You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Notting Hill carnival
September 21 2023 12.43pm

Notting Hill carnival

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 15 of 17 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

 

View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 29 Aug 23 7.22am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Take your pick

BBC
A wonderful celebration of Windrush and Caribbean culture

[Link]

Daily Mail
Bloody Violence

[Link]

The BBC choose to bury the fact that 8 people were stabbed and 275 arrests were made. It's there in the article but the majority of it is all about what a great success it was.

For reference in England over the entire football season approximately 2000 arrests were made, that is hundreds of games and millions of spectators.

Edited by Badger11 (29 Aug 2023 7.25am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View orpingtoneagle's Profile orpingtoneagle Flag Orpington 29 Aug 23 9.09am Send a Private Message to orpingtoneagle Add orpingtoneagle as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Last year :

Police made 209 arrests including:
46 for assault
8 for sexual assault
27 for public order
36 arrests for possession of drugs,
five for criminal damage and
33 for possession of an offensive weapon
A 21 yr old was stabbed to death.

So if 2m go and there are a little over 200 arrests that is around 0.01% of those attending.

Not a massive number similar to around 3 arrests at a match at Selhurst.
As others have said if you don't like it don't go.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 29 Aug 23 9.34am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by orpingtoneagle

So if 2m go and there are a little over 200 arrests that is around 0.01% of those attending.

Not a massive number similar to around 3 arrests at a match at Selhurst.
As others have said if you don't like it don't go.

The sheer violence, thuggery,stabbings and anti-social behaviour occurs year on year, it is totally unacceptable and the 'Carnival' should be banned.I suspect the actual figures quoted due not represent the sheer scale of what has become a dastardly yearly crime spot. Of course it will allowed to continue unabated,more's the pity.

I have made my views perfectly clear and have nothing more to add on this matter.No amount of statistical 'Massaging' will alter my mindset.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 29 Aug 23 10.04am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11


The BBC choose to bury the fact that 8 people were stabbed and 275 arrests were made. It's there in the article but the majority of it is all about what a great success it was.

For reference in England over the entire football season approximately 2000 arrests were made, that is hundreds of games and millions of spectators.

and if somebody got their iPhone broken at a Donald Trump rally ? the BBC would open a condolences-book and a Shrine. For the Tomb of the unknown iPhone

 


inr n-aonar i Anerley,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NE14T's Profile NE14T Flag 29 Aug 23 10.14am Send a Private Message to NE14T Add NE14T as a friend

The BBC journalists/editors have obviously been directed this year to put a positive spin on the festival and bury crime reporting to the back pages. You can argue whether this is good or bad.

There are obviously very good things about the festival and much work goes into itso Im all for highlighting the positives. It does however attract quite a few idiots who carry knives and the incredible thing is that they are prepared to use them at this cultural celebration frequented by young and old. Scum-bags at the very highest level.

 


The beatings will stop when morale improves.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 29 Aug 23 10.34am Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Not an event I would ever attend, due to the crowds, but I salute the Windrush generation all they have put up with and overcome.

As has the carnival itself, now an embedded part of our culture, two millions attending can't be wrong.

There will always be an element I'm afraid, as there always is in life.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 29 Aug 23 10.43am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

This BBC bashing is a genuine bore, but the general media love in has resonance.

Some years ago I used to live round there. I went year after year. It was brilliant. Then I was mugged. It wasn't nice.

The next cover of the NME had a nasty copper "ruining" Carnival. The article inside was a polemic, juvenile, tirade that could have been written by Dave Spart from Private Eye or Rik from the Young Ones.

The BBC are not alone on this. They are just the biggest. And there are things that apparently can't be said or issues touched in the current zeitgeist - by anyone. For instance, the ethnicity of those solicitors who falsified stories for asylum seekers or (and I could be wrong here) that of the person who nicked all those British Museum antiquities.

Is it not odd that this person was investigated, after being personally identified by a dealer who was approached by him/her; mysteriously cleared despite the unequivocal evidence; then, after "new" evidence arises (it hit the press) - sacked; and the police are only now engaged. It could be a straight issue of competence and/or reputation protection or a person with large gambling debts etc. In which case, ignore everything I have just written. Otherwise...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NE14T's Profile NE14T Flag 29 Aug 23 11.00am Send a Private Message to NE14T Add NE14T as a friend

Well said Steeleeye.

On the subject of the BBC, I do often get massively frustrated at what they report and what they ignore. I appreciate this is and has always been part of editorial discretion where many factors are at play including the public interest.

What is truly shocking however is their reluctance to report anything meaningful regarding the Biden family bribery and corruption scandal. This is one of the biggest and sickest stories of our generation and to look the other way is totally unacceptable.

and before you start Im no Trump supporter but just want a level playing field regarding reporting of US politics. The BBC has gone beyond a joke and apart from a root and branch clear out of senior staff Im not sure what the answer is.

I strive for fairness and impartially in my life. Surely its not too much to ask of the BBC.

 


The beatings will stop when morale improves.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eagle Black.'s Profile Eagle Black. Flag South Croydon 29 Aug 23 11.03am Send a Private Message to Eagle Black. Add Eagle Black. as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Take your pick

BBC
A wonderful celebration of Windrush and Caribbean culture

[Link]

Daily Mail
Bloody Violence

[Link]

The BBC choose to bury the fact that 8 people were stabbed and 275 arrests were made. It's there in the article but the majority of it is all about what a great success it was.

For reference in England over the entire football season approximately 2000 arrests were made, that is hundreds of games and millions of spectators.

Edited by Badger11 (29 Aug 2023 7.25am)


Very proud of my Jamaican roots,been to carnival a few times,love the floats, the sound systems,as for the trouble makers,they should all be locked up with key thrown away.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 29 Aug 23 11.33am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Eagle Black.


Very proud of my Jamaican roots,been to carnival a few times,love the floats, the sound systems,as for the trouble makers,they should all be locked up with key thrown away.

Good for you. I don't want it banned but like the carnival in Brazil it has got to big to be properly managed in the narrow streets of Notting Hill.

It's time they found a stadium or central area to host it safely. Previously there have been numerous reports about crushing due to large crowds I'm afraid it will take a tragedy of that magnitude before the politicians do anything.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 29 Aug 23 11.35am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

As has the carnival itself, now an embedded part of our culture, two millions attending can't be wrong.

There will always be an element I'm afraid, as there always is in life.

ah yes, i do recall the Chelsea Flower show. Six grannies, wielding machetes, and they mugged a big black guy. Cos he sucked his teeth walking past the graffiti on the Train they had tagged.

[Link]

Edited by PalazioVecchio (29 Aug 2023 11.40am)

 


inr n-aonar i Anerley,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag London 29 Aug 23 12.26pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Good for you. I don't want it banned but like the carnival in Brazil it has got to big to be properly managed in the narrow streets of Notting Hill.

It's time they found a stadium or central area to host it safely. Previously there have been numerous reports about crushing due to large crowds I'm afraid it will take a tragedy of that magnitude before the politicians do anything.

How about Anfield?

Got a nice big park beside it. Perfect venue

Edited by dreamwaverider (29 Aug 2023 12.27pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 15 of 17 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Notting Hill carnival