You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Mateta
July 16 2024 2.07pm

Mateta

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

 

View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 16 Dec 23 8.01pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

Does anybody have a stat on Mateta’s longest run as first choice striker in the team?
I doubt it’s more than 3 or 4 games which seems unfair.
It would be easy to overact to today’s performance and last week’s v Liverpool, but I would like to see him given a run in the team.
Despite his size, he’s not going to win headers or even necessarily dominate central defenders.
But he’s an awkward customer and can finish.
Edouard is very unlikely to have provided a similar impact today.
Alternatively, am I being duped by another false dawn and he flatters to deceive through these occasional cameos?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View New Forest Eagle's Profile New Forest Eagle Flag Darlington 16 Dec 23 8.10pm Send a Private Message to New Forest Eagle Add New Forest Eagle as a friend

Mateta seems to have a tendency to turn it on just before the transfer window so we think we have a decent back up striker which results in us not signing anyone, but then he goes back to offering nothing and we all wish he had been replaced.
But credit where its due, he has contributed to our last 3 goals v Liverpool and Man City.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Robk's Profile Robk Flag 16 Dec 23 8.29pm Send a Private Message to Robk Add Robk as a friend

Mateta puts himself about a lot more the Edouard…he should definitely be given a long run in the side.. he basically got the two goals today…and the pen against Liverpool where he got himself in front of the defender…

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 16 Dec 23 8.38pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by New Forest Eagle

Mateta seems to have a tendency to turn it on just before the transfer window so we think we have a decent back up striker which results in us not signing anyone, but then he goes back to offering nothing and we all wish he had been replaced.
But credit where its due, he has contributed to our last 3 goals v Liverpool and Man City.

Straight out of the Christian Benteke handbook.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 17 Dec 23 12.03am Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

Does anybody have a stat on Mateta’s longest run as first choice striker in the team?
I doubt it’s more than 3 or 4 games which seems unfair.
It would be easy to overact to today’s performance and last week’s v Liverpool, but I would like to see him given a run in the team.
Despite his size, he’s not going to win headers or even necessarily dominate central defenders.
But he’s an awkward customer and can finish.
Edouard is very unlikely to have provided a similar impact today.
Alternatively, am I being duped by another false dawn and he flatters to deceive through these occasional cameos?


I checked that out on Transfermarkt last season and as I recall it's 4 games (just the once) and I think there were a couple of 3 game stretches.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 17 Dec 23 8.01am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

He is way better than Edouarde.
He knows where the goal is and is better at holding the ball up and is happy to sniff half chances.
He just needs a fun in the team.
He won and scored last week's pen; he should have seen the keeper sent off yesterday after not backing out of a dreadful challenge; he scored a goal and won the pen for the equaliser.
Not a bad return.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 17 Dec 23 8.07am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

I think that in PV's first season he had a decent fun and scored a few goals.
The stats say 13 EPL appearances - 5 goals - 1 assist in that season.
Some of those were as a sub.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Robk's Profile Robk Flag 17 Dec 23 8.14am Send a Private Message to Robk Add Robk as a friend

Just watched it back on MOTD.. Mateta makes that pen with his chasing back and putting pressure on the City defence... he deserves a run and will score again... I really hope Franca and Ozoh. get a run too both were terrific...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 17 Dec 23 10.02am Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by Robk

Just watched it back on MOTD.. Mateta makes that pen with his chasing back and putting pressure on the City defence... he deserves a run and will score again... I really hope Franca and Ozoh. get a run too both were terrific...

I,too have just watched it as, didn't realise we was on 1st(l/n). The pundits also said the same that he chased after the ball when it broke loose & earned that pen, Edouard wouldn't chase it & Benteke certainly wouldn't(he'd still be walking round the 'D' looking lost).

Doubt whether Roy will start them, Hughes/Schlupp, safety 1st.

 


This operation, will make the 'Charge Of The Light Brigade' seem like a simple military exercise.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 17 Dec 23 10.15am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Yesterday, Mateta did everything that you want from him.

He harried defenders and chased the ball down. Held the ball up and linked play. Scored.

Great stuff.

The question I was left with was why hasn't he be doing this before ?

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jacey's Profile Jacey Flag 17 Dec 23 10.36am Send a Private Message to Jacey Add Jacey as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

Yesterday, Mateta did everything that you want from him.

He harried defenders and chased the ball down. Held the ball up and linked play. Scored.

Great stuff.

The question I was left with was why hasn't he be doing this before ?

Cannot contribute sitting on the subs bench!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 17 Dec 23 10.39am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Jacey

Cannot contribute sitting on the subs bench!!

Ha ! I knew I'd get that response !

Ok, ask yourself if he's produced that kind of performance when he has started. Because I must have missed it.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Mateta