You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > That documentary
January 29 2023 6.51pm

That documentary

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

 

View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 08 Dec 22 2.28pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

What's funny is that no one on here will watch it.

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 08 Dec 22 4.56pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

What's funny is that no one on here will watch it.

What's sad is I actually had it on today ASCPFC. What's even worse is that I was influenced to watching watching it, including the discussion here! I say that, having naff all else to do today did play a big part but the contradiction of my previous stance has to be highlighted and laughed at.

I have to say, in light of an earlier post:

"Will this include Harry asking her opinion on travelling by rail leading to a mental breakdown?

Rail = Underground Railroad = Reference to slavery = OH MY GOD!!!! RACISM and RACIST ABUSE!! THE GREATEST TRAGEDY TO EVER BEFALL SOMEONE SO PRIVILEGED!!! THE WHOLE WORLD MUST KNOW!!! Oh and, you know, Meghan gets plenty of attention, perhaps some sort of social veneration, maybe a few murals that kind of thing. And of course money, LOADS O' MONEY!!!"

They do both come across quite well in it however I realise that may be the whole point. Her especially though, seems genuinely intelligent and pleasant for all appearances. I quite like her Mum too seems like a 'lovely lady' as I would ineloquently put it. The old man seems a w@nker conversely but again that may be how it is 'framed' so even if believable the pinch of salt is necessary.

The general tone of the third episode however is quite bizarre and unambiguous in it's intentions. The first two episodes start off well, it's quite nice and a semi-interesting insight, provided you have some interest of course. There is the odd reference to racism etc which is a bit 'eye-rolly' but seems at least somewhat relevant plus I think the context of being a white bloke in England has to play into my perception of it.

The third episode however does delve straight in, both feet, irritatingly badly. It's almost removed from the Royals and them as a couple albeit not entirely. Starts concentrating on 'Britain's role in the slave trade', racism in every possible aspect of life and through even the remotest interpretation of anything etc etc. It almost has a narrative entirely separate to that you would expect or which had been previously covered. It's cringingly awful in it's goal. You also start to get the 'Professors of poor me, lack of other identity, huge chip, is this even an area of academic study and if so why?' etc. etc. start piping up and commentating every two seconds.

My current thought is that the content and subjects of this 'documentary' are of little importance. The more I watched it the more I became aware of exactly what it is trying to achieve - just another platform to sensationalise and keep alive racial division. I did previously refer to it as 'self indulgent, narcissistic exercise in massaging egos, self-promotion and void filling in lieu of not having any real purpose in life'. I stand by that statement.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Frickin Saweet's Profile Frickin Saweet Flag South Cronx 08 Dec 22 4.58pm Send a Private Message to Frickin Saweet Add Frickin Saweet as a friend

read something along the lines of there being a general sentiment amongst the royal family that everyone goes through scrutiny in the media, so Harry's wife should expect no different. But Harry and her think it's different because there's a racial element. But where is this racial element? It's the same treatment as anyone else. Pretty sure most people thought she was caucasian before she started banging on about being black so I really think she's made all this nonsense up. No interest in watching it whatsoever.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 08 Dec 22 5.24pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Frickin Saweet

read something along the lines of there being a general sentiment amongst the royal family that everyone goes through scrutiny in the media, so Harry's wife should expect no different. But Harry and her think it's different because there's a racial element. But where is this racial element? It's the same treatment as anyone else. Pretty sure most people thought she was caucasian before she started banging on about being black so I really think she's made all this nonsense up. No interest in watching it whatsoever.

Yep, there's a lot of reference to Diana in it, a good lot actually.

Again, there's genuinely a good reference to how Meghan was portrayed and her ethnicity highlighted and sensationalised by the media which of course they would do with anything but yes very much did with her. You're right too in that she mentions most people always assumed she was Caucasian and it came across to me as a good exemplar of the lunacy and sensationalism of the media and perhaps how it feels to be on the end of that.

So the above has formed my 'opinion' or interpretation thus far that it is less so them, and others (charlatan 'academics', Netflix, long lost relatives etc) who are capitalising upon, distorting and seeking to profit from this. Whether Meghan herself has any role to play in it and Harry has ignorantly played along with for one reason or t'other, I know not however admittedly assumed that, ignorantly, beforehand.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 08 Dec 22 6.08pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

What's sad is I actually had it on today ASCPFC. What's even worse is that I was influenced to watching watching it, including the discussion here! I say that, having naff all else to do today did play a big part but the contradiction of my previous stance has to be highlighted and laughed at.

I have to say, in light of an earlier post:

"Will this include Harry asking her opinion on travelling by rail leading to a mental breakdown?

Rail = Underground Railroad = Reference to slavery = OH MY GOD!!!! RACISM and RACIST ABUSE!! THE GREATEST TRAGEDY TO EVER BEFALL SOMEONE SO PRIVILEGED!!! THE WHOLE WORLD MUST KNOW!!! Oh and, you know, Meghan gets plenty of attention, perhaps some sort of social veneration, maybe a few murals that kind of thing. And of course money, LOADS O' MONEY!!!"

They do both come across quite well in it however I realise that may be the whole point. Her especially though, seems genuinely intelligent and pleasant for all appearances. I quite like her Mum too seems like a 'lovely lady' as I would ineloquently put it. The old man seems a w@nker conversely but again that may be how it is 'framed' so even if believable the pinch of salt is necessary.

The general tone of the third episode however is quite bizarre and unambiguous in it's intentions. The first two episodes start off well, it's quite nice and a semi-interesting insight, provided you have some interest of course. There is the odd reference to racism etc which is a bit 'eye-rolly' but seems at least somewhat relevant plus I think the context of being a white bloke in England has to play into my perception of it.

The third episode however does delve straight in, both feet, irritatingly badly. It's almost removed from the Royals and them as a couple albeit not entirely. Starts concentrating on 'Britain's role in the slave trade', racism in every possible aspect of life and through even the remotest interpretation of anything etc etc. It almost has a narrative entirely separate to that you would expect or which had been previously covered. It's cringingly awful in it's goal. You also start to get the 'Professors of poor me, lack of other identity, huge chip, is this even an area of academic study and if so why?' etc. etc. start piping up and commentating every two seconds.

My current thought is that the content and subjects of this 'documentary' are of little importance. The more I watched it the more I became aware of exactly what it is trying to achieve - just another platform to sensationalise and keep alive racial division. I did previously refer to it as 'self indulgent, narcissistic exercise in massaging egos, self-promotion and void filling in lieu of not having any real purpose in life'. I stand by that statement.


It is a far, far better thing that you did than you've ever done before. A fine example of taking one for the team.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 08 Dec 22 6.12pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


It is a far, far better thing that you did than you've ever done before. A fine example of taking one for the team.

Indeed, it's not tempting me.

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 08 Dec 22 6.13pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


It is a far, far better thing that you did than you've ever done before. A fine example of taking one for the team.

Not quite sure how to interpret that Teddy!

To be clear, I very much had it on in the background whilst doing some work! I did fully tune in to it for snippets however was hardly there with popcorn, making notes, absorbing and analysing every second. So not the greatest of sources but did get through 3 episodes!

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 08 Dec 22 6.13pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

I bet most of us would swap our worldly goods, and give up everything, only to be paid vast amounts of money to take every opportunity to whinge and whine in the media about how awful it is to have so much money.

Edited by Forest Hillbilly (18 Dec 2022 5.39am)

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 08 Dec 22 6.17pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

There's more chance of me winning WE's favourite poster of the year award than of me ever watching that nob waffle fest.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 08 Dec 22 6.18pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

Not quite sure how to interpret that Teddy!

To be clear, I very much had it on in the background whilst doing some work! I did fully tune in to it for snippets however was hardly there with popcorn, making notes, absorbing and analysing every second. So not the greatest of sources but did get through 3 episodes!

Have no doubt - it was a compliment.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 08 Dec 22 6.35pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

There's more chance of me winning WE's favourite poster of the year award than of me ever watching that nob waffle fest.

Maybe he's got your poster on his wall in between 'Farah Fawcett-Majors' and 'the tennis girl'.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 08 Dec 22 6.45pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by YT

Maybe he's got your poster on his wall in between 'Farah Fawcett-Majors' and 'the tennis girl'.

As long as he's looking at her arse and not mine.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > That documentary