You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Tim Martin
June 21 2021 2.19am

Tim Martin

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 7 of 9 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

 

View nettletoneagle's Profile nettletoneagle Flag market rasen 05 Jun 21 12.33pm Send a Private Message to nettletoneagle Add nettletoneagle as a friend

Anyway, does anybody actually like using Wetherspoons for anything other than cheap beer and appalling food?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 05 Jun 21 12.38pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

The most unusual place I've been to is Gibraltar...couldn't really get my head around it.

It so obviously benefits from being British but locally it felt such a confused mish mash....still I was only there for a day so it probably wasn't long enough to properly evaluate it....the missus loved it, while I started to understand the Spanish resentment....because I came away with a 'cake and eat it' feel.

Edited by Stirlingsays (05 Jun 2021 11.49am)

In Andorra they absolutely loved Eastenders. Said it felt like the Catalan culture.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 05 Jun 21 12.39pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by nettletoneagle

Anyway, does anybody actually like using Wetherspoons for anything other than cheap beer and appalling food?

I always go to one when I want to headbutt someone on the nose.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 05 Jun 21 1.43pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

In Andorra they absolutely loved Eastenders. Said it felt like the Catalan culture.

The only thing the people behind Eastenders ever got right about the East end was the accents.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 05 Jun 21 2.53pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

Shock news

Duplicitous views expressed by person utilising media.

The only galling thing, is that they've publicly changed their mind in order to maintain personal wealth/position, having been blissfully ignorant of the potential pitfalls of their previously held stance, and how it could affect people.

Edited by Forest Hillbilly (05 Jun 2021 2.54pm)

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 05 Jun 21 3.13pm Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger


Is this not a universal trait? Most people are brought up to believe that their country is best. It's hardly a revelation.
I have seen some wonderful places and experienced other culture but one is seeing it as a foreigner. Your perspective is different. When observing another country from afar, one is also bringing their own prejudices to bear.
As an ex pat, it is likely that you left Britain for work or because you didn't like your country or people there didn't like you. You might hold a resentment that you could even be unaware of.
None of this is very interesting or surprising.


I left the UK because I didn't like the way of life. I discovered this after being given a 3 month assignment in Germany. I discovered there was more to drinking and getting drunk every weekend, eating crap food and basically doing nothing interesting at all plus the expense of everything and the under capacity of everything. I never saw any of this until I worked abroad and it was an eye opener looking back in from the outside. I joined a company in Germany and after that, I set up my own business, working and living in a number of other EU countries. I've got multiple citizenship now, 3 passports.

The term 'ex-pat' I never use, I'm a British immigrant and so is every other Brit who lives abroad. I've never experienced the 'flag waving' nationalism in any other country I have lived in, only the UK and that's only obvious when you've been living outside of the country. I'm not talking about football tournaments but everyday life. No 'resentment' at all, just observation from looking in from the outside but typically it's taken as a resentment when it's pointed out. Heyho, nothing I can do about that but it's a typical trait shown when people don't have real experience of other cultures. A week's vacation somewhere hot twice a year doesn't really cut it.


Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 3.26pm)

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 05 Jun 21 4.11pm Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290


I left the UK because I didn't like the way of life. I discovered this after being given a 3 month assignment in Germany. I discovered there was more to drinking and getting drunk every weekend, eating crap food and basically doing nothing interesting at all plus the expense of everything and the under capacity of everything. I never saw any of this until I worked abroad and it was an eye opener looking back in from the outside. I joined a company in Germany and after that, I set up my own business, working and living in a number of other EU countries. I've got multiple citizenship now, 3 passports.

The term 'ex-pat' I never use, I'm a British immigrant and so is every other Brit who lives abroad. I've never experienced the 'flag waving' nationalism in any other country I have lived in, only the UK and that's only obvious when you've been living outside of the country. I'm not talking about football tournaments but everyday life. No 'resentment' at all, just observation from looking in from the outside but typically it's taken as a resentment when it's pointed out. Heyho, nothing I can do about that but it's a typical trait shown when people don't have real experience of other cultures. A week's vacation somewhere hot twice a year doesn't really cut it.


Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 3.26pm)

Condescending dribble

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 05 Jun 21 4.43pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290


I left the UK because I didn't like the way of life. I discovered this after being given a 3 month assignment in Germany. I discovered there was more to drinking and getting drunk every weekend, eating crap food and basically doing nothing interesting at all plus the expense of everything and the under capacity of everything. I never saw any of this until I worked abroad and it was an eye opener looking back in from the outside. I joined a company in Germany and after that, I set up my own business, working and living in a number of other EU countries. I've got multiple citizenship now, 3 passports.

The term 'ex-pat' I never use, I'm a British immigrant and so is every other Brit who lives abroad. I've never experienced the 'flag waving' nationalism in any other country I have lived in, only the UK and that's only obvious when you've been living outside of the country. I'm not talking about football tournaments but everyday life. No 'resentment' at all, just observation from looking in from the outside but typically it's taken as a resentment when it's pointed out. Heyho, nothing I can do about that but it's a typical trait shown when people don't have real experience of other cultures. A week's vacation somewhere hot twice a year doesn't really cut it.


Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 3.26pm)

If someone is content with all parts of their life and where they live then that's fine with me. You probably were never happy and it's all false as you are still not happy. Hey ho though it takes all sorts I suppose.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 05 Jun 21 4.56pm Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Condescending dribble


Expected low intelligence comment.

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 05 Jun 21 4.57pm Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

If someone is content with all parts of their life and where they live then that's fine with me. You probably were never happy and it's all false as you are still not happy. Hey ho though it takes all sorts I suppose.

Looks like you're a very good example of someone who's always looked out but never looked from the outside in.

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 05 Jun 21 5.03pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290


I left the UK because I didn't like the way of life. I discovered this after being given a 3 month assignment in Germany. I discovered there was more to drinking and getting drunk every weekend, eating crap food and basically doing nothing interesting at all plus the expense of everything and the under capacity of everything. I never saw any of this until I worked abroad and it was an eye opener looking back in from the outside. I joined a company in Germany and after that, I set up my own business, working and living in a number of other EU countries. I've got multiple citizenship now, 3 passports.

The term 'ex-pat' I never use, I'm a British immigrant and so is every other Brit who lives abroad. I've never experienced the 'flag waving' nationalism in any other country I have lived in, only the UK and that's only obvious when you've been living outside of the country. I'm not talking about football tournaments but everyday life. No 'resentment' at all, just observation from looking in from the outside but typically it's taken as a resentment when it's pointed out. Heyho, nothing I can do about that but it's a typical trait shown when people don't have real experience of other cultures. A week's vacation somewhere hot twice a year doesn't really cut it.


Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 3.26pm)

So in short, you have a problem with Britain and that prejudice clouds your views.
I find it odd that if you didn't like eating too much, drinking and flag waving, since the Germans are famous for all of those things.
I wouldn't say that the English are perfect by any means, but I rarely see any flag waving or overt nationalism outside a small minority. Perhaps you are guilty of stereotyping.

One thing the majority did do was vote to regain our independence from a former trading block with increasing ambitions to become a European superstate.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 05 Jun 21 5.19pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290

Looks like you're a very good example of someone who's always looked out but never looked from the outside in.

Is there a problem wanting to be like that then?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 7 of 9 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Tim Martin