You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Council tax
March 27 2023 11.40pm

Council tax

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 16 Feb 23 1.32pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Tbh you should re read your posts if you donít know. The bit where you mention factors. This point happens to be one of them. Employing people to hit quotas regardless of whether they can do the job, then maybe not considering replacing them during the legal probationary period with some one who can do the job regardless of the minority/diversity etc mould. in plain English this is clearly a FACTOR, your word, which has put Croydon council where it is. Not the only one granted but spending your constituents money in a sensible way, whether on wages for useless employees or renaming streets should be at least a consideration. Does that join the dots for you ?


Firstly I totally agree that there are multiple factors (or FACTORS?) rather than just one cause here so great.

What needs a bit more qualification is how big a factor this is Ė you're suggesting its a 'big enough elephant' whatever that means. Significant contributing factor, let's say, in your opinion.

Can you qualify that? Did you use to work there, reference a report... just helps tip it away from I think it's this and I hate diversity quotas therefore it is (personally not a massive fan of positive discrimination myself) into more credible territory.

If there's evidence of this being the single most important criteria when hiring people within the council please do share. Because I'd be surprised, and I think this would break quite a few employment and discrimination laws. It would also be obviously disadvantaging managers hiring to the point where it would become silly.

I would imagine there are diversity guidelines and quotas to aim for when hiring, but I'd be extremely surprised if those were 100% of the workforce and hire at all costs, regardless of ability. I do know that these quotas are there to try and counteract bias in the hiring process, but it's not a requirement to hire someone of a minority background if there are no good candidates for that role (I know a bit about HR and recruitment from experience).

I would also be extremely surprised if said diversity guidelines have meant that everyone that is incompetent or underperforming in their roles at the council are doing so because of those guidelines. I'm pretty sure that non-diversity candidates are doing an excellent job of being rubbish at their jobs. In fact this is already proven out by the likes of Newman, Negrini etc. Plus, isn't Croydon one of the most ethnically diverse boroughs anyway? Would it not be the case that this is then reflected in the makeup of the council employees?

Also the last bit about 'spending in a sensible way/wages for useless employees' etc. Agreed, but are you also trying to suggest diversity quotas are the only reason behind not spending money a sensible way?

With a bit more qualification it could well be one of the factors, but it sure sounds like it's a lesser one and certainly not a 'big elephant'. Happy to read more factually referenced counter arguments to the contrary though.

It almost sounds like ideological backdoor rightspeak polluting what could be a balanced debate by attempting to place more weighting on diversity being the major cause (and therefore by extension immigration, minorities etc.) But I'm probably wrong.

Also a reminder, correlation does not imply causation. Just because someone who cold be considered to be from a minority background is s*** at their job, it doesn't mean ALL people of similar backgrounds are. People are just s*** at their jobs, regardless. But maybe that wouldn't fit neatly with the predetermined narrative?

Edited by SW19 CPFC (16 Feb 2023 1.33pm)

Edited by SW19 CPFC (16 Feb 2023 1.34pm)

 


oh contrare, said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 98% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 16 Feb 23 1.36pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

You take the level up and I'll bring it down but fair enough let's all play by your rules.

Do what you want, it's an open forum

Just don't start whining when you get called out for poorly crafted attempts at wit or antagonism

Edited by SW19 CPFC (16 Feb 2023 1.36pm)

 


oh contrare, said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 98% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 16 Feb 23 1.50pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

Do what you want, it's an open forum

Just don't start whining when you get called out for poorly crafted attempts at wit or antagonism

Edited by SW19 CPFC (16 Feb 2023 1.36pm)


Phew. That's a load off even though being "called out" on a football site is obviously an intolerably heavy burden to carry I'll try to endure in silence.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 16 Feb 23 2.02pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC


Firstly I totally agree that there are multiple factors (or FACTORS?) rather than just one cause here so great.

What needs a bit more qualification is how big a factor this is Ė you're suggesting its a 'big enough elephant' whatever that means. Significant contributing factor, let's say, in your opinion.

Can you qualify that? Did you use to work there, reference a report... just helps tip it away from I think it's this and I hate diversity quotas therefore it is (personally not a massive fan of positive discrimination myself) into more credible territory.

If there's evidence of this being the single most important criteria when hiring people within the council please do share. Because I'd be surprised, and I think this would break quite a few employment and discrimination laws. It would also be obviously disadvantaging managers hiring to the point where it would become silly.

I would imagine there are diversity guidelines and quotas to aim for when hiring, but I'd be extremely surprised if those were 100% of the workforce and hire at all costs, regardless of ability. I do know that these quotas are there to try and counteract bias in the hiring process, but it's not a requirement to hire someone of a minority background if there are no good candidates for that role (I know a bit about HR and recruitment from experience).

I would also be extremely surprised if said diversity guidelines have meant that everyone that is incompetent or underperforming in their roles at the council are doing so because of those guidelines. I'm pretty sure that non-diversity candidates are doing an excellent job of being rubbish at their jobs. In fact this is already proven out by the likes of Newman, Negrini etc. Plus, isn't Croydon one of the most ethnically diverse boroughs anyway? Would it not be the case that this is then reflected in the makeup of the council employees?

Also the last bit about 'spending in a sensible way/wages for useless employees' etc. Agreed, but are you also trying to suggest diversity quotas are the only reason behind not spending money a sensible way?

With a bit more qualification it could well be one of the factors, but it sure sounds like it's a lesser one and certainly not a 'big elephant'. Happy to read more factually referenced counter arguments to the contrary though.

It almost sounds like ideological backdoor rightspeak polluting what could be a balanced debate by attempting to place more weighting on diversity being the major cause (and therefore by extension immigration, minorities etc.) But I'm probably wrong.

Also a reminder, correlation does not imply causation. Just because someone who cold be considered to be from a minority background is s*** at their job, it doesn't mean ALL people of similar backgrounds are. People are just s*** at their jobs, regardless. But maybe that wouldn't fit neatly with the predetermined narrative?

Edited by SW19 CPFC (16 Feb 2023 1.33pm)

Edited by SW19 CPFC (16 Feb 2023 1.34pm)

Whoa wind back. Where have I said itís the biggest factor and where have I said itís all employees. Geez donít twist everything. If you look for reports on the failings itís mentioned as one of the wrong decisions the council has made/ implemented. No I canít show you before you throw that curved ball. Iím not totally against positive discrimination IF the candidate can do the job. Of course itís sensible to have say black employees looking after black clients etc. the client might feel more comfortable. Not in all cases but in some I would hazard a guess. This is one factor and probably quite a small one in and of itself wages wise but the knock on from a lack of experience and knowledge in the required field could create a multiple times loss financially.
Mighty oaks from tiny acorns springs to mind !!!

Edited by cryrst (16 Feb 2023 2.02pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 16 Feb 23 2.08pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Phew. That's a load off even though being "called out" on a football site is obviously an intolerably heavy burden to carry I'll try to endure in silence.

Sure

 


oh contrare, said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 98% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 16 Feb 23 2.13pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Whoa wind back. Where have I said itís the biggest factor and where have I said itís all employees. Geez donít twist everything. If you look for reports on the failings itís mentioned as one of the wrong decisions the council has made/ implemented. No I canít show you before you throw that curved ball. Iím not totally against positive discrimination IF the candidate can do the job. Of course itís sensible to have say black employees looking after black clients etc. the client might feel more comfortable. Not in all cases but in some I would hazard a guess. This is one factor and probably quite a small one in and of itself wages wise but the knock on from a lack of experience and knowledge in the required field could create a multiple times loss financially.
Mighty oaks from tiny acorns springs to mind !!!

Edited by cryrst (16 Feb 2023 2.02pm)

'Big elephant' implies you view it as a big factor...

I didn't say all employees, I was extending your hypothesis to its logical conclusion, that of diversity quotas = poor hires, poor hires = big contributing factor to current malaise, poor hires = disproportionally diversity hires.

in other words only diversity candidates are to blame, and a major contributing factor here (big elephant)

Feel free to dispute that analysis, but that's how you've put it across.

 


oh contrare, said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 98% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 16 Feb 23 2.35pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


Some information on Croydon's current situation.

[Link]

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 16 Feb 23 3.11pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Some information on Croydon's current situation.

[Link]

[Link]

Thanks. Seeing as I live here, I'm more than aware of the situation.

Bankruptcy and mismanagement already covered in my previous posts Ė certainly a major contributing factor. Must have been all those diversity hires

 


oh contrare, said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 98% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View crystal-purley's Profile crystal-purley Flag Purley 16 Feb 23 4.45pm Send a Private Message to crystal-purley Add crystal-purley as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

Soooo

I actually live in central Croydon, so unlike a lot of the posters on threads re. UK or Croydon centric affairs on here (some of whom don't even live in the UK) therefore I'll offer my more relevant view from the ground.

Objectively, I can also understand why a 15% raise has been proposed.

I don't think there is any other option at this point. I hardly think this raise has been decided upon without trying to find a viable alternative... such a massive hike so early in the mayors tenure is tantamount to career suicide. The alternative is massive cuts to core services and they've clearly decided that would be even worse.

However, Croydon has been chronically underfunded for years, when compared with other councils (per resident) considering its size and more importantly its role in taking the lions share of London centric immigration, whether that be through asylum or otherwise, compared with any other council.

If this had been appreciated and properly funded, there would be less of an issue Ė services would be able to keep pace. It is in fact the largest borough by population in London and has one of the fastest rates of population growth out of any London borough. It is the fall guy and should be adequately compensated as a result.

Instead, it is expected to take the population hit at the expense of other councils and its residents suffer as a result. Granted most boroughs have seen their funding reduced drastically since 2010, but Croydon has suffered more than most.

It is also worth noting that the debt pile of some £1.5bn is a legacy that dates back further than the previous Labour administration. I believe it was something in the region of £700m at the time Labour took over. It probably goes back even further than that. That's not to excuse how some of it has been fuelled by chronic mismanagement, but to suggest that it is all the fault of one term is simply not true. In fact, even if it had been managed properly throughout the labour tenure the debt pile would still have grown significantly due to the massive reduction in central funding and government treating it as a population dumping ground.

I have no issue with a growing population in this borough Ė it's the largest and has one of the most aggressive planning and building strategies in London, so it makes sense.

But it only works if it is reclassified and correctly funded in line with the role it plays (to the benefit of a lot of other boroughs) Ė and treated like the 'city within a city' that it actually is. Those other better funded councils should also start taking their share of the population growth burden.

This is clearly not something the government are prepared to do in the near term, hence the 15% increase. It's going to be debated on March 1 in the council meeting but I'm not sure anything is going to change, if they've decided things are so bad that the nuclear option is the only option I can't see them rowing it back. Residents voices will rightly be heard but a reduction won't be forthcoming.

So I understand the pushback, but it needs to happen. It's going to destroy a lot of people and that's not right... but the origins of this raise go a lot further back and spread a lot wider than the last council administration.

Edited by SW19 CPFC (15 Feb 2023 5.18pm)

I too live in Purley which is part of Croydon and I agree with what you say. I am not looking forward to a 15% increase but the other option is the Government putting their hands in their pockets and that will not happen.

 


Just retired and almost mastered decorating with the gardening slowly improving

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 16 Feb 23 6.00pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

'Big elephant' implies you view it as a big factor...

I didn't say all employees, I was extending your hypothesis to its logical conclusion, that of diversity quotas = poor hires, poor hires = big contributing factor to current malaise, poor hires = disproportionally diversity hires.

in other words only diversity candidates are to blame, and a major contributing factor here (big elephant)

Feel free to dispute that analysis, but that's how you've put it across.

Itís clear that you need new spectacles as your tunnel vision is quite bad !
You could have a fight if you were in a room on your own I reckon.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 16 Feb 23 6.10pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

Thanks. Seeing as I live here, I'm more than aware of the situation.

Bankruptcy and mismanagement already covered in my previous posts Ė certainly a major contributing factor. Must have been all those diversity hires

There is also the ongoing corruption investigation.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 16 Feb 23 6.23pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

Please do show me where my post was in any way related to backing Labour.

Constant spinning away from the subject and back into labour vs tories

It's not a great trait

'I don't care what has gone on in the past' I mean, says it all really. Utterly illogical

Where did I say or suggest that I was either a tory or labour supporter. You are the one with the party issues. I merely pointed out that the party in control are absolutely incompetent and couldnít understand how you could possibly support them in any way. It just so happens they are labour.

You talk about a lack of intelligence on here but you are the one who appears to have pigeon holed everyone into political parties. I couldnít give a damn which party they are in if they can resolve the problems.The current shambles in control clearly cannot.

I also fail to comprehend what you donít understand by ďI donít care what has gone on in the pastĒ (which was a nod to previous tenures of both parties). Itís a simple statement that those currently in office should be trying to turn it around not drive it further into the ground whilst blaming previous tenures for all their problems. Itís really not that difficult to understand.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Council tax