You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Wilf
October 5 2022 11.20pm

Wilf

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

 

View Phil’s Barber's Profile Phil’s Barber Online Flag Crowborough 27 Dec 21 11.32am Send a Private Message to Phil’s Barber Add Phil’s Barber as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

I think the suggestion that we cut our losses (whatever those are) are a bit premature.

Nobody knows how long Eze will take to get back to full fitness. Aside from Gallagher he remains our only serious goal threat not forgetting the chances he recently put on a plate for Edouard and Benteke.

A few weeks ago he got the goals that gave us back to back wins against City and Wolves.

Fair enough but countless people on here said that we just HAD to retain Roy Hodgson as he was the only person who could keep us in the Premier League.

I genuinely believe he is now doing us more harm than good and persisting with him is holding us back in terms of finding an out and out replacement.

His best position for us currently probably is up front, all the while we persist with him on the left we are going to see more and more performances like yesterday.

Something is very wrong with him and I like so many others are just sick to death of it. Enough is enough…his pathetic attitude, awful performance and actions yesterday whilst on a yellow was almost as if he was totally disinterested and trying to get himself sent off. The bloke is the top earner at our club by a country mile and he is literally worth a third of what he is currently being paid.

As somebody else said earlier, Ferguson had this fantastic knack of knowing when to try something new with someone and when to simply move them on. I’d actually be relieved if someone took him off us in January.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View hythemaceagle's Profile hythemaceagle Flag Hythe Kent 27 Dec 21 12.19pm Send a Private Message to hythemaceagle Add hythemaceagle as a friend

Football is a team game, but I’m afraid to say that WZ is no longer a team player. The show of petulance yesterday was just mind boggling, and the Red Card was totally predictable. He gives little or nothing to CPFC anymore. He’s over the hill in my opinion, and deep down he knows it.
So, I think he should man up for once, grow a pair, buy himself out of his contract, and go find a club that will tolerate his moronic antics and pay him the crazy amount of wages that he’s on now. This player has completely gone down in my estimations and I would be delighted to see him walk. I would imagine that PV was disgusted with him yesterday.
Rant over!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 27 Dec 21 12.23pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by MR100%

Last few games Wilf has looked totally unsettled, hasn't beaten anyone or really tried to take anyone on,and, whilst the first incident today didn't warrant a booking, he must realise that he can't behave as he did, particularly, as Moss clearly doesn't like him

Going off to the African Nations Cup may help him ,but also help Viera understand what our best team is without him

Trouble is our best team without him is currently isolating!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View A89M's Profile A89M Flag Streatham 27 Dec 21 12.23pm Send a Private Message to A89M Add A89M as a friend

There's no loyalty in football eh..

May I remind everyone that Wilf is still our second top goalscorer this season behind the phenomenon that is Conor Gallagher. Wilf may not be the winger who takes players on anymore but he is still the most impactful player that is under contract by Crystal Palace. Take CG away next season and Wilf is back to being our best.

Rewind back to the home game against Spurs and you'll see Wilf do the very same thing he did yesterday, he stayed on the pitch and he went on to play a huge part in winning us the game.

His theatrics are what makes him the player he is, he gets worked up and seems to play better, we've all seen this work in our favour in many games, unfortunately it did not yesterday, that's football. That's 2 reds in 262 PL games, where he's been kicked from pillar to post.. Get a grip guys..

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 27 Dec 21 12.28pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by Phil’s Barber

Fair enough but countless people on here said that we just HAD to retain Roy Hodgson as he was the only person who could keep us in the Premier League.

I genuinely believe he is now doing us more harm than good and persisting with him is holding us back in terms of finding an out and out replacement.

His best position for us currently probably is up front, all the while we persist with him on the left we are going to see more and more performances like yesterday.

Something is very wrong with him and I like so many others are just sick to death of it. Enough is enough…his pathetic attitude, awful performance and actions yesterday whilst on a yellow was almost as if he was totally disinterested and trying to get himself sent off. The bloke is the top earner at our club by a country mile and he is literally worth a third of what he is currently being paid.

As somebody else said earlier, Ferguson had this fantastic knack of knowing when to try something new with someone and when to simply move them on. I’d actually be relieved if someone took him off us in January.

One for the club psychologist. All I know is that a narcissist likes to be the centre of attention, and at one stage in Zaha's Palace career he was just that, so much so that he got ahead of himself and erroneously thought he was Champions League material.
The end line is he requested a transfer and we should have let him go then while the going was good.
As a contrast watch Saka's performance for Arsenal - team player, scores goals, got a few tricks in his locker, good alround attitude.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 27 Dec 21 12.33pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

One for the club psychologist. All I know is that a narcissist likes to be the centre of attention, and at one stage in Zaha's Palace career he was just that, so much so that he got ahead of himself and erroneously thought he was Champions League material.
The end line is he requested a transfer and we should have let him go then while the going was good.
As a contrast watch Saka's performance for Arsenal - team player, scores goals, got a few tricks in his locker, good alround attitude.

Raised through Arsenal's and England's youth system that NOW breeds grounding. No prima donnas. Zaha, on the other hand, was a child with posters of him all over South London saying "he's just to good for you".

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 27 Dec 21 2.04pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by A89M

There's no loyalty in football eh..

May I remind everyone that Wilf is still our second top goalscorer this season behind the phenomenon that is Conor Gallagher. Wilf may not be the winger who takes players on anymore but he is still the most impactful player that is under contract by Crystal Palace. Take CG away next season and Wilf is back to being our best.

Rewind back to the home game against Spurs and you'll see Wilf do the very same thing he did yesterday, he stayed on the pitch and he went on to play a huge part in winning us the game.

His theatrics are what makes him the player he is, he gets worked up and seems to play better, we've all seen this work in our favour in many games, unfortunately it did not yesterday, that's football. That's 2 reds in 262 PL games, where he's been kicked from pillar to post.. Get a grip guys..

You are in a small crowd of cheerleaders here. Sorry, but his theatrics are a benefit to neither himself or his team. He needs to sort himself out or go.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 27 Dec 21 2.09pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Originally posted by Phil’s Barber

Fair enough but countless people on here said that we just HAD to retain Roy Hodgson as he was the only person who could keep us in the Premier League.

I genuinely believe he is now doing us more harm than good and persisting with him is holding us back in terms of finding an out and out replacement.

His best position for us currently probably is up front, all the while we persist with him on the left we are going to see more and more performances like yesterday.

Something is very wrong with him and I like so many others are just sick to death of it. Enough is enough…his pathetic attitude, awful performance and actions yesterday whilst on a yellow was almost as if he was totally disinterested and trying to get himself sent off. The bloke is the top earner at our club by a country mile and he is literally worth a third of what he is currently being paid.

As somebody else said earlier, Ferguson had this fantastic knack of knowing when to try something new with someone and when to simply move them on. I’d actually be relieved if someone took him off us in January.

I don't intend to re-ignite the Roy debate but I don't recall anyone saying we had to keep him to stay in the division.

Anyway Zaha has been on the way down for a while IMO but the bar was high and that doesn't stop him from being an asset to the team. I suspect this and his failure to have got the big move move may be at the root of his frustration.

I agree that he looks more effective as an inside forward and his performances this season have been inconsistent but comparisons with Ferguson and Man Utds ability to source replacements are nonsense to be honest.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Phil’s Barber's Profile Phil’s Barber Online Flag Crowborough 27 Dec 21 2.44pm Send a Private Message to Phil’s Barber Add Phil’s Barber as a friend

No comparison whatsoever with Ferguson’s / United ability to source replacements. If you re-read my post it was about his uncanny knack to spot when someone needed moving on, that’s all.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Phil’s Barber's Profile Phil’s Barber Online Flag Crowborough 27 Dec 21 2.47pm Send a Private Message to Phil’s Barber Add Phil’s Barber as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

I don't intend to re-ignite the Roy debate but I don't recall anyone saying we had to keep him to stay in the division.

Anyway Zaha has been on the way down for a while IMO but the bar was high and that doesn't stop him from being an asset to the team. I suspect this and his failure to have got the big move move may be at the root of his frustration.

I agree that he looks more effective as an inside forward and his performances this season have been inconsistent but comparisons with Ferguson and Man Utds ability to source replacements are nonsense to be honest.

He got his big move, he went to Man Utd for heavens sake!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pete53's Profile Pete53 Flag Hassocks 27 Dec 21 3.09pm Send a Private Message to Pete53 Add Pete53 as a friend

Earlier in the season I thought we were seeing a new Wilf as for a few games he gave off a positive attitude and looked really up for it. He now seems to have reverted to type, and, temperament wise, it is hard to see him changing his ways at this stage of his career.

A couple of other points ... we often talk as if there was some heyday when Wilf was constantly on top of his game. In truth I don't think he has ever been reliably consistent. If one was to plough back through the history of Wilf threads, in amongst the eulogies, I suspect you'd also find plenty of debate about his temperament, application and lack of contribution in certain games.

I definitely recall a time when a lot of posters were of the opinion that Yannick Bolasie was the better player.

There have of course been plenty of magic moments from Wilf and this makes it easy to forget his downtime. And, statistics do suggest that we have struggled to win games without him in the side. So, I am not damning the fella, but just trying to keep hold of reality and remember that some of the criticisms we are throwing in his direction now are anything but new.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 28 Dec 21 1.20am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend


in the recent past, our statistics for wins were starkly different a) with zaha and b) without.


football is constantly putting theories to the test. We will beat Norwich...... but lets keep an open mind for games thereafter.

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Wilf