You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Woman arrested for silent prayer, god save us
February 8 2023 8.22am

Woman arrested for silent prayer, god save us

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 34 of 35 < 30 31 32 33 34 35 >

 

View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 02 Jan 23 8.09pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

Did you picket the house with a pitchfork and burning torch?

Not my style, I’ve got better things to do.

I can though imagine the bunch of regressive who populate these pages to be keen on the tactics.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 03 Jan 23 8.55am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

This may explain the previous post...


The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognise their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their own abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.

 


Responsibility Deficit Disorder is a medical condition. Symptoms include inability to be corrected when wrong, false sense of superiority, desire to share personal info no else cares about, general hubris. It's a medical issue rather than pure arrogance.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View berlinpalace's Profile berlinpalace Flag berlin 03 Jan 23 9.21am Send a Private Message to berlinpalace Add berlinpalace as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

Did you picket the house with a pitchfork and burning torch?


Burning torches? You mean like these devout kkkhristians? Haha
[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pembroke's Profile Pembroke Flag Bristol 03 Jan 23 11.04am Send a Private Message to Pembroke Add Pembroke as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Could you explain that again as I don't understand the point you are making. Are you working in the provision of mental health and disability services?

Yes I work in mental health and disability services and we can legally discrimnate against people based on sex for instance - Services can be sex based, individuals have a right to single sex spaces, same sex carers and on.

Legal discrimination is part of the 2010 equlaities act.

Edited by Pembroke (03 Jan 2023 11.05am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 03 Jan 23 11.19am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Pembroke

Yes I work in mental health and disability services and we can legally discrimnate against people based on sex for instance - Services can be sex based, individuals have a right to single sex spaces, same sex carers and on.

Legal discrimination is part of the 2010 equlaities act.

Edited by Pembroke (03 Jan 2023 11.05am)

.

I believe another poster explained the likely reasoning behind that. Exceptions are generally necessary when rights collide.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 03 Jan 23 11.44am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

This may explain the previous post...


The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognise their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their own abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.

This explains the above post….

Ad hominem attacks occur when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument. The fallacious attack can also be direct to membership in a group or institution.

It is frequently used by those incapable of providing intelligent responses and those whose arguments have been defeated. .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 03 Jan 23 12.22pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

This explains the above post….

Ad hominem attacks occur when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument. The fallacious attack can also be direct to membership in a group or institution.

It is frequently used by those incapable of providing intelligent responses and those whose arguments have been defeated. .

How many times do I have to say... It's THREE dots.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 03 Jan 23 12.40pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

How many times do I have to say... It's THREE dots.


Merriam Webster aren't as hardcore on the issue...(.)

Ellipsis points are periods in groups of usually three, or sometimes four.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 03 Jan 23 12.45pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Merriam Webster aren't as hardcore on the issue...(.)

Ellipsis points are periods in groups of usually three, or sometimes four.

Thank you Teddy

In any case WE used two, so that simply won't do

As a matter of interest, others ARE hardcore on the topic, for example The Chicago Manual of Style, GrammarBook.com and The Punctuation Guide...

[Link]

Edited by Mapletree (03 Jan 2023 12.52pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 03 Jan 23 12.50pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

How many times do I have to say... It's THREE dots.

Sorry. As has been reported I am an unskilled person who reaches erroneous decisions. You could say I am just a bit dotty.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 03 Jan 23 12.54pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Thank you Teddy

In any case WE used two, so that simply won't do

When you're right, you're right. Standards must be maintained before things descend into total anarchy. From ellipsis to dystopian nightmare in a single step. God forbid anyone should misuse a semi-colon and as for the interrobang ... too frightening to contemplate.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 03 Jan 23 12.58pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Thank you Teddy

In any case WE used two, so that simply won't do

As a matter of interest, others ARE hardcore on the topic, for example The Chicago Manual of Style, GrammarBook.com and The Punctuation Guide...

[Link]

Edited by Mapletree (03 Jan 2023 12.52pm)

What's the definition of one as inflexible on the issue? Dotard?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 34 of 35 < 30 31 32 33 34 35 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Woman arrested for silent prayer, god save us