You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Midfield
February 5 2023 1.13pm

Midfield

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

 

View Rogers Don's Profile Rogers Don Flag Horsham 13 Jan 23 10.09am Send a Private Message to Rogers Don Add Rogers Don as a friend

In view of McArthur seemingly out of the equation, why aren't we trying to strengthen the midfield? Doucoure is great and had more freedom with Hughes in there, but we need a playmaker in there. Eze is class but only shows brief moments of what he can bring. He is more of a no.10 and Olise is a winger. Southampton have just signed an Argentinian midfielder while all we seem interested in is strikers and wingers.


 


Let's keep the ball this season!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 13 Jan 23 10.13am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

It would be nice if we had one

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 13 Jan 23 11.12am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Rogers Don

why aren't we trying to strengthen the midfield?

Southampton have just signed an Argentinian midfielder while all we seem interested in is strikers and wingers.


Hopefully we are as almost every Palace supporter will tell you that midfield is where our major problems lie. Equally hopefully Parish isn't pinning all of his hopes on getting Conor Gallagher as that is unlikely to happen.

On your second point, are we trying to sign a striker or is that just agent and media talk?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 13 Jan 23 11.23am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Hopefully we are as almost every Palace supporter will tell you that midfield is where our major problems lie. Equally hopefully Parish isn't pinning all of his hopes on getting Conor Gallagher as that is unlikely to happen.

On your second point, are we trying to sign a striker or is that just agent and media talk?

Perhaps 'every player we are linked to or rumoured to be interested in is a striker' would be more fitting.

Given media sensationalism and what have you, perhaps this is as strikers are more exciting stories or tales to peddle? All hypothetical from me of course.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Crystal_Clear's Profile Crystal_Clear Flag Belfast 13 Jan 23 12.06pm Send a Private Message to Crystal_Clear Add Crystal_Clear as a friend

Originally posted by Rogers Don

In view of McArthur seemingly out of the equation, why aren't we trying to strengthen the midfield? Doucoure is great and had more freedom with Hughes in there, but we need a playmaker in there. Eze is class but only shows brief moments of what he can bring. He is more of a no.10 and Olise is a winger. Southampton have just signed an Argentinian midfielder while all we seem interested in is strikers and wingers.


I would qualify that we actually need more decent central midfielders. Eze doesn't influence the game as much as he should. I think he will end up in Wilf's left wing slot.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 13 Jan 23 1.54pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

We need to offload Milivojevic, Reidewald (both not suitable for this league any more) and McArthur (fitness reasons only). We are so desperately short of quality in the central midfield area, that two quality replacements are needed now.

Wide midfield we have 4 players who can slot in so no worries there. If money is the problem we need to consider selling Eze or Olise. We would make a tidy profit on either of these, perhaps enough to fill the gaps in central midfield.

I have to say that getting shot of Kouyate was very short sighted in the short term more particularly as he provided central defender cover.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 13 Jan 23 2.01pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

We need to offload Milivojevic, Reidewald (both not suitable for this league any more) and McArthur (fitness reasons only). We are so desperately short of quality in the central midfield area, that two quality replacements are needed now.

Wide midfield we have 4 players who can slot in so no worries there. If money is the problem we need to consider selling Eze or Olise. We would make a tidy profit on either of these, perhaps enough to fill the gaps in central midfield.

I have to say that getting shot of Kouyate was very short sighted in the short term more particularly as he provided central defender cover.

With respect he wasn't showed the door.
The club offered him a 1 year extension but Kouyate wanted a 2 year contract and no deal was reached.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 13 Jan 23 2.59pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

With respect he wasn't showed the door.
The club offered him a 1 year extension but Kouyate wanted a 2 year contract and no deal was reached.

Willo I know exactly what the deal was. It was short sighted for not giving him the two years he wanted.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sydtheeagle's Profile sydtheeagle Flag England 13 Jan 23 4.03pm Send a Private Message to sydtheeagle Add sydtheeagle as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

With respect he wasn't showed the door.
The club offered him a 1 year extension but Kouyate wanted a 2 year contract and no deal was reached.

I disagree. To all intents and purposes, he was shown the door, if not explicitly then the refusal to negotiate his not unreasonable demand for a two-year deal amounted to much the same thing.

Not offering Kouyate two years was one of the worst decisions the club has made in a very long time. We lost our entire starting central midfield (Kouyate and Gallagher) at the same time last May, yet we only replaced half of it. We thought Schlupp would be a cheap solution to the other half. That's worked out well, hasn't it?

Doucoure is a very good signing who will improve with time, but he'd have been vastly more effective this season with Kouyate beside him. Had Cheik still been here, Doucoure would have been freer to push forward and use the more attacking skills he clearly has, but which presently aren't really being tapped because he's cast in a defense-first-sitting role.

As I said, the club screwed up big time first letting Kouyate leave and then, to add insult to injury, failing to replace him adequately. We need to do that now, urgently (find a partner for Doucoure in central midfield). As far as I can tell, the only person who's ever got anything good out of a window at Palace is Alan Pardew, and that's only because his trade is cleaning the damn things.

 


Sydenham by birth. Selhurst by the Grace of God.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 13 Jan 23 4.09pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

'We lack height in defence' - PV.

Really Patrick how can that be?

Kouyate is 6.4".

How many such players are available and how much would it cost to buy one?

Answer a damn sight more.



 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 13 Jan 23 4.19pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by sydtheeagle

I disagree. To all intents and purposes, he was shown the door, if not explicitly then the refusal to negotiate his not unreasonable demand for a two-year deal amounted to much the same thing.

Not offering Kouyate two years was one of the worst decisions the club has made in a very long time. We lost our entire starting central midfield (Kouyate and Gallagher) at the same time last May, yet we only replaced half of it. We thought Schlupp would be a cheap solution to the other half. That's worked out well, hasn't it?

Doucoure is a very good signing who will improve with time, but he'd have been vastly more effective this season with Kouyate beside him. Had Cheik still been here, Doucoure would have been freer to push forward and use the more attacking skills he clearly has, but which presently aren't really being tapped because he's cast in a defense-first-sitting role.

As I said, the club screwed up big time first letting Kouyate leave and then, to add insult to injury, failing to replace him adequately. We need to do that now, urgently (find a partner for Doucoure in central midfield). As far as I can tell, the only person who's ever got anything good out of a window at Palace is Alan Pardew, and that's only because his trade is cleaning the damn things.

With respect, the club never expressed the sentiments that he was surplus to requirements and shown the door.
The club wanted to retain his services but on a 1 year contract.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 13 Jan 23 4.31pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by sydtheeagle

I disagree. To all intents and purposes, he was shown the door, if not explicitly then the refusal to negotiate his not unreasonable demand for a two-year deal amounted to much the same thing.

Not offering Kouyate two years was one of the worst decisions the club has made in a very long time. We lost our entire starting central midfield (Kouyate and Gallagher) at the same time last May, yet we only replaced half of it. We thought Schlupp would be a cheap solution to the other half. That's worked out well, hasn't it?

Doucoure is a very good signing who will improve with time, but he'd have been vastly more effective this season with Kouyate beside him. Had Cheik still been here, Doucoure would have been freer to push forward and use the more attacking skills he clearly has, but which presently aren't really being tapped because he's cast in a defense-first-sitting role.

As I said, the club screwed up big time first letting Kouyate leave and then, to add insult to injury, failing to replace him adequately. We need to do that now, urgently (find a partner for Doucoure in central midfield). As far as I can tell, the only person who's ever got anything good out of a window at Palace is Alan Pardew, and that's only because his trade is cleaning the damn things.

Class!

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Transfer Talk > Midfield