You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Why is this a BBC top story?
December 12 2019 12.38am

Why is this a BBC top story?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 52 of 85 < 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 >

 

View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 18 Jul 19 3.29pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Penge Eagle

You may have saw it right away, but it's still ranked below the stories with photos! The order works from left to right. But I don't imagine you've worked on an editorial content management system (it's what I do for a living).

As I write at around 2pm, by magic the Trump story has been knocked off the home page! Exactly how I predicted.

Irrespective of balance, the simple fact remains the BBC is sending out 'police' or 'inspectors' or however you want to describe them. I know you don't like facts when it doesn't suit your narrative.

Edited by Penge Eagle (18 Jul 2019 2.02pm)

I always look at the World News pages to read overseas news! I then look at the "USA and Canada" section. It is the headline story there. Where it ought to be. It's hardly the headline story in the UK is it?

I think you (and the Wail) are over egging the pudding on this licence fee issue. The BBC spokesperson apparently said in response to a question from an MP:-

"They won’t be coming to your door in quite the way you imply.”

She added that over-75s would first be notified in two letters that the free universal concessions were ending, with the BBC also offering telephone and face-to-face support".

Face to face support, when needed, implies help and not policing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 18 Jul 19 3.36pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


Why can’t the BBC just accept advertising and do away with the license? Match of the Day and other sports events are smothered in sponsors logos anyway.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Beckenham 18 Jul 19 5.12pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I always look at the World News pages to read overseas news! I then look at the "USA and Canada" section. It is the headline story there. Where it ought to be. It's hardly the headline story in the UK is it?

I think you (and the Wail) are over egging the pudding on this licence fee issue. The BBC spokesperson apparently said in response to a question from an MP:-

"They won’t be coming to your door in quite the way you imply.”

She added that over-75s would first be notified in two letters that the free universal concessions were ending, with the BBC also offering telephone and face-to-face support".

Face to face support, when needed, implies help and not policing.

This is becoming very common to your replies to people's posts... You've totally missed my point which was about the BBC's double standards. High-ranked, multiple negative Trump stories which all appear on the UK page and the opposite when not negative. They of course all appear on the "USA and Canada" section.

 


New Palace fan site – Screaming Alice [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Beckenham 18 Jul 19 5.14pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Why can’t the BBC just accept advertising and do away with the license? Match of the Day and other sports events are smothered in sponsors logos anyway.

It didn't hinder my experience when looking at BBC websites while abroad as ad banners are so common. It's not exactly a hardship and maybe over-75s can get their free TV licence back.

 


New Palace fan site – Screaming Alice [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 18 Jul 19 5.30pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Why can’t the BBC just accept advertising and do away with the license? Match of the Day and other sports events are smothered in sponsors logos anyway.

I do think the license fee is on borrowed time really. The younger generations are all glued to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube.

Edited by dollardays (18 Jul 2019 5.30pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 18 Jul 19 10.13pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Penge Eagle

This is becoming very common to your replies to people's posts... You've totally missed my point which was about the BBC's double standards. High-ranked, multiple negative Trump stories which all appear on the UK page and the opposite when not negative. They of course all appear on the "USA and Canada" section.

I haven't missed your point at all. I simply don't accept your assertion, which you state as a fact, that the BBC has "double standards".

I have explained why that isn't true. Have you missed that by chance?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 18 Jul 19 10.19pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by dollardays

I do think the license fee is on borrowed time really. The younger generations are all glued to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube.

Edited by dollardays (18 Jul 2019 5.30pm)

I really hope not. The principal of a national broadcaster free both from government control and the long arm of commercial interests is very important.

I realise they raise a lot of revenue these days from overseas sales where advertising is involved but it doesn't happen at home to any significant degree.

It means we get an unbiased approach to news reporting, despite all the claims to the contrary expressed here. Just because that reporting doesn't match your personal world view doesn't mean it is biased.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 18 Jul 19 10.23pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I really hope not. The principal of a national broadcaster free both from government control and the long arm of commercial interests is very important.

I realise they raise a lot of revenue these days from overseas sales where advertising is involved but it doesn't happen at home to any significant degree.

It means we get an unbiased approach to news reporting, despite all the claims to the contrary expressed here. Just because that reporting doesn't match your personal world view doesn't mean it is biased.

Maybe they can increase how much they raise abroad to prop up the UK service. And even over here there is the Britbox service. They do have an amazing catalogue of material going back decades. It all depends I guess, as it's a fragmenting marketplace with various age groups each wanting something quite different.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 18 Jul 19 10.28pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

The licence fee is a bad business model for the BBC. Their income is falling relatively year on year as the younger switch to the ever growing streaming services meanwhile their core population gets older and is now alienated and will die off.

This combined with the growing number of people who simply refuse to pay the licence makes for a bad business model.

The refusal rate has increased in the last couple of years by 1% each year and now stands at 7%. If it continues at this rate it will hit a tipping point when the BBC and the courts will not be able to cope with the volume of cases. Non payment makes up a massive percentage of court cases.

At the moment the BBC is trying to deflect blame to the government and to protect it's current model. It would be better accepting the inevitable and moving to a model where they can generate as much income as they like.

I see a future 2 tier BBC where the majority of it will be commercial (BBC1 etc.) and the taxpayer will subside specific areas such as local news or education. The government already pays for the world service.

Either way the axe will need to be taken to the tree. Too many staff and too many well paid staff.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 18 Jul 19 10.34pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

The licence fee is a bad business model for the BBC. Their income is falling relatively year on year as the younger switch to the ever growing streaming services meanwhile their core population gets older and is now alienated and will die off.

This combined with the growing number of people who simply refuse to pay the licence makes for a bad business model.

The refusal rate has increased in the last couple of years by 1% each year and now stands at 7%. If it continues at this rate it will hit a tipping point when the BBC and the courts will not be able to cope with the volume of cases. Non payment makes up a massive percentage of court cases.

At the moment the BBC is trying to deflect blame to the government and to protect it's current model. It would be better accepting the inevitable and moving to a model where they can generate as much income as they like.

I see a future 2 tier BBC where the majority of it will be commercial (BBC1 etc.) and the taxpayer will subside specific areas such as local news or education. The government already pays for the world service.

Either way the axe will need to be taken to the tree. Too many staff and too many well paid staff.

Wow, that's a significant change over a short period.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Beckenham 19 Jul 19 5.18pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

'BBC have subjected us to unashamed anti-Brexit propaganda over the Past three years' [Link]

 


New Palace fan site – Screaming Alice [Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 19 Jul 19 5.44pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Penge Eagle

'BBC have subjected us to unashamed anti-Brexit propaganda over the Past three years' [Link]


Yep excellent article as is anything that Rod Liddle writes.

It shows you just how far things have shifted when we consider that Liddle use to consider himself a left winger.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 52 of 85 < 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Why is this a BBC top story?