You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Minimum wage
October 21 2020 10.54am

Minimum wage

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View Tim Gypsy Hill '64's Profile Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Flag Stoke sub normal 02 Oct 20 12.10am Send a Private Message to Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Add Tim Gypsy Hill '64 as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

I think the aslef drivers on 50k plus would disagree hrolf, whats good for the goose?

And this is why. 50kpa to drive in a straight line ffs!

Cabbies should earn more.....

Edited by Tim Gypsy Hill '64 (02 Oct 2020 12.11am)

 


Systematically dragged down by the lawmakers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag croydon 02 Oct 20 12.11am Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

And this is why. 50kpa to drive ffs!

Do you resent their 50 k then? What about a banker sitting in a nice office in the city, do you value him at 50k?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag croydon 02 Oct 20 12.14am Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

And this is why. 50kpa to drive in a straight line ffs!

Cabbies should earn more.....

Edited by Tim Gypsy Hill '64 (02 Oct 2020 12.11am)

Sorry - only saw first line and not even the straight line bit, but yes, cabbies are hard done by in comparison!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tim Gypsy Hill '64's Profile Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Flag Stoke sub normal 02 Oct 20 12.24am Send a Private Message to Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Add Tim Gypsy Hill '64 as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Sorry - only saw first line and not even the straight line bit, but yes, cabbies are hard done by in comparison!

It's ok. People don't deserve more for where they work, but what they do. Somebody who has spent years learning to become a surgeon so that they can save lives is more important than the person who removes the dirty scalpels and the cleaning staff that clear up the mess. But should they be paid the same?

 


Systematically dragged down by the lawmakers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tim Gypsy Hill '64's Profile Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Flag Stoke sub normal 02 Oct 20 12.26am Send a Private Message to Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Add Tim Gypsy Hill '64 as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

It's ok. People don't deserve more for where they work, but what they do. Somebody who has spent years learning to become a surgeon so that they can save lives is more important than the person who removes the dirty scalpels and the cleaning staff that clear up the mess. But should they be paid the same?

edit I'll add they are equally important

 


Systematically dragged down by the lawmakers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag croydon 02 Oct 20 12.42am Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

edit I'll add they are equally important

Yeah, the person who has trained longer and studied harder like the surgeon should get more than the run of the mill jobs you can get off the street with no qualifications, i think those jobs are paid at the minimum now anyway, you couldn"t really pay them less in theory- but i wouldn"t bank on it not happening in the current environment. I have no problem with surgeons and the like getting top dollar, if you go in to the car park at mayday - croydon uni - you see lots of top cars parked up, thats the staff car park, and i doubt it"s the cleaners or nurses!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 02 Oct 20 4.18am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

My whole point wasnt to separate jobs for importance. It was that there is now no room to negotiate. Firms have taken the 'minimum' to mean the actual. All on the same rate, good and bad.
As for the banker, he is in the private sector which is different to the state sector. The private side makes the money to pay for the state side. Pure economics and if he makes millions for his bosses he gets rewarded accordingly. This minimum wage affects across all sectors, and both sides, state and private.
The unions do a job for their members but have you seen the salaries they get. Wow it puts them in the top 10%. How would that make you feel at the present. None of them were furloughed or layed off I dont think. Good for their time but now a bit too big for their boots.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 02 Oct 20 8.03am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

I thank you! It could well work, obviously not great for the working man but they seem to hate workers rights anyway so might as well bite the bullet and go back to the middle ages! I really do feel with zero hours contracts and the economic crash coming, anything is possible, never think "that" could never happen, it could, and probably will! I do feel for the youngsters starting out, if s*** really happens at least we can choose to drink ourselves to death, over a few years, but the young can"t afford to even do that!

My son applied for several jobs a couple of years ago, when he finished Uni ( including Sports Direct! thatís how desperate he was), as he was able to work any days/hours they all seemed keen until they found out he was over 21 and he heard no more. He obtained a job last year at Thorpe Park but was paid less than £8 ph. Enjoyed the job so was willing to go again completed 1 training day but in view of Covid was not required and missed out on being furloughed by a couple of days. Applied for farm work/ supermarkets earlier this year, heard nothing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 02 Oct 20 8.12am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

I think the aslef drivers on 50k plus would disagree hrolf, whats good for the goose?

How long before we have driverless trains?

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 02 Oct 20 9.28am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

My son applied for several jobs a couple of years ago, when he finished Uni ( including Sports Direct! thatís how desperate he was), as he was able to work any days/hours they all seemed keen until they found out he was over 21 and he heard no more. He obtained a job last year at Thorpe Park but was paid less than £8 ph. Enjoyed the job so was willing to go again completed 1 training day but in view of Covid was not required and missed out on being furloughed by a couple of days. Applied for farm work/ supermarkets earlier this year, heard nothing.

My lad has just got his first job. 12hr shifts in a printing place local to us. 10 minute walk. Zero hours contract but £9 odd per hour. 3 days on then 3 off etc. His boss is ok with his type 1 being checked regularly as well. Hard graft but once his bank account starts filling up he will be pleased that hes sticking at it. At least his xbox has a chance to cool down

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 02 Oct 20 9.44am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

My lad has just got his first job. 12hr shifts in a printing place local to us. 10 minute walk. Zero hours contract but £9 odd per hour. 3 days on then 3 off etc. His boss is ok with his type 1 being checked regularly as well. Hard graft but once his bank account starts filling up he will be pleased that hes sticking at it. At least his xbox has a chance to cool down

Good luck to him hope it works out well.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Online Flag Croydon 02 Oct 20 11.39am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

My prediction, and I have nothing to back this up with except a hunch, is that wages will in real terms get lower and lower.

Partially due to automation, partIally due to the huge influx in immigration, partially due to outsourcing.

Itís not an easy job market for youngsters to enter, never mind getting on the housing market.

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Minimum wage