You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Nottingham Forest vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread
November 27 2022 3.44pm

Nottingham Forest vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 15 of 16 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 15 Nov 22 5.07pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

TBF NEILLO, I was thinking the same thing as far as it being a 'car crash', although that's not the wording I'd of opted for.

A game against a team almost literally thrown together in the summer, bottom of the table, conceding goals for fun, a club newly promoted, having 0 shots on target despite a penalty, 69% possession, being dominated in midfield by a player we deemed surplus to requirements and just a subjective opinion but awful, gutless display.

It's not a dismissing of Vieira but a criticism that's for sure. For all the good he still has a lot to learn and that was one of the worst Palace performances I've seen for a while, quite probably only equalled by Newcastle days earlier (We missed 4 penalties in as many days in case it's not been mentioned).

IMHO for some clubs, including NF, the WC coming now is even worse news. For us I think it is a God send.

Well I saw the game, and after Zaha missed I thought we would go on to lose it.

Now I agree that we shouldn't be turning in that kind of performance just days after beating West Ham, but I'm not sure how the manager can coach the players into being consistent - which is our main issue. I applaud the selection of Zaha, Eze and Olise in the same team but when they aren't firing on all cylinders then we struggle.

As I put it to someone the other day, if we had drawn at West Ham and against Forest, I question if there would be so much negativity about even though we would be a point worse off.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 15 Nov 22 5.20pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

TBF NEILLO, I was thinking the same thing as far as it being a 'car crash', although that's not the wording I'd of opted for.

A game against a team almost literally thrown together in the summer, bottom of the table, conceding goals for fun, a club newly promoted, having 0 shots on target despite a penalty, 69% possession, being dominated in midfield by a player we deemed surplus to requirements and just a subjective opinion but awful, gutless display.

It's not a dismissing of Vieira but a criticism that's for sure. For all the good he still has a lot to learn and that was one of the worst Palace performances I've seen for a while, quite probably only equalled by Newcastle days earlier (We missed 4 penalties in as many days in case it's not been mentioned).

IMHO for some clubs, including NF, the WC coming now is even worse news. For us I think it is a God send.

I agree it was a pretty terrible performance and especially away from home this is more the norm these days - Everton and Leicester spring to mind.

Forest played quite deep so Wilf upfront was pointless, he wasn't given the space to run behind, unlike say Liverpool where the tactic worked well.

For me i need more from the flair players - Eze and Olise. Both were pretty invisible.

Schlupp is just not a CM , he was awful.

After Forest scored they just put men behind the play and defended for their lives - we looked pretty clueless that last 20 minutes or so.

So all in all a bit of a wake up call for everyone connected with the club - players, managers and supporters (well those who think we might be a top 6 contender).

Now we have a 6 week break PV needs to use this time well.

Give the players a decent break - Mitchell, Guehi and Eze etc have played a lot of football and will benefit from a rest.

Get Macca and maybe Fergie fit.

Look at a younger, mobile defensive midfielder as a priority.

Don't panic. We have 19 points from 14 games - better than i thought we'd have and especially when you consider we are not gelling as a team yet.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 15 Nov 22 5.46pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

Well I saw the game, and after Zaha missed I thought we would go on to lose it.

Now I agree that we shouldn't be turning in that kind of performance just days after beating West Ham, but I'm not sure how the manager can coach the players into being consistent - which is our main issue. I applaud the selection of Zaha, Eze and Olise in the same team but when they aren't firing on all cylinders then we struggle.

As I put it to someone the other day, if we had drawn at West Ham and against Forest, I question if there would be so much negativity about even though we would be a point worse off.

They were in the wrong Positions, can't you get that, PV had one of his away with the fairy's moments

 



Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 15 Nov 22 5.54pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

They were in the wrong Positions, can't you get that, PV had one of his away with the fairy's moments

There you go again - it's all PV's doing.

The same three performed the week before at West Ham.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 15 Nov 22 6.06pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

There you go again - it's all PV's doing.

The same three performed the week before at West Ham.

That was PV'S fault as well.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 15 Nov 22 6.24pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

Well I saw the game, and after Zaha missed I thought we would go on to lose it.

Now I agree that we shouldn't be turning in that kind of performance just days after beating West Ham, but I'm not sure how the manager can coach the players into being consistent - which is our main issue. I applaud the selection of Zaha, Eze and Olise in the same team but when they aren't firing on all cylinders then we struggle.

As I put it to someone the other day, if we had drawn at West Ham and against Forest, I question if there would be so much negativity about even though we would be a point worse off.

You are probably right with your final paragraph. But for me the issue is (and has ALWAYS been) about performance and effort. I don't care if Palace are bottom of the 4th division (or whatever it's called now) provided the players play with effort, pride and passion; that they give their all for the team regardless of ability. To see a bunch of overpaid footballers playing like they couldn't care less is really galling.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 15 Nov 22 7.50pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

There you go again - it's all PV's doing.

The same three performed the week before at West Ham.

Of cause it's his fault, he organizes the team, he motivates them, he makes tactical changes, whose fault is it then, Parish, freedman, PV is for me unproven, i hope he has what it takes, but he isn't above criticism.

 



Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 15 Nov 22 8.01pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by YT

You are probably right with your final paragraph. But for me the issue is (and has ALWAYS been) about performance and effort. I don't care if Palace are bottom of the 4th division (or whatever it's called now) provided the players play with effort, pride and passion; that they give their all for the team regardless of ability. To see a bunch of overpaid footballers playing like they couldn't care less is really galling.

Absolutely agree.

Equally, seeing someone or a team ‘give it their all’ and lose can be concerning but far less so than a team that looks resentful of travelling let alone the audacity to be asked to play football.

I’m not saying that’s the case at all but it certainly feels like that and for clarity I went to Newcastle and streamed the Forest game. I have no doubt that we’re the latter at home, we’d of won. That’s what irks!

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 18 Nov 22 12.16pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Zaha isn't the reason the team is unbalanced - PV was clear after the game that we must recruit in Jan - we not only lost Gallagher in the summer but Kouyate as well - apart from Doucoure the rest of our midfielders are either not good enough or not midfielders - we need at least one link player in the middle, PV can't keep tweaking it forever, the options run out after a while. Our first choice midfield is currently Doucoure, Eze and Schlupp - since Doucoure has started to adapt this trio has worked well in some games, but they did not play as a unit at Leicester, and were out done at Forest, we need a Jimmy Mac/Gallagher replacement as a top priority, more than striker or full back even.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 18 Nov 22 12.26pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

Zaha isn't the reason the team is unbalanced - PV was clear after the game that we must recruit in Jan - we not only lost Gallagher in the summer but Kouyate as well - apart from Doucoure the rest of our midfielders are either not good enough or not midfielders - we need at least one link player in the middle, PV can't keep tweaking it forever, the options run out after a while. Our first choice midfield is currently Doucoure, Eze and Schlupp - since Doucoure has started to adapt this trio has worked well in some games, but they did not play as a unit at Leicester, and were out done at Forest, we need a Jimmy Mac/Gallagher replacement as a top priority, more than striker or full back even.

I agree with you completely, but sorry for repeating myself, but it doesn't help when 5 of your 6 midfielders and forwards are playing out of position.

 



Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 18 Nov 22 5.11pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

I agree with you completely, but sorry for repeating myself, but it doesn't help when 5 of your 6 midfielders and forwards are playing out of position.

I dont understand your obsession with playing out of position. I watch all the games and players seem to move and interchange during the game.
Your other obsession with PV is strange, if he has lost two key midfielders, we seem to have more points after the same amount of games as last season. How has he done that?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 18 Nov 22 5.48pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Of cause it's his fault, he organizes the team, he motivates them, he makes tactical changes, whose fault is it then, Parish, freedman, PV is for me unproven, i hope he has what it takes, but he isn't above criticism.

Nobody is above criticism. Everybody makes mistakes.

I realise that it's only your opinion, but you must surely realise that PV has to use his resources in the best way he can. You clearly don't agree with how he does that. But until the team balance issue is addressed then I don't see anything changing.

PV is in only his second season as a manager in this league. So yes, he's unproven but also he's doing a solid job. Give him the right players and I think we can expect the club to continue to progress.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 15 of 16 < 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Nottingham Forest vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread