You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Starting to adore Keir Starmer.
October 21 2020 12.06pm

Starting to adore Keir Starmer.

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 23 Sep 20 7.20am Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

Corbyn is, was and forever will be a loser.

It's amazing Labour act as if coming second in a two horse race is like winning.

Labour are now the party of the Guardian rather than the Mirror and a few heads in the trough union officials.

My late aunt was proper Labour, the Labour of Atlee, not the Labour of division and class war

Good riddance and I hope they break up into little factions of self importance.

Otherwise, don't have a problem with them.

Ah, but in those days we had a proper 'working class' for Labour to appeal to.

I think that's half of Labour's problems these days.

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 23 Sep 20 7.58am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by becky

Ah, but in those days we had a proper 'working class' for Labour to appeal to.

I think that's half of Labour's problems these days.

Agreed. We still have three classes they are:

1.Upper Class

2. Working Class / Middle Class (little difference between them now)

3. Underclass (Feral, work-shy, scroungers, criminal etc.)

Labour appeals to the Underclass they need to reach out to the White Van Man, self employed and the aspirational.

Edited by Badger11 (23 Sep 2020 7.58am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 24 Sep 20 9.03am Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Starmer making full use of his 'right to reply' on TV last night.

If he or other previous PMs Blair Brown had been listened to we would have had mass testing up and running by now and facing the future with some hope.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 24 Sep 20 9.14am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Starmer making full use of his 'right to reply' on TV last night.

If he or other previous PMs Blair Brown had been listened to we would have had mass testing up and running by now and facing the future with some hope.

The government is blundering around however I have yet to see any good ideas from any of the opposition parties just criticism and tweaking e.g. you should have done that 2 weeks ago.

Well for now Starmer can get away with that as the focus is on the government and an election many years away. But some day people will start asking what Labour's plans are that's when he will be judged.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 24 Sep 20 9.29am Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

The government is blundering around however I have yet to see any good ideas from any of the opposition parties just criticism and tweaking e.g. you should have done that 2 weeks ago.

Well for now Starmer can get away with that as the focus is on the government and an election many years away. But some day people will start asking what Labour's plans are that's when he will be judged.

Labour have been advocating a mass testing regime since the inception of covid-19.

And under Labour the UK would not have had austerity but a fully funded state of the art health service.

The tories are not going to solve covid-19, they are just control freaks bullying the population.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 24 Sep 20 10.26am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Labour have been advocating a mass testing regime since the inception of covid-19.

And under Labour the UK would not have had austerity but a fully funded state of the art health service.

The tories are not going to solve covid-19, they are just control freaks bullying the population.

You do make me laugh.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 24 Sep 20 10.41am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

[Link]

He does make me smile. Labour deserved to lose in 2019 purely because of the insanity of its position on Brexit which he was fundamental in bringing about (you can even date and time the moment back at the conference in 2018 ).

Now I am no lover of Corbyn and if he had won in Dec 2019 suspect I would have been on a list for an 're-education' camp already but the reality was that in 2017, based on a clear stance of respecting the Brexit vote, Corbyn pulled in 40% of the vote. An incredible performance.

Fast forward 30 months and he gets absolutely tonked. Why? Corbyn was a no-good left wing c*** in 2017. He remained a no good left wing c*** in 2019. That ain't changed.

Labour got its arse handed to it because people like Starmer forced it into a position of adopting an electoral policy that was utterly suicidal. Made zero rational political sense in any way, shape or form. You wanted to guarantee a Labour loss, then you campaign for a second vote.

So yes Keir, Labour did deserve to lose in 2019. But that was down to you and others like you. But fair play to the man for making me smile this morning.

Edited by Matov (22 Sep 2020 11.01am)

Edited by Matov (22 Sep 2020 11.02am)

Whilst Starmer might make you smile, you just made me!

Your posts frequently do as they are so far removed from any connections to reality.

Corbyn was totally responsible for the size of Labour's loss last year and, as a consequence, responsible for allowing an incompetent Tory government to be able to act without effective oversight.

The problem wasn't "campaigning for a second vote". It was NOT campaigning for a second vote and offering a garbled message about what it planned to do. Labour was hogtied by Corbyn's personal opposition to the EU. It tried to face both ways and appeal to remainers in the south and it's core base in the north.

Labour lost not in December but a year ago when it spurned the opportunity to take down the government via a vote of no confidence. If Corbyn had resigned and the opposition parties had formed a government of national unity, together with the brave group of resisting Tories, we would not now be in the mess we are now. We would have had an interim PM, and a deal with the EU that would have guaranteed a soft Brexit and a confirmatory referendum to approve it, locked into law before another GE.

What would have then happened when the pandemic struck can only be conjecture but I suspect that all further negotiations with the EU would have been suspended whilst a joint effort was mounted to work together to defeat it. Delaying Brexit when C19 is a much bigger priority is a no brainer. That it isn't even discussed just shows how brainless this government is turning out to be.

Starmer has been thrown a curve ball but if he re-directs Labour back to the centre ground then there is every chance that they will win the next GE. Capturing the centre ground is the only way that any political party can expect to gain power in the UK.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 24 Sep 20 10.42am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Labour have been advocating a mass testing regime since the inception of covid-19.

And under Labour the UK would not have had austerity but a fully funded state of the art health service.

The tories are not going to solve covid-19, they are just control freaks bullying the population.

How would that utopian fully funded etc get the finance. Ah yes tax the rich more. Full socialist ideology there. Look at why austerity was needed.
I think socialism is a permanent bully. Go check out a real country run how you want the uk to be.
Without rose tinted specs. That's why zim now wants investment from the west. It dont work.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 24 Sep 20 10.44am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Whilst Starmer might make you smile, you just made me!

Your posts frequently do as they are so far removed from any connections to reality.

Corbyn was totally responsible for the size of Labour's loss last year and, as a consequence, responsible for allowing an incompetent Tory government to be able to act without effective oversight.

The problem wasn't "campaigning for a second vote". It was NOT campaigning for a second vote and offering a garbled message about what it planned to do. Labour was hogtied by Corbyn's personal opposition to the EU. It tried to face both ways and appeal to remainers in the south and it's core base in the north.

Labour lost not in December but a year ago when it spurned the opportunity to take down the government via a vote of no confidence. If Corbyn had resigned and the opposition parties had formed a government of national unity, together with the brave group of resisting Tories, we would not now be in the mess we are now. We would have had an interim PM, and a deal with the EU that would have guaranteed a soft Brexit and a confirmatory referendum to approve it, locked into law before another GE.

What would have then happened when the pandemic struck can only be conjecture but I suspect that all further negotiations with the EU would have been suspended whilst a joint effort was mounted to work together to defeat it. Delaying Brexit when C19 is a much bigger priority is a no brainer. That it isn't even discussed just shows how brainless this government is turning out to be.

Starmer has been thrown a curve ball but if he re-directs Labour back to the centre ground then there is every chance that they will win the next GE. Capturing the centre ground is the only way that any political party can expect to gain power in the UK.

Or have labour as the opposition.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elpis's Profile Elpis Flag In a pub 24 Sep 20 11.26am Send a Private Message to Elpis Add Elpis as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle


Starmer has been thrown a curve ball but if he re-directs Labour back to the centre ground then there is every chance that they will win the next GE. Capturing the centre ground is the only way that any political party can expect to gain power in the UK.

Indeed but with the centre moving to the right will the radical left of the labour party go with him ? I doubt it .
With the SNP hoovering up labour seats North of the border labour in its current guise have no hope of winning a UK election

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 24 Sep 20 11.43am Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Starmer is the better man and everyone knows it.

Johnson is a complete joke, and that is how the world is seeing us.

His performances, calling the EU abusers and Starmer an IRA sympathiser, only an idiot would talk like that, not a leader of his country.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 24 Sep 20 11.52am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Starmer is a brief so squeezing a truth from a lie is easy for him. It's part of the job description.
If labour could have a policy or two and not just a dig at HMG they might have a chance. Those policies though have to appeal to a majority of voters and make their lives better or at least not worse.
Say 52% benefitting to say 48% not for example.
See what I did there

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Starting to adore Keir Starmer.