You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Tim Martin
June 21 2021 2.16am

Tim Martin

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 6 of 9 < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

 

View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 05 Jun 21 6.43am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290


and many Brits go and live in many other EU countries. Many other EU countries are still attractive places to live. So what? It works both ways.

I donít think either of us said they didnít. We were replying to a comment by Steeleye. My comment was based on fact and we know how you like your facts.

Edited by Spiderman (05 Jun 2021 6.49am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 05 Jun 21 7.40am Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

I donít think either of us said they didnít. We were replying to a comment by Steeleye. My comment was based on fact and we know how you like your facts.

Edited by Spiderman (05 Jun 2021 6.49am)

Yes I do like my facts. Having lived in 7 EU countries I've come across a lot of Brits who have been living outside of the UK. I also lived in the UK for years, so that gives balanced view from real experience of life in other cultures, being able to not only compare non-UK countries with the UK but also non-UK countries with other non-UK countries as the world doesn't revolve around the UK, which might come as a surprise to many on here.

Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 7.42am)

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 05 Jun 21 8.05am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290

Yes I do like my facts. Having lived in 7 EU countries I've come across a lot of Brits who have been living outside of the UK. I also lived in the UK for years, so that gives balanced view from real experience of life in other cultures, being able to not only compare non-UK countries with the UK but also non-UK countries with other non-UK countries as the world doesn't revolve around the UK, which might come as a surprise to many on here.

Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 7.42am)

So what? As I said we were replying to a comment made by Steeleye, which was not based on fact. Your replies are irrelevant to that. Why do you insist with your confrontational tone?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 05 Jun 21 8.42am Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

So what? As I said we were replying to a comment made by Steeleye, which was not based on fact. Your replies are irrelevant to that. Why do you insist with your confrontational tone?


Not confrontational at all, that's how you want to see it to make another comment.

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 05 Jun 21 9.05am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290

Yes I do like my facts. Having lived in 7 EU countries I've come across a lot of Brits who have been living outside of the UK. I also lived in the UK for years, so that gives balanced view from real experience of life in other cultures, being able to not only compare non-UK countries with the UK but also non-UK countries with other non-UK countries as the world doesn't revolve around the UK, which might come as a surprise to many on here.

Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 7.42am)

For all intents and purposes what matters to most people is in their country, area and local living spaces. This will also be true for most living in other countries, so while I appreciate the pro globalist lefty stereotype it's also unnecessary condescension.

Edited by Stirlingsays (05 Jun 2021 9.07am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 05 Jun 21 9.11am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

The - largely pre-Brexit - stats for year to March 2020 are:

EU citizens also continue to add to the UK population, with 195,000 EU citizens moving to the UK with an intention of staying 12 months or more, with 137,000 leaving the UK. This has created a net migration estimate of 58,000 for EU citizens.

Statistician's comment

"Our best estimate of net migration, using all available data sources, is 313,000 for the year ending March 2020. After a period of stability, we were seeing migration levels begin to increase in the past 12 months leading up to the coronavirus pandemic. This was being driven by increases in non-EU student arrivals, mainly from China and India.Ďí

Hong Kong looks like driving a new wave.

So pre Brexit net migration is less than one fifth of the total and is likely to have fallen and continue to fall since then.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 05 Jun 21 9.34am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

The - largely pre-Brexit - stats for year to March 2020 are:

EU citizens also continue to add to the UK population, with 195,000 EU citizens moving to the UK with an intention of staying 12 months or more, with 137,000 leaving the UK. This has created a net migration estimate of 58,000 for EU citizens.

Statistician's comment

"Our best estimate of net migration, using all available data sources, is 313,000 for the year ending March 2020. After a period of stability, we were seeing migration levels begin to increase in the past 12 months leading up to the coronavirus pandemic. This was being driven by increases in non-EU student arrivals, mainly from China and India.Ďí

Hong Kong looks like driving a new wave.

So pre Brexit net migration is less than one fifth of the total and is likely to have fallen and continue to fall since then.

Not disputing these facts but am intrigued as to where they get the estimates from. Pre-Brexit EU arrivals were not asked how long they were staying and for what purpose, certainly not at the border

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 05 Jun 21 9.36am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290


Not confrontational at all, that's how you want to see it to make another comment.

This is a discussion board so presumably posters are allowed to make comments, I am not alone in questioning the tone of your posts. There we go another comment, have a good day

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 05 Jun 21 11.15am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290

Yes I do like my facts. Having lived in 7 EU countries I've come across a lot of Brits who have been living outside of the UK. I also lived in the UK for years, so that gives balanced view from real experience of life in other cultures, being able to not only compare non-UK countries with the UK but also non-UK countries with other non-UK countries as the world doesn't revolve around the UK, which might come as a surprise to many on here.

Edited by Orange1290 (05 Jun 2021 7.42am)


Why would you imagine that?

In my experience, it is always the people who have left England who want to shout the loudest about how it should be run.
Other than giving us a run down on your geographical experience, do you actually have an interesting and objective observation to make?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 05 Jun 21 11.26am Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger


Why would you imagine that?

In my experience, it is always the people who have left England who want to shout the loudest about how it should be run.
Other than giving us a run down on your geographical experience, do you actually have an interesting and objective observation to make?


Sure because we have additional experiences and can make qualified comparisons. Without that experience, what are you measuring against? What we do see is a constant 'flag waving' within the UK and assumption that everyone else's ideas are second rate or not worth listening to. Understandable from those who don't have the experience of other cultures but that doesn't make their 'views' correct at all. I always listen to those with experience in areas that are of interest or of importance to my life rather than contradict or ignore simply because I can't accept that I don't have that experience. Still, I don't expect that to be understood by some on here as they only look outwards from within, rather than having the experience to also look within from outside.

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 05 Jun 21 11.36am Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290


Sure because we have additional experiences and can make qualified comparisons. Without that experience, what are you measuring against? What we do see is a constant 'flag waving' within the UK and assumption that everyone else's ideas are second rate or not worth listening to. Understandable from those who don't have the experience of other cultures but that doesn't make their 'views' correct at all. I always listen to those with experience in areas that are of interest or of importance to my life rather than contradict or ignore simply because I can't accept that I don't have that experience. Still, I don't expect that to be understood by some on here as they only look outwards from within, rather than having the experience to also look within from outside.


Is this not a universal trait? Most people are brought up to believe that their country is best. It's hardly a revelation.
I have seen some wonderful places and experienced other culture but one is seeing it as a foreigner. Your perspective is different. When observing another country from afar, one is also bringing their own prejudices to bear.
As an ex pat, it is likely that you left Britain for work or because you didn't like your country or people there didn't like you. You might hold a resentment that you could even be unaware of.
None of this is very interesting or surprising.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 05 Jun 21 11.46am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger


Is this not a universal trait? Most people are brought up to believe that their country is best. It's hardly a revelation.
I have seen some wonderful places and experienced other culture but one is seeing it as a foreigner. Your perspective is different. When observing another country from afar, one is also bringing their own prejudices to bear.
As an ex pat, it is likely that you left Britain for work or because you didn't like your country or people there didn't like you. You might hold a resentment that you could even be unaware of.
None of this is very interesting or surprising.

The most unusual place I've been to is Gibraltar...couldn't really get my head around it.

It so obviously benefits from being British but locally it felt such a confused mish mash....still I was only there for a day so it probably wasn't long enough to properly evaluate it....the missus loved it, while I started to understand the Spanish resentment....because I came away with a 'cake and eat it' feel.

Edited by Stirlingsays (05 Jun 2021 11.49am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 6 of 9 < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Tim Martin