You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Max Meyer thread
July 14 2020 2.12am

Max Meyer thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 41 of 45 < 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 27 Dec 19 9.15am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by EddieMac

The Max Meyer fan club must have had their blinkers on again yesterday. The chap done little to nothing again yesterday. He had numerous chances to play a pass to put us through on goal but gave the ball away. (And donít tell me his one pass to Ayew means he is worthy of a starting place. He is not fast enough or strong enough, canít tackle and is certainly not good enough for this division. He will be no loss to us when he leaves.

Get your eyes open folks, he has been with us long enough now and contributed didddly.

There are quite a few supporters whom I have spoken to who are of this opinion.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 27 Dec 19 9.21am Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

There are quite a few supporters whom I have spoken to who are of this opinion.

If his name was not Max Meyer then he would have been hounded by the fans. I had high hopes when he signed but those hopes were soon dashed when I watched him play.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 27 Dec 19 9.28am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by EddieMac

If his name was not Max Meyer then he would have been hounded by the fans. I had high hopes when he signed but those hopes were soon dashed when I watched him play.

He was lauded and afforded a fanfare as one of Germany's brightest young prospects etc etc etc so much was expected about what we were led to believe was a rising young star and it was a real coup for us to sign him.

I had never seen him play but I did comment to someone who is steeped in football that if Meyer was as good as being portrayed he would have been much in demand by clubs in Germany and some other clubs bigger than us and would have signed for one of them instead.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View the.universal's Profile the.universal 27 Dec 19 9.28am Send a Private Message to the.universal Add the.universal as a friend

Originally posted by EddieMac

If his name was not Max Meyer then he would have been hounded by the fans. I had high hopes when he signed but those hopes were soon dashed when I watched him play.

Agree, donít see what all the fuss is about. Technically, very gifted but lacking in power, pace, strength. Maybe better suited to a less physical league.

 


Vive le Roy!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 27 Dec 19 9.33am Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

He was lauded and afforded a fanfare as one of Germany's brightest young prospects etc etc etc so much was expected about what we were led to believe was a rising young star and it was a real coup for us to sign him.

I had never seen him play but I did comment to someone who is steeped in football that if Meyer was as good as being portrayed he would have been much in demand by clubs in Germany and some other clubs bigger than us and would have signed for one of them instead.

Very true. Iíd imagine he will be going back to Germany soon to a mid table club.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View JohnB's Profile JohnB Flag 27 Dec 19 9.53am Send a Private Message to JohnB Add JohnB as a friend

I don't understand why everything has to be so black or white on here sometimes. Either you're rubbish or brilliant.

Meyer played OK. He got on the ball and tried a few passes that not many others in the team would have the vision or courage to play, but those passes didn't come off. Not surprising given the complete lack of game time he has had.

I'm not sure what people were expecting given his lack of game time? The more he plays, the better I expect him to be and he does genuinely have quality but he needs patients and backing and can't be expected to come on a split their defence apart with throughballs when he's constantly restricted to 10 minute cameos.

It was exactly the same with Wickham. Not played in 3 years and shouold have buried his chance. Wickham of 3 years ago would have scored.

I have no doubt that with game time, Meyer will be a real asset for us, but unless we give him a genuine run in the team we will never see the best of him and it's unreasonable to expect him to come into the team having played so few minutes and be the best player on the pitch.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 27 Dec 19 10.02am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by JohnB

I don't understand why everything has to be so black or white on here sometimes. Either you're rubbish or brilliant.

Meyer played OK. He got on the ball and tried a few passes that not many others in the team would have the vision or courage to play, but those passes didn't come off. Not surprising given the complete lack of game time he has had.

I'm not sure what people were expecting given his lack of game time? The more he plays, the better I expect him to be and he does genuinely have quality but he needs patients and backing and can't be expected to come on a split their defence apart with throughballs when he's constantly restricted to 10 minute cameos.

It was exactly the same with Wickham. Not played in 3 years and shouold have buried his chance. Wickham of 3 years ago would have scored.

I have no doubt that with game time, Meyer will be a real asset for us, but unless we give him a genuine run in the team we will never see the best of him and it's unreasonable to expect him to come into the team having played so few minutes and be the best player on the pitch.

'Hats off' for some good points.

Sometimes I entertain the notion that in respect of Meyer there is a decent player in there and would benefit from playing regularly in a system and style differently to the one we deploy.I believe in Schalke he played as a deep-lying midfielder and was much more settled at that club playing on a regular basis.I have spoken to a few people who know their football and he certainly divides opinion.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 27 Dec 19 10.10am Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Originally posted by JohnB

I don't understand why everything has to be so black or white on here sometimes. Either you're rubbish or brilliant.

Meyer played OK. He got on the ball and tried a few passes that not many others in the team would have the vision or courage to play, but those passes didn't come off. Not surprising given the complete lack of game time he has had.

I'm not sure what people were expecting given his lack of game time? The more he plays, the better I expect him to be and he does genuinely have quality but he needs patients and backing and can't be expected to come on a split their defence apart with throughballs when he's constantly restricted to 10 minute cameos.

It was exactly the same with Wickham. Not played in 3 years and shouold have buried his chance. Wickham of 3 years ago would have scored.

I have no doubt that with game time, Meyer will be a real asset for us, but unless we give him a genuine run in the team we will never see the best of him and it's unreasonable to expect him to come into the team having played so few minutes and be the best player on the pitch.

I think the black or white comes from his advocates over hyping him at the expense of the manager and other players such as McArthur.

He had a decent run in the team this time last year with mixed results and started the season disappointingly against Everton and Sheffield Utd. Got dropped after the latter . looks a tidy enough player on the ball but itís difficult to see what he is and he ultimately doesnít create enough. Aside from physical size he also looks very one paced and lacks the legs to get away from a player.

The link up thing with Zaha is a bit of a fallacy IMO. Wilfís threat and ability to beat a player opens space up for players around him and he always shows for the ball.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 27 Dec 19 10.17am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

I think we are in something of a Catch 22 situation with Meyer if it's a run of games he needs. Because he isn't doing enough either in training ( presumably ) or when he does play, to convince Hodgson to give him that run.

I thought he did ok yesterday but didn't see anything from him that makes me think he merits a regular starting place.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View brides's Profile brides Flag Arnside . South lakes 27 Dec 19 10.25am Send a Private Message to brides Add brides as a friend

Reminds me of Johnny Williams

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag People's Republic of Gozo 27 Dec 19 10.37am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by brides

Reminds me of Johnny Williams

Yes, I agree, but without the injuries and more hair.

You look at other teams who set up with 4-3-3 and they do not have a player like Meyer in the middle three for a reason, that being the middle three has to be defensively sound and capable of breaking up play. That leaves him having to fight for a place on the wing. Hopefully he plays the next couple of games and proves he can make it there, but once Andros is back he offers far more (when in form and fit). He certainly hasn't shown himself good enough to build a team or formation around.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bexley Eagle's Profile Bexley Eagle Flag Bexley Kent 27 Dec 19 10.53am Send a Private Message to Bexley Eagle Add Bexley Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

I think we are in something of a Catch 22 situation with Meyer if it's a run of games he needs. Because he isn't doing enough either in training ( presumably ) or when he does play, to convince Hodgson to give him that run.

I thought he did ok yesterday but didn't see anything from him that makes me think he merits a regular starting place.

I this this sums it up quite nicely. Given our injuries this could be his opportunity to cement a place, albeit wide in a front 3 which doesn't seem to suit him. However I am always told good players can adapt. I really hope Meyer can succeed at Palace, but nothing I have seen so far suggests he will.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 41 of 45 < 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Max Meyer thread