You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Taking the knee
April 10 2021 8.53pm

Taking the knee

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 151 of 152 < 147 148 149 150 151 152 >

 

View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 13 Mar 21 9.39am Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Interesting that they have just announced that taking of the knee will be reassessed at the end of this season. Perhaps because there will be crowds back in the ground?

The rhetoric has also changed around what they were actually standing (kneeling) for. Somehow the NHS has become part of the equation but hey everyone else seems to make crap up during the pandemic so why should football be any different.

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 13 Mar 21 10.56am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

Interesting that they have just announced that taking of the knee will be reassessed at the end of this season. Perhaps because there will be crowds back in the ground?

The rhetoric has also changed around what they were actually standing (kneeling) for. Somehow the NHS has become part of the equation but hey everyone else seems to make crap up during the pandemic so why should football be any different.

[Link]

Stand by for an embarrassing climb down disguised with spin.

Oh, sometimes life is just too predictable.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 13 Mar 21 11.11am Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Assuming he starts this afternoon as expected, it will be interesting to see if Wilf sticks to his refusal to kneel and stands tall instead. If he does stand, will his team-mates support him?

There will be a flurry of feathers in the dovecote whatever happens I suspect.

 


Dad and I would watch games on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end, probably at the same time as Roy.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 13 Mar 21 11.27am Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

Assuming he starts this afternoon as expected, it will be interesting to see if Wilf sticks to his refusal to kneel and stands tall instead. If he does stand, will his team-mates support him?

There will be a flurry of feathers in the dovecote whatever happens I suspect.

Oh yes, it will be my first deliberate watch of the knee bend thatís for sure. Still it will give the commentators something to talk about given the game probably wonít be up to much.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 13 Mar 21 12.14pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

Oh yes, it will be my first deliberate watch of the knee bend thatís for sure. Still it will give the commentators something to talk about given the game probably wonít be up to much.

Last week I was annoyed that I saw the knee thing, I just want to watch football, not Malcolm X. I'm going to have to wait a good few minutes before watching matches - and hope we don't concede in that time. At least, if we do I won't have seen it. I'm presuming we haven't scored in the first few minutes ourselves often. Or am I having a memory problem?

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View corkery's Profile corkery Flag Cork City 13 Mar 21 7.37pm Send a Private Message to corkery Add corkery as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

Interesting that they have just announced that taking of the knee will be reassessed at the end of this season. Perhaps because there will be crowds back in the ground?

The rhetoric has also changed around what they were actually standing (kneeling) for. Somehow the NHS has become part of the equation but hey everyone else seems to make crap up during the pandemic so why should football be any different.

[Link]

They have realised how stupid it's going to look in Qatar.

 


We'll never die

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 13 Mar 21 10.26pm Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

Assuming he starts this afternoon as expected, it will be interesting to see if Wilf sticks to his refusal to kneel and stands tall instead. If he does stand, will his team-mates support him?

There will be a flurry of feathers in the dovecote whatever happens I suspect.

He did indeed remain standing -it made the BBC News tonight

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 15 Mar 21 10.12am Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Yes, I was very pleased he stuck to his guns - also won us some back door publicity.

Would definitely like to see others follow his lead. Taking the knee has outlived it's purpose.

 


Dad and I would watch games on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end, probably at the same time as Roy.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 30 Mar 21 8.57am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Interesting media coverage of the George Floyd murder trial. Many outlets are not even attempting to report impartially the assumption being that unless the officer is convicted it will be a miscarriage of justice.

The other odd thing about the reporting is the claim that this trial will decide what happens in policing across America e.g. will black people get justice in the courts.

I say odd because many times I have pointed out that the US justice system is local and not national. It's like saying tonight's parish council meeting will change Parliament, no it wont.

Whatever the decision it will be reached under state law and each state has it's own laws for better or worse and they are not the same.

This maybe a high profile case but just like the OJ and Rodney King trials I don't expect much to change unless local people demand that local politicians change their policies on local policing.

Edited by Badger11 (30 Mar 2021 9.00am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 30 Mar 21 11.10am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

It will be a circus whatever happens.
Was the Officer wrong - probably - but who wants to deal with an out of control, drug crazed individual who has just held a knife to a pregnant woman's belly to get drugs or money for drugs.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 30 Mar 21 11.16am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Interesting media coverage of the George Floyd murder trial. Many outlets are not even attempting to report impartially the assumption being that unless the officer is convicted it will be a miscarriage of justice.

The other odd thing about the reporting is the claim that this trial will decide what happens in policing across America e.g. will black people get justice in the courts.

I say odd because many times I have pointed out that the US justice system is local and not national. It's like saying tonight's parish council meeting will change Parliament, no it wont.

Whatever the decision it will be reached under state law and each state has it's own laws for better or worse and they are not the same.

This maybe a high profile case but just like the OJ and Rodney King trials I don't expect much to change unless local people demand that local politicians change their policies on local policing.

Edited by Badger11 (30 Mar 2021 9.00am)

It's not a fair trial at all. Like they had to let OJ off, they have to convict this guy. Or very serious race riots, that's the choice.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 30 Mar 21 11.42am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

I agree.
You would think that Floyd was a Saint the way he is now being portrayed.
However - I cannot see justification for the way he was restrained although we only see what we see - I wasn't there so......................

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 151 of 152 < 147 148 149 150 151 152 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Taking the knee