You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Next manager
March 3 2024 5.47am

Next manager

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 60 of 65 < 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 >

 

View Plaistow Eagle's Profile Plaistow Eagle Flag 24 Jan 24 8.57pm Send a Private Message to Plaistow Eagle Add Plaistow Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

It continues to baffle me that anyone thinks a different manager would get a noticeably better tune out of the same set of players. Thats better, rather than just different.

I'm sure if we appointed Roberto Martinez he would be determined to play a different brand of football, but that doesn't make the players any better, or any more suited to attacking or possession.

We have two ball-playing centre-backs and two talented creative attacking midfielders (or one or none quite often depending on injury). Otherwise, we have the same type of top-flight journeyman pros we have always had.

So, exactly whose 'potential' is being held back by Roy here?!

Is it Mateta? Is he secretly fast and skilful?

Or Ayew? Is he in fact able to take the ball on the turn and pass forward quickly and with quality instead of trying to win free-kicks?

Is it Ward, or Clyne? Are they just bursting to overlap to great effect but being restrained, not by ability and age, but by dastardly Roy?

Maybe it's Lerma, who in his very prime and available for free was of no interest whatsoever to the big clubs?

Or Hughes? Or Schlupp?!

We have the squad that we have, which is largely the best we can afford and attract.

We might get a tiny 'new manager bounce' if we made a change in the dugout now, although we might just as easily go into freefall. Most relegated clubs have two or three managers over the course of the season, as they thrash about in panic.

Do you know what that’s an amazing feat - you’ve managed to compile an entire post comparing and contrasting the pluses and minuses of Roy’s favoured “mediocre experienced players” without once mentioning the talent and potential available that he is currently ignoring - well done..!!

IMO - therein lies the whole issue - the blatant disregard of available talent and potential in favour of mediocre dross..!!

So in answer to your question - what would have another Manager done differently- err give a chance to the talent and potential available - just maybe..!!

COYP

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 24 Jan 24 9.05pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by Plaistow Eagle

Do you know what that’s an amazing feat - you’ve managed to compile an entire post comparing and contrasting the pluses and minuses of Roy’s favoured “mediocre experienced players” without once mentioning the talent and potential available that he is currently ignoring - well done..!!

IMO - therein lies the whole issue - the blatant disregard of available talent and potential in favour of mediocre dross..!!

So in answer to your question - what would have another Manager done differently- err give a chance to the talent and potential available - just maybe..!!

COYP

Like who, exactly?

And I did list the centre backs, Olise and Eze, by the way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 24 Jan 24 9.47pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Like who, exactly?

And I did list the centre backs, Olise and Eze, by the way.

Imray, Ozoh, Franca and Ahamada should all be starting above, Hughes, Schlupp, Clyne and Richards IMO

 


You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people. The key of joy is disobedience.

Aleister Crowley

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 24 Jan 24 11.26pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

I never thought I’d see the same post written about 50 different ways whilst still not acknowledging anyone else’s opinion. Well. I’ve seen it today. Jeez, this is a damn boring thread.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 25 Jan 24 6.01am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

Would make a good film - I have seen a few American sports movies that are not so dissimilar to the plot that you describe, at least the two months bounce, not so much standards dropping off after the target has been achieved, usually a cup win.

Originally posted by ASCPFC

I seem to remember it being called something like being Pardewed or the Pardew effect. He comes in, team has fun for a while. Then all standards go, everyone's playing cards and womanising and the team falls right off. Sounds vaguely familiar.
I guess, if there's any truth in this, appoint Pardew for a month or two - get the bounce, then don't wait for the end bit. Sack him regardless. A master plan - if totally ridiculous and unbelievable.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 25 Jan 24 10.29am Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

I never thought I’d see the same post written about 50 different ways whilst still not acknowledging anyone else’s opinion. Well. I’ve seen it today. Jeez, this is a damn boring thread.

I break down some of the posts to read, "Better the devil you know." That's about the extent of the argument. And yes, we know Roy. If last season's cameo is included, this the sixth season he's been in the hot seat.
This describes accurately the limits to Parish's ambition and the stark reality of attracting another manager of calibre.
My thoughts are that even though some are finding it difficult to let Roy go, he's going to go, one way or another, so be prepared.

Edited by southnorwoodhill (25 Jan 2024 10.31am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 25 Jan 24 11.16am Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

The problem is Roy wont play young players because the make mistakes, De Zerbi says that's why he plays them, to learn, its not as if Hughes, Schlupp, Clyne etc don't make mistakes, its a old persons view to a younger persons view, chalk and cheese

 


You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people. The key of joy is disobedience.

Aleister Crowley

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 25 Jan 24 11.23am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by eagleman13


Popovic is manager of Melbourne Victory in the A-League, sitting joint top after 13 games with 25 points. Crikey, I just did a 'Willo'

I read the post thinking that it was Willo until I came to the last line

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 25 Jan 24 11.24am Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

I read the post thinking that it was Willo until I came to the last line

 


I'm a blind man, i'm a blind man, now my room is cold,
When a blind man cries, Lord, he feels it from his soul.
[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 25 Jan 24 11.32am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

The problem is Roy wont play young players because the make mistakes, De Zerbi says that's why he plays them, to learn, its not as if Hughes, Schlupp, Clyne etc don't make mistakes, its a old persons view to a younger persons view, chalk and cheese

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Roy plays for 0-0 every game with the sole focus on the team keeping the opposition out and nothing but sheer blind hope that a goal goes in the other end. Hence without Wilf previously and Olsie/Eze now, we are almost incapable of creating anything and useless with set pieces.

Therefore, he likes players who are of such an (limited) ability, and at such a place in their careers, that they will dogmatically adhere to his instructions which typically revolves around nothing more than keeping shape.

Young players will want to express themselves and the freedom to do this, hence he has an aversion to playing them or at least until such time he has killed the inclination and spirit within them to do anything outside of his instruction.

I know that seems like a vicious attack on Roy, there may be some resentment in there, but I am merely providing an observational and somewhat informed commentary on his management style. It's not intended solely as a dig at him.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View the silurian's Profile the silurian Flag The garden of England.(not really) 25 Jan 24 11.41am Send a Private Message to the silurian Add the silurian as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

Our shortlist is probably made up of a few ex players. So Brighty/Dougie/Pardew/Southgate/ we all don't want - but what about say Popovic/Ismael? I wouldn't be totally against it. Popovic perhaps a bit unknown but Ismael (however you spell it sorry) - thinking about it he fits in with quite a bit for us. I'm sure there are others out there.

there must be managers out there who DIDNT play for Palace in the past? Just dont get the obsession with hiring ex players!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 25 Jan 24 12.25pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Roy plays for 0-0 every game with the sole focus on the team keeping the opposition out and nothing but sheer blind hope that a goal goes in the other end. Hence without Wilf previously and Olsie/Eze now, we are almost incapable of creating anything and useless with set pieces.

Therefore, he likes players who are of such an (limited) ability, and at such a place in their careers, that they will dogmatically adhere to his instructions which typically revolves around nothing more than keeping shape.

Young players will want to express themselves and the freedom to do this, hence he has an aversion to playing them or at least until such time he has killed the inclination and spirit within them to do anything outside of his instruction.

I know that seems like a vicious attack on Roy, there may be some resentment in there, but I am merely providing an observational and somewhat informed commentary on his management style. It's not intended solely as a dig at him.

Cant argue with that, its ingrained in him and Ray, if Roy stays and we dont bring a recognized premier league attack minded player in, its all on Olise and Eze, if they play 75% as a pair we stay up, if they don't we go down.

 


You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people. The key of joy is disobedience.

Aleister Crowley

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 60 of 65 < 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Next manager