You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Why has there been no progress in 5 years?
May 28 2020 12.23am

Why has there been no progress in 5 years?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 > Last Ľ

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View FinchleyEagle's Profile FinchleyEagle Flag 02 Oct 18 1.32pm Send a Private Message to FinchleyEagle Add FinchleyEagle as a friend

I remember in our second season in the prem, when others were saying that we should be pushing for the top ten that year, that I thought 4 seasons was a reasonable amount of time to get established in the premier league. We are now in our sixth season and it is the same story year after year after year; relegation battle, players performing poorly, managers who have a little success but cannot sustain it.

Look at this season: The manager is not brand new which is good, and therefore the pre-season could be exactly what he wanted, the players seem like they all have some ability and we even have a few to spare so an ok squad. We even have one of the best players outside the top 4 playing for us. Yet we average 1 point a game after a fairly tame fixture list and have lost to Watford, Southampton and Bournemouth. In the 2 games we won, the opponents were both pretty profligate so that could easily have been different. This is a familiar story, so why isnít this improving year on year? What is the club not doing that it should?

We are lucky that Huddersfield and Cardiff are so poor as thatís 2 of the relegation places filled already, but someone still needs to fill the third and those 2 could of course miraculously improve. If not thereís still next season to worry about if we scrape through again this season.

Why arenít we improving? Is it too hard to do? Do we have simply the wrong players and manager to do well? Is our failure to get a decent striker and/or improve the defence whatís costing us?

What does everyone else think?

 


You'll be forever in my family's memories and it was an honor and privilege to play and lead in the red and blue
Yours sincerely
Mile Jedinak

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 02 Oct 18 1.35pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Originally posted by FinchleyEagle

I remember in our second season in the prem, when others were saying that we should be pushing for the top ten that year, that I thought 4 seasons was a reasonable amount of time to get established in the premier league. We are now in our sixth season and it is the same story year after year after year; relegation battle, players performing poorly, managers who have a little success but cannot sustain it.

Look at this season: The manager is not brand new which is good, and therefore the pre-season could be exactly what he wanted, the players seem like they all have some ability and we even have a few to spare so an ok squad. We even have one of the best players outside the top 4 playing for us. Yet we average 1 point a game after a fairly tame fixture list and have lost to Watford, Southampton and Bournemouth. In the 2 games we won, the opponents were both pretty profligate so that could easily have been different. This is a familiar story, so why isnít this improving year on year? What is the club not doing that it should?

We are lucky that Huddersfield and Cardiff are so poor as thatís 2 of the relegation places filled already, but someone still needs to fill the third and those 2 could of course miraculously improve. If not thereís still next season to worry about if we scrape through again this season.

Why arenít we improving? Is it too hard to do? Do we have simply the wrong players and manager to do well? Is our failure to get a decent striker and/or improve the defence whatís costing us?

What does everyone else think?

Yes I agree with most of this. Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley all seemed to have steadied their respective ships, where as we always seem to come stumbling out of the blocks.

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 02 Oct 18 1.52pm Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by Jimenez

Yes I agree with most of this. Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley all seemed to have steadied their respective ships, where as we always seem to come stumbling out of the blocks.

still not so sure about Burnley, could still struggle this season.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View bexleydave's Profile bexleydave Flag Barnehurst 02 Oct 18 1.58pm Send a Private Message to bexleydave Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add bexleydave as a friend

Originally posted by FinchleyEagle

I remember in our second season in the prem, when others were saying that we should be pushing for the top ten that year, that I thought 4 seasons was a reasonable amount of time to get established in the premier league. We are now in our sixth season and it is the same story year after year after year; relegation battle, players performing poorly, managers who have a little success but cannot sustain it.

Look at this season: The manager is not brand new which is good, and therefore the pre-season could be exactly what he wanted, the players seem like they all have some ability and we even have a few to spare so an ok squad. We even have one of the best players outside the top 4 playing for us. Yet we average 1 point a game after a fairly tame fixture list and have lost to Watford, Southampton and Bournemouth. In the 2 games we won, the opponents were both pretty profligate so that could easily have been different. This is a familiar story, so why isnít this improving year on year? What is the club not doing that it should?

We are lucky that Huddersfield and Cardiff are so poor as thatís 2 of the relegation places filled already, but someone still needs to fill the third and those 2 could of course miraculously improve. If not thereís still next season to worry about if we scrape through again this season.

Why arenít we improving? Is it too hard to do? Do we have simply the wrong players and manager to do well? Is our failure to get a decent striker and/or improve the defence whatís costing us?

What does everyone else think?


I do have some sympathy with your comments. I did think that this season was going to be different as we had managed to retain an apparently performing manager over the summer and we had a seemingly decent pre-season. The only fly in the ointment was two slightly less than inspiring transfer windows. It hasn't, so far, gone as I expected and we could be in for a very difficult month (at least). It does seem to have been rinse and repeat, and yet somehow we manage to finish in an OK position. Let's hope this isn't the season the luck runs out.

 


Bexley Dave

Can you hear the Brighton sing? I can't hear a ******* thing!

"The most arrogant, obnoxious bunch of deluded little sun tanned, loafer wearing mummy's boys I've ever had the misfortune of having to listen to" (Burnley forum)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bangell's Profile Bangell Flag Oxford 02 Oct 18 2.08pm Send a Private Message to Bangell Add Bangell as a friend

You're taking a very narrow view of progress. Although the striker situation gets more unforgivable each year, the squad we have now should stay in this division with any decent manager at the helm.

Our performances have been very underwhelming so far this season, but we'll muddle through without being relegation-threatened for sure, and that will be progress - the first PL season where we're not fighting for our lives at some point. Of course it's frustrating that we can't just pick up the momentum from our great escapes and carry on the next season, but for whatever reason, that's not how it works.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 02 Oct 18 2.08pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

The thing is in the Premier League it's thin dividing lines.

Ward and Sakho miss gilt edge headers that cost us 3 points. Benteke squandered chances against Southampton which might have seen us get a ( undeserved ) draw. Then we have last night's penalty...

We could be 4 points better off and probably should be. Individual errors are difficult to legislate for particularly when we actually do have a fairly talented team - and the current group are arguably the best we have had in the last six years.

Unless we get a Chelsea / Man City type of financial investment, Palace will continue to occupy places in the middle to lower half of the table in the same way that a lot of other clubs do. Just so long as don't finish in that bottom three....

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 02 Oct 18 2.27pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

The thing is in the Premier League it's thin dividing lines.

Ward and Sakho miss gilt edge headers that cost us 3 points. Benteke squandered chances against Southampton which might have seen us get a ( undeserved ) draw. Then we have last night's penalty...

We could be 4 points better off and probably should be. Individual errors are difficult to legislate for particularly when we actually do have a fairly talented team - and the current group are arguably the best we have had in the last six years.

Unless we get a Chelsea / Man City type of financial investment, Palace will continue to occupy places in the middle to lower half of the table in the same way that a lot of other clubs do. Just so long as don't finish in that bottom three....

I admire your Ďhalf-fullí outlook, but come on; weíve been pony this season, with no sign of any improvement to come. It baffles me.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DutchEagleJohan's Profile DutchEagleJohan Flag Vlissingen, Netherlands 02 Oct 18 2.35pm Send a Private Message to DutchEagleJohan Add DutchEagleJohan as a friend

Wish I had that confidence!

Originally posted by Bangell

You're taking a very narrow view of progress. Although the striker situation gets more unforgivable each year, the squad we have now should stay in this division with any decent manager at the helm.

Our performances have been very underwhelming so far this season, but we'll muddle through without being relegation-threatened for sure, and that will be progress - the first PL season where we're not fighting for our lives at some point. Of course it's frustrating that we can't just pick up the momentum from our great escapes and carry on the next season, but for whatever reason, that's not how it works.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 02 Oct 18 2.50pm Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by Bangell

You're taking a very narrow view of progress. Although the striker situation gets more unforgivable each year, the squad we have now should stay in this division with any decent manager at the helm.

Our performances have been very underwhelming so far this season, but we'll muddle through without being relegation-threatened for sure, and that will be progress - the first PL season where we're not fighting for our lives at some point. Of course it's frustrating that we can't just pick up the momentum from our great escapes and carry on the next season, but for whatever reason, that's not how it works.

Thats What I thought before the Season started, it's looking like were gonna be closer to the relegation zone that I'd hoped.
Still, early days yet

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag People's Republic of Gozo 02 Oct 18 3.25pm Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Burnley and Bournemouth have had stability thanks to sticking with young managers and putting faith in them even when results haven't come, but who is there out there that we can afford to bring in? Those two both came up from the Championship, with Dyche learning from being relegated the first time around, but I can't see Parish risking our future on an inexperienced manager while we remain in the PL. Ideally it would be good to see Roy bring someone in under his wing who could then succeed him, but I get the feeling he doesn't really see himself in that mould.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 02 Oct 18 3.41pm Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

The thing is in the Premier League it's thin dividing lines.

Ward and Sakho miss gilt edge headers that cost us 3 points. Benteke squandered chances against Southampton which might have seen us get a ( undeserved ) draw. Then we have last night's penalty...

We could be 4 points better off and probably should be. Individual errors are difficult to legislate for particularly when we actually do have a fairly talented team - and the current group are arguably the best we have had in the last six years.

Unless we get a Chelsea / Man City type of financial investment, Palace will continue to occupy places in the middle to lower half of the table in the same way that a lot of other clubs do. Just so long as don't finish in that bottom three....

We seem to make a lot of costly individual errors but - no one can legislate for a £30m striker suddenly not scoring for the thick end of a year albeit he should have been outed regardless of the loss.
With a decent Centre Forward we would be in this pickle.
We are bemoaning Ward and Sakho missing gilt edged chances but in reality we are having a go at two defenders missing the target - where were our forwards and midfielders is what bothers me more!
Another worry is the purchase/loans of Ayew, Koyoute and the like - middle of the road players who won't make us better.
They take the place of Cabaye and RLC - no contest in that they are inferior players.
I accept they are better than the Puncheons of this world butI would prefer to bring youth through to be honest and have a proper spend up on fewer players.
As someone else posted yesterday we are going down again - it is just a question of which season - true - unless we get a couple of better players in and soon and I hate to say it but we need to sell Wilf to do it.
Last night showed that the lesser teams will crowd him out now and so he is less effective and suddenly we can't rely on him and there is no Plan B. If he is marked by two then don't give him the ball I guess - use it elsewhere.
Against the better teams he will get more space hopefully.
We should get out of it this time but January will be very important for us and the Summer even more so.
Still - it's going to be another hard season - it's never dull with CPFC!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Deleted 02 Oct 18 3.56pm

Not really sure what you thought was going to happen this season. I pretty much hope for safety and if we can manage a cup run or even win then that is the best we can do as a club.
Parish has been burnt, especially with Benteke and wont want to buy big again + it seems like there just aren't any funds available. If we'd had managed to get Antonio as well as Kouyate, I think we would be higher up, but what can you do.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 > Last Ľ

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Why has there been no progress in 5 years?