You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Let's criticise our managers.eh?
April 18 2019 11.23pm

Let's criticise our managers.eh?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 14 Apr 19 9.48pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by dollardays

It's easy to be a nay sayer and hyper critical, but surely credit where credit's due. At this level even staying up is an achievement of sorts. Roy's kept us up and he's a grafter rather than particularly flash or inventive. He just gets on with it and has kept us in a position where we have something to build on.

We don't have money to spunk up the wall and no new manager is going to swoop in and transform us into a top 5 team overnight anyway. It's a matter of degrees at this level and there's positives to be taken from the season.

Definitely, especially when considering the players he has had to work with this season ..some of whom would struggle within Ipswich's squad.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 14 Apr 19 9.54pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

I think the point you are missing is, Hodgson is being compared to previous Palace managers by a lot of the longstanding fans. He actually stacks up very well against all of them except Coppell, the rest by and large have had serious flaws, Bruce, Dowie and Pulis were good, but sh_t people, the rest weren't very good.

The new fans expect us to be pushing for Europe, beating all the top teams etc, the reality is it isn't going to happen as we haven't the financial resources of the top teams. The older fans still cant quite believe we are still in the Premier after years of being a yoyo club and see staying here as progression and are happy with Hodgson as he can keep us in there.

I wonder how well his record would have been if he hadn't encouraged ball booting

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dynamicdick's Profile dynamicdick Flag Dormansland 14 Apr 19 10.07pm Send a Private Message to dynamicdick Add dynamicdick as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Yep all good comments I feel.

As has been said, this is what forums are for and so that's fine but I appreciate the fact that many recognise the reality that teams like Palace live with in this division.

We are lucky to have a manager like Hodgeson and just because he isn't a miracle worker or very imaginative doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve accolades for the sterling job he has done.

We are a couple of signings and retentions away from moving away from lower mid table to top ten.

Edited by Stirlingsays (14 Apr 2019 5.59pm)

This season should have been about improving our position of the last - 11th. We have under achieved and as has been said previously by many on here itís not the loss so much to City today thatís the issue but losing at HOME to the Southampton, Watford, Brighton etc. Watching us against the weed was akin to witnessing England in the dying throes of Hodgsonís reign.

I am fed up with reading about this being the most successful period of Palaceís history but simply ensuring that we avoid relegation is not ambition and we constantly look down rather than up. Unless we change our outlook we will not attract the calibre of player we need to get we should be.... secondly, retain the key players that are again needed and thirdly see a decline in home support to the totally negative and tepid football served up.

I think back to us playing City about 3 (maybe more) years ago when we put in incredible effort and came out winning with that superb free kick by Puncheon. Then the 3-3 with Liverpool, coming back from the dead. This inspired fans and proved that irrespective of what money had been spent by the opposition you can get near to a level playing field by a positive game plan and a collective belief in a will to win not just keep the score down.

 


Bring back Brolin

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 14 Apr 19 10.40pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

Watch the interview with Hodgson on Palace Player.
He says he canít keeping Ďraising the bar for the playersí as he has done for 2 years or Ďlife will get very uncomfortable for everyone.í
This smacks to me that he doesnít feel heís had enough support on resources and he canít get any more out of the players available.
Personally I think the squad is strong and think he could be getting more out of them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 14 Apr 19 10.48pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Itís interesting how much blame or credit the manager gets for success or failure - how much responsibility should the coaching staff bear?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 14 Apr 19 11.01pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by dynamicdick

This season should have been about improving our position of the last - 11th. We have under achieved and as has been said previously by many on here itís not the loss so much to City today thatís the issue but losing at HOME to the Southampton, Watford, Brighton etc. Watching us against the weed was akin to witnessing England in the dying throes of Hodgsonís reign.

I am fed up with reading about this being the most successful period of Palaceís history but simply ensuring that we avoid relegation is not ambition and we constantly look down rather than up. Unless we change our outlook we will not attract the calibre of player we need to get we should be.... secondly, retain the key players that are again needed and thirdly see a decline in home support to the totally negative and tepid football served up.

I think back to us playing City about 3 (maybe more) years ago when we put in incredible effort and came out winning with that superb free kick by Puncheon. Then the 3-3 with Liverpool, coming back from the dead. This inspired fans and proved that irrespective of what money had been spent by the opposition you can get near to a level playing field by a positive game plan and a collective belief in a will to win not just keep the score down.

We had Murray though didn't we
The stats against City were about the same as today's ..26% with five shots ..three on target and everyone loved Pardew didn't they??

[Link]

[Link]

The City team today is much stronger.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 14 Apr 19 11.09pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Itís interesting how much blame or credit the manager gets for success or failure - how much responsibility should the coaching staff bear?

Responsibility comes down to individual players not doing the things the manager and coach wants them to do mainly because the individual players are not as competent on and with the ball as the players they are facing, which usually happens when one team has better resources.

Edited by Tickled pink (14 Apr 2019 11.09pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 14 Apr 19 11.14pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

Watch the interview with Hodgson on Palace Player.
He says he canít keeping Ďraising the bar for the playersí as he has done for 2 years or Ďlife will get very uncomfortable for everyone.í
This smacks to me that he doesnít feel heís had enough support on resources and he canít get any more out of the players available.
Personally I think the squad is strong and think he could be getting more out of them.

Your username is a very good example. The squad is not good enough to be where you personally think it should be, shame that it be.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View RH8Eagle's Profile RH8Eagle Flag Oxted 14 Apr 19 11.34pm Send a Private Message to RH8Eagle Add RH8Eagle as a friend

The internet is a fantastic invention but itís obviously given rise to a great number of critical people who probably if they were actually to meet up with the person in the public eye, would I am guessing be rather more polite with their greeting. So itís a phenomenon that is now very common and the more moderate amongst us have to live with, and I am fairly sure the likes of Roy and SP will know it comes with the territory and they can handle most of it all in a days work.
In my moderate view Roy has steadied a rocking ship and the premier is probably the toughest league in the world and a big leap higher than the championship. So where we have come from and what we have available to where we are today we donít pull the plug as we donít really know what might go down the hole.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dynamicdick's Profile dynamicdick Flag Dormansland 14 Apr 19 11.36pm Send a Private Message to dynamicdick Add dynamicdick as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

Your username is a very good example. The squad is not good enough to be where you personally think it should be, shame that it be.[/

No, he is not getting the best out of the team at home through his negative game plan.

 


Bring back Brolin

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dynamicdick's Profile dynamicdick Flag Dormansland 14 Apr 19 11.47pm Send a Private Message to dynamicdick Add dynamicdick as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

Responsibility comes down to individual players not doing the things the manager and coach wants them to do mainly because the individual players are not as competent on and with the ball as the players they are facing, which usually happens when one team has better resources.

Edited by Tickled pink (14 Apr 2019 11.09pm)


You have real trouble levying any blame on the manager....... the problem is that the players ARE carrying out what the manager wants that is why we are being served up such negative rubbish at home. Do you really think they enjoy playing to this rigid system evvvvvvery home game? Itís England re-visited!

 


Bring back Brolin

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dynamicdick's Profile dynamicdick Flag Dormansland 14 Apr 19 11.51pm Send a Private Message to dynamicdick Add dynamicdick as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

We had Murray though didn't we
The stats against City were about the same as today's ..26% with five shots ..three on target and everyone loved Pardew didn't they??

[Link]

[Link]

The City team today is much stronger.[/quote

But now we have Benteke!

 


Bring back Brolin

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Let's criticise our managers.eh?