You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Southampton vs Palace Match Thread
February 28 2021 8.55am

Southampton vs Palace Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 15 of 18 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag bristol 29 Dec 19 9.04pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

But prior to VAR offsides were decided on the position of a players feet rather than his shoulder.
I heard someone debating, semi-seriously whether offsides should be decided when the player passing the ball makes contact with the ball or when it actually leaves his boot.

What was his "tone"?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Booted Eagle's Profile Booted Eagle Flag Bristol 29 Dec 19 9.38pm Send a Private Message to Booted Eagle Add Booted Eagle as a friend

Looking at the highlights thought Vincente did well between the sticks, particularly at the end. In previous seasons we would probably of lost 2-1 after conceding the lead and panicking at the back.

 


“ [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag bristol 29 Dec 19 9.40pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Booted Eagle

Looking at the highlights thought Vincente did well between the sticks, particularly at the end. In previous seasons we would probably of lost 2-1 after conceding the lead and panicking at the back.

Which makes the links with man city all the more concerning.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 29 Dec 19 9.59pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

What was his "tone"?

Slightly despairing/ironic. He wasn’t being entirely serious but trying to highlight how daft this could get.
It was on Soccer Supplement about three weeks ago but I can’t remember who it was that said it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 30 Dec 19 8.14am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

Which makes the links with man city all the more concerning.

What link to City - I guess I have missed something?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sickboy's Profile sickboy Flag Deal or Croydon 30 Dec 19 8.28am Send a Private Message to sickboy Add sickboy as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

What link to City - I guess I have missed something?

Probably more "sky sports news understands.." bollox from the 2 proven liars kaveh and darmesh.
Silly season approaching again.
Believe nothing til it happens.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 30 Dec 19 9.10am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

Which makes the links with man city all the more concerning.

One of the pre-requisites at Man C is that a goalkeeper is good with his feet in terms of kicking, distribution etc etc and whilst Guaita is an excellent shot-stopper I don't believe that his strengths lie when the ball is at his feet.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 30 Dec 19 9.57am Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

What link to City - I guess I have missed something?

Apparently in a Spanish newspaper.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 30 Dec 19 10.12am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

While the Offside Rule remains as it is, we will continue to see these ridiculous ' armpit ' decisions.

Combine that with the way in which VAR is being employed and we have the mess that we are witnessing every weekend.

I thought that VAR was only going to be used to analyse events where there was some uncertainty - not look for reasons to disallow goals.

VAR overturned Anthony Taylor twice in the Spurs v Chelsea game when he got it hopelessly wrong ( shock, horror ) with the Spurs 'keeper incident and Son's petulance and that was good use of the technology although I still don't know how Taylor could get it so wrong in the first place.

If VAR is here to stay then the authorities need to either change the offside rule or review how VAR is to be used.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 30 Dec 19 10.31am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

With VAR the ref should have a look pitch side with lines and all.
Not to the public on tv.
That way it's his or her decision on whether it was clear and obvious.
Then erase so never to be seen again.
Trust in refereeing then would surely return.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 30 Dec 19 10.35am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

While the Offside Rule remains as it is, we will continue to see these ridiculous ' armpit ' decisions.

Combine that with the way in which VAR is being employed and we have the mess that we are witnessing every weekend.

I thought that VAR was only going to be used to analyse events where there was some uncertainty - not look for reasons to disallow goals.

VAR overturned Anthony Taylor twice in the Spurs v Chelsea game when he got it hopelessly wrong ( shock, horror ) with the Spurs 'keeper incident and Son's petulance and that was good use of the technology although I still don't know how Taylor could get it so wrong in the first place.

If VAR is here to stay then the authorities need to either change the offside rule or review how VAR is to be used.

Statistics revealed that the Assistants were getting offside decisions right 98% of the time so in effect there were hardly any mistakes made.

With the introduction of VAR we now have "Armpit gate" and other controversies, week on week to the extent that supporters are enraged and totally fedup with the incessant debate that surrounds this issue, not forgetting of course the injustices they see in such hairline decisions.Games are stopped, VAR checks are not concluded with sufficient alacrity and this is having a negative affect on the entertainment factor of football and the PL.

There is an argument that with the very high percentage of correct offside calls which used to be made pre-VAR, the technology should be used solely to determine penalties,simulation and red cards and whilst of course there will still be controversy and debate, there will not be this furore we have at the present time.

There is also the argument that as in cricket, where an umpire's decision not to award LBW stands if Hawkeye adjudges that a ball would only have just touched the stumps, a degree of elasticity could be introduced in terms of VAR and offsides.

As things stand, VAR is having a negative affect on players and supporters so changes are necessary.VAR is mired in controversy and confusion.

Edited by Willo (30 Dec 2019 10.38am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 30 Dec 19 10.57am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Statistics revealed that the Assistants were getting offside decisions right 98% of the time so in effect there were hardly any mistakes made.

With the introduction of VAR we now have "Armpit gate" and other controversies, week on week to the extent that supporters are enraged and totally fedup with the incessant debate that surrounds this issue, not forgetting of course the injustices they see in such hairline decisions.Games are stopped, VAR checks are not concluded with sufficient alacrity and this is having a negative affect on the entertainment factor of football and the PL.

There is an argument that with the very high percentage of correct offside calls which used to be made pre-VAR, the technology should be used solely to determine penalties,simulation and red cards and whilst of course there will still be controversy and debate, there will not be this furore we have at the present time.

There is also the argument that as in cricket, where an umpire's decision not to award LBW stands if Hawkeye adjudges that a ball would only have just touched the stumps, a degree of elasticity could be introduced in terms of VAR and offsides.

As things stand, VAR is having a negative affect on players and supporters so changes are necessary.VAR is mired in controversy and confusion.

Edited by Willo (30 Dec 2019 10.38am)

That’s a very fair summation.
No idea how old linesmen are but how do they stay in line with teenage flyers when professional players get left in their wake?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 15 of 18 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Southampton vs Palace Match Thread