You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > cycling
October 28 2021 1.01pm

cycling

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

 

View Fatherken's Profile Fatherken Flag 31 Jul 21 2.08pm Send a Private Message to Fatherken Add Fatherken as a friend

The other day a cyclist was handed a 2 year prison sentence [ with the time off as he spent time on remand ] for going through a red light , knocking a pedestrian down and killing him . In my view a very soft sentence . I wonder what he would have got if was driving a car .
The government response to this is to include in the highway code a section on giving cyclist and pedestrian right of way .
The only people who read the highway code are the ones who take their motor bike or car test . I forgot , also the nerd cyclist who always think they are the right .
It is about time cyclist should take a road test , get a licence ad be insured .
I see they are building more cycle lane which will be
under used , if at all .
mini rant over

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vincehair's Profile Vincehair Flag London 31 Jul 21 2.13pm Send a Private Message to Vincehair Add Vincehair as a friend

The cyclist was Albanian or Romanian and didn't stop because he was worried about being deported.

Cyclist often get killed on the roads but drivers get off scot free

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vincehair's Profile Vincehair Flag London 31 Jul 21 2.15pm Send a Private Message to Vincehair Add Vincehair as a friend

Originally posted by Vincehair

The cyclist was Albanian or Romanian and didn't stop because he was worried about being deported.

Cyclist often get killed on the roads but drivers get off scot free

I've got a driving license but choose to cycle or catch a train

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Fatherken's Profile Fatherken Flag 31 Jul 21 2.28pm Send a Private Message to Fatherken Add Fatherken as a friend

hope you have got insurance for the bike

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 31 Jul 21 2.28pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Vincehair

The cyclist was Albanian or Romanian and didn't stop because he was worried about being deported.

Cyclist often get killed on the roads but drivers get off scot free

Cyclists mainly are killed on the roads, especially in cities because, they have a total disregared for any & all rules of the road(Highway Code) & virtually every other road user.

The sooner cyclists take road tests, have 3rd party insurance, have bike mot's & pay a proportionate road fund tax, the better. Most people have no idea what a LVG or (full)PCV Drivers have to go through especially to drive in London. There are approx 8 different courses they have to go through & pass, if they want to drive in London, then every year they have to do them all again.

Car drivers & to date, van drivers dont have to do this

 


Is now OFFICIALLY retired.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 31 Jul 21 2.32pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Vincehair

The cyclist was Albanian or Romanian and didn't stop because he was worried about being deported.

Cyclist often get killed on the roads but drivers get off scot free

I don't care if you are a cyclist or a driver if somebody is killed or seriously injured and it's your fault and not an accident you need to do serious time.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View johnny the eagle's Profile johnny the eagle Flag wivenhoe 31 Jul 21 2.35pm Send a Private Message to johnny the eagle Add johnny the eagle as a friend

Quite a few cyclists give themselves and the rest of us a bad name, jumping red lights, etc. But, just to add, the old geezer who knocked me off my bike on a roundabout was 84 years old. when I went to get his insurance details all he was worried about was losing his license, not the injuries I sustained. Which included a bleed on the brain, cut head needing stitches, loads of cuts and grazes, and bruising, he nearly effing killed me, put me in hospital for 3 days. He was at fault hit me on a roundabout, my right of way, I was on the roundabout, case ongoing. He admitted liability, the dashcam in his car proved his mistake. Police never prosecuted him my solicitor said owing to cost. Not all cyclists are nobs.

 


South London born and bred
red and blue till im dead.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 31 Jul 21 4.26pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Good to see CONservative transport minister Chris heaton-harris, warning councils they will have government funding cuts if they rip up cycle lanes and road blocking schemes for safer neighbourhoods, if you are a cyclist! As for cyclists, I can not see why they do not need a yearly bike mot test, insurance and a number plate to be allowed on the roads, as well as a cycle proficiency test that we all took as kids. It"s ironic, that the safest cyclists I have come across, are the ladys on the old black cycle with a basket, or the old cycles where the cyclist is going for a relaxing ride, the lycra clad helmet cam brigade all seem to think they are at the olympics and forget that the roads are full of cars, hgv"s and more importantly pedestrian crossings!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 31 Jul 21 4.43pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Always remember a few years ago the man getting killed by a hit and run cyclist in Regent street, not sure if he was ever caught as no way to trace him vehicle wise. And that poor lady Kim Briggs, going out for a lunchtime sandwich in Old streeet, and that Charlie Alliston chap, on his planet x racing cycle, with front brake removed on purpose, killing her as he couldn"t stop! Shocking behaviour, and only 2 years before good behaviour- he was a fan of those videos of people not stopping at lights etc, a time bomb waiting to go off! Im all for cyclists and scooters, as long as they obey the rules, but police should have zero tolerance on uninsured, un mot"d, untested cyclists, i"m sure the majority of cyclists would concur, as the rogue chaps give them a bad wrap!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 31 Jul 21 4.53pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Good to see CONservative transport minister Chris heaton-harris, warning councils they will have government funding cuts if they rip up cycle lanes and road blocking schemes for safer neighbourhoods, if you are a cyclist! As for cyclists, I can not see why they do not need a yearly bike mot test, insurance and a number plate to be allowed on the roads, as well as a cycle proficiency test that we all took as kids. It"s ironic, that the safest cyclists I have come across, are the ladys on the old black cycle with a basket, or the old cycles where the cyclist is going for a relaxing ride, the lycra clad helmet cam brigade all seem to think they are at the olympics and forget that the roads are full of cars, hgv"s and more importantly pedestrian crossings!

And the plums who think a shot on their mates’ Raleigh in the park when they were kids enables them to wobble about London on a Boris bike.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 31 Jul 21 5.09pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

And the plums who think a shot on their mates’ Raleigh in the park when they were kids enables them to wobble about London on a Boris bike.

Indeed! I"m sure that the majority of cyclists would also welcome paying road tax for cycles,the roads are a disgrace, I almost break an ankle just walking on some footpaths , to cycle on road with motor vehicles so close is risky. A small fee, perhaps £100 a year, per cycle, could go towards the upkeep of the highway, they would benefit most and some money raised could go towards a cycle police division, who have zero tolerance towards red light breakers, non stopping at crossings etc . Smoother tarmac, safer cycling-win win for the cyclist!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View johnny the eagle's Profile johnny the eagle Flag wivenhoe 31 Jul 21 5.33pm Send a Private Message to johnny the eagle Add johnny the eagle as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Indeed! I"m sure that the majority of cyclists would also welcome paying road tax for cycles,the roads are a disgrace, I almost break an ankle just walking on some footpaths , to cycle on road with motor vehicles so close is risky. A small fee, perhaps £100 a year, per cycle, could go towards the upkeep of the highway, they would benefit most and some money raised could go towards a cycle police division, who have zero tolerance towards red light breakers, non stopping at crossings etc . Smoother tarmac, safer cycling-win win for the cyclist!

I own a 1 litre 2016 Ford Fiesta and I pay zero road tax on it a year. I also own a road bike. I think a 1 litre Ford Fiesta does more damage to the surface of the road than my road bike would ever do. I don't know if I am right but, I also thought very little of the revenue collected from road tax was actually spent on maintaining roads anyway.

 


South London born and bred
red and blue till im dead.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > cycling