You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > SKY Sports' obsession with racism.
December 6 2019 6.32pm

SKY Sports' obsession with racism.

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

 

View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 11 Feb 19 3.51pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Sky Sports is annoying at the best of times but their growing obsession with racism is getting out of control.
They are on a crusade, it seems, to highlight the problem.

Is it a coincidence that there has been an apparent rise in racist incidents since the media has been obsessing about it? I think not. I think they are fanning the flames of anti social race related behaviour by drawing attention to it. After all, those kinds of yobbish antics have been occurring at football and elsewhere ever since I can remember. Is it really at epidemic levels compared to the seventies for example? I don't think so.

It seems obvious to me that aside from the media obsession, the obvious cause of increased 'racism' is vastly increased numbers of immigrants and in football specifically, the vastly increased number of non white players.
It really doesn't take much working out. The numbers of non white players in bygone decades were tiny compared to now.

We now have 24 hour news that is desperate to make a mountain out of a molehill and race is the perfect agenda.

Anyone else sick of the circus?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 11 Feb 19 4.23pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

It always comes down to the same thing.

Money.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 11 Feb 19 4.34pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

It always comes down to the same thing.

Money.

It must be a turn off for loads of people.

For SKY, it is a good filler for the days when no one has died.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 11 Feb 19 5.00pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Sky pales (pardon the pun) when compared to the bbc.

did you see Linekar and 'Bore Of the Day' on the day Sterling got verbally abused at Scumford bridge ?


did linekar have a stiffy at the whole excitement of having some baddies to crucify ?

the everton fan who got his face slashed by Millw...nk has probably received way way less coverage because it looks like there was zero racial element to the crime.

which is worse ? some insulting words or a stanley knife ?

Edited by PalazioVecchio (11 Feb 2019 5.03pm)

 


from the Etihad, Emirates, Molyneux, London Stadium & Anfield to Old Trafford.....Raptors on the Road

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 11 Feb 19 5.22pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

I haven’t noticed any increased racism at football.

I think I’d notice if part of a squad with cliques of more black players than before.

I did notice Adebayor’s complete lack of taste though, as I would’ve done with some former white footballers. Barry Venison? He surely must be skint. Should’ve stuck with wardrobe staples.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View black eagle.'s Profile black eagle. Flag south croydon. 11 Feb 19 6.33pm Send a Private Message to black eagle. Add black eagle. as a friend

Racism is a society problem,
We will never get rid of it.

I applaud Sky for making people aware and discussing racism in football grounds.

If it makes a few more people at football matches report racist abuse of footballers then all well and good.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 11 Feb 19 6.46pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Sky Sports is annoying at the best of times but their growing obsession with racism is getting out of control.
They are on a crusade, it seems, to highlight the problem.

Is it a coincidence that there has been an apparent rise in racist incidents since the media has been obsessing about it? I think not. I think they are fanning the flames of anti social race related behaviour by drawing attention to it. After all, those kinds of yobbish antics have been occurring at football and elsewhere ever since I can remember. Is it really at epidemic levels compared to the seventies for example? I don't think so.

It seems obvious to me that aside from the media obsession, the obvious cause of increased 'racism' is vastly increased numbers of immigrants and in football specifically, the vastly increased number of non white players.
It really doesn't take much working out. The numbers of non white players in bygone decades were tiny compared to now.

We now have 24 hour news that is desperate to make a mountain out of a molehill and race is the perfect agenda.

Anyone else sick of the circus?

What is this based on? I can’t claim to regularly go on their website, but I just loaded it and couldn’t see any race-related stories.

Do you not think we should be aiming a bit higher than ‘it’s not that bad compared to the 70s’?


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 11 Feb 19 7.28pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by black eagle.

Racism is a society problem,
We will never get rid of it.

I applaud Sky for making people aware and discussing racism in football grounds.

If it makes a few more people at football matches report racist abuse of footballers then all well and good.

i reserve the right to worship zaha as a brilliant eagle, and to refer to a brighton player ( of whatever colour) as a piece of sh...t.

please advise on whether i have broken any taboos ?


clubs with a bad racist problem :
chelscum
glasgow rangers
much of Eastern Europe

any others ? but not Palace. We are SE25 and our track record is better than average.


Edited by PalazioVecchio (11 Feb 2019 7.38pm)

 


from the Etihad, Emirates, Molyneux, London Stadium & Anfield to Old Trafford.....Raptors on the Road

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 11 Feb 19 7.32pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

What is this based on? I can’t claim to regularly go on their website, but I just loaded it and couldn’t see any race-related stories.

Do you not think we should be aiming a bit higher than ‘it’s not that bad compared to the 70s’?



I have SKY Sports on a lot as background TV so I see a lot of what they broadcast.

My point in summary is that racism is no worse than it has ever been and at a time when you would expect there to be more instances due to the vastly larger number of non white players.
I believe that the constant media obsession is about sensationalism and coverage and less about proper context.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Beanyboysmd's Profile Beanyboysmd Flag 11 Feb 19 7.38pm Send a Private Message to Beanyboysmd Add Beanyboysmd as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Sky Sports is annoying at the best of times but their growing obsession with racism is getting out of control.
They are on a crusade, it seems, to highlight the problem.

Is it a coincidence that there has been an apparent rise in racist incidents since the media has been obsessing about it? I think not. I think they are fanning the flames of anti social race related behaviour by drawing attention to it. After all, those kinds of yobbish antics have been occurring at football and elsewhere ever since I can remember. Is it really at epidemic levels compared to the seventies for example? I don't think so.

It seems obvious to me that aside from the media obsession, the obvious cause of increased 'racism' is vastly increased numbers of immigrants and in football specifically, the vastly increased number of non white players.
It really doesn't take much working out. The numbers of non white players in bygone decades were tiny compared to now.

We now have 24 hour news that is desperate to make a mountain out of a molehill and race is the perfect agenda.

Anyone else sick of the circus?


Although I don't really agree, I think you answered your own question....24 hour news is desperate to make mountains out of molehills...I personally think talksport are the guiltiest party for that...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 11 Feb 19 7.43pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by black eagle.

Racism is a society problem,
We will never get rid of it.

I applaud Sky for making people aware and discussing racism in football grounds.

If it makes a few more people at football matches report racist abuse of footballers then all well and good.

This is from the man who believed that Liam Neeson should have his life ruined for being honest about his feelings 40 years ago.
Only a tiny percentage of football fans would ever shout racist abuse and that has largely been the case forever.
Why give those people air time when such idiocy has and will exist all the time humans exist?
In my opinion, ceasing coverage of these isolated incidents will do more to reduce them than giving them daily exposure.
It's for the same reason that they promote women's sport. It's just to entice more viewers to watch advertising.


Edited by Hrolf The Ganger (11 Feb 2019 7.44pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 11 Feb 19 7.46pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Beanyboysmd


Although I don't really agree, I think you answered your own question....24 hour news is desperate to make mountains out of molehills...I personally think talksport are the guiltiest party for that...

You don't really agree with what? THat SKY Sports is obsessed with racism. Put it on now and you will see a race story or debate within ten minutes.

I ask the question for other opinions. I already know what I think.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > SKY Sports' obsession with racism.