. Also, Town's touch is much better.

It's depressing that we're now buying players WH are getting rid off to balance the books. If Antonio is 15+, why weren't we in for Yarmolenko, who costed 17.5?

If we end up with Wilf, Antonio, Kaikai and Schlupp as the wingers for the season, we're toast, 2017/18 miracle aside.

Agree 100%, gutting that we're having this kind of transfer window once again

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dazza's Profile dazza Flag Wallington 13 Jul 18 11.56am Send a Private Message to dazza Add dazza as a friend

I totally disagree I think Antonio is a great signing it was only 18 months ago he was being linked to Chelsea for 50m.

There is also no guarantee that by signing him will result in Townsend leaving we might be looking to play Jimmy Mac & Luka in midfield with Zaha & Benteke up front then the Antonio & Townsend as wingers.

This also allows Zaha a free role and to drop as a number 10 so plenty of options.

Stats:

Townsend - 76 Games 5 Goals 11 Assists

Antonio - 50 Games 4 Goals 12 Assists

So very similar stats but Antonio played 26 games less.

Itís a positive that we look like we are signing someone.

Edited by dazza (13 Jul 2018 11.58am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View new_in_Wait's Profile new_in_Wait Flag Lewisham 13 Jul 18 12.12pm Send a Private Message to new_in_Wait Add new_in_Wait as a friend

Originally posted by dazza

I totally disagree I think Antonio is a great signing it was only 18 months ago he was being linked to Chelsea for 50m.

There is also no guarantee that by signing him will result in Townsend leaving we might be looking to play Jimmy Mac & Luka in midfield with Zaha & Benteke up front then the Antonio & Townsend as wingers.

This also allows Zaha a free role and to drop as a number 10 so plenty of options.

Stats:

Townsend - 76 Games 5 Goals 11 Assists

Antonio - 50 Games 4 Goals 12 Assists

So very similar stats but Antonio played 26 games less.

Itís a positive that we look like we are signing someone.

Edited by dazza (13 Jul 2018 11.58am)

I agree that Antonio is a good addition to the squad, but he shouldn't come in to fill in Town's boots because it will take a while for him to learn the style and Town-Zaha is a great blend that shouldn't be broken unless silly money comes in (and 18 mil from Newcastle is far from being silly money). Even if we get him, he'll have missed a lot of pre-season. As a Lee/Sakho replacement, he's great (though I'd have loved a smaller fee). As a starter... I don't know.

as for the numbers - we all know how many great balls Andros put in the box, but there was no half-decent forward there to bang them in.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Crystal_Clear's Profile Crystal_Clear Flag Belfast 13 Jul 18 2.05pm Send a Private Message to Crystal_Clear Add Crystal_Clear as a friend

This could all be academic. Has Townsend said he wants to leave ?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DANGERCLOSE's Profile DANGERCLOSE Flag london 13 Jul 18 2.32pm Send a Private Message to DANGERCLOSE Add DANGERCLOSE as a friend

To sign Antonio for Sako or Lee is a step forward but to sign him for Townsend is a step back imo

 


Support The Brexit Party [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag People's Republic of Gozo 13 Jul 18 3.05pm Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

It's interesting to note that West Ham fans don't seem keen to sell and some seem to be saying £15m is far too cheap. Whenever I've seen him play he looks a threat, so if he's fit then I'd be happy to see him come in, but if Townsend did go we would need another winger as well as Antonio, unless Roy considers Lokilo and Kai Kai to be first-team ready (which I doubt).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ambrose77's Profile ambrose77 Flag wallington 13 Jul 18 3.12pm Send a Private Message to ambrose77 Add ambrose77 as a friend

Funny how people are complaining about signing West Ham bench players but Tomkins was arguably our best player last season and he was deemed surplus to requirements at West Ham, other then Antonio being injured he wouldn't never have lost his place in that West Ham team. He was their most important players at the time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Littlebogreek's Profile Littlebogreek Flag 13 Jul 18 3.31pm Send a Private Message to Littlebogreek Add Littlebogreek as a friend

Originally posted by ambrose77

Funny how people are complaining about signing West Ham bench players but Tomkins was arguably our best player last season and he was deemed surplus to requirements at West Ham, other then Antonio being injured he wouldn't never have lost his place in that West Ham team. He was their most important players at the time.

Is pretty much word for word what I was going to write! Can only see this happening though if Townsend is going and can only see Townsend going if heís asked to which is something I doubt we will ever be privy to knowing

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 14 Jul 18 8.14am Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Antonioís a good player and would be decent signing IMO. Strong in the air, versatile and an eye for goal. Just what we need.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View matthau's Profile matthau Flag South Croydon 14 Jul 18 8.53am Send a Private Message to matthau Add matthau as a friend

Since when was Andros / Townsend or Andros Townsend ever called town?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Michail Antonio (Paper Talk)