You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Stadium Redevelopment
February 4 2023 2.48am

Stadium Redevelopment

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 27 of 256 < 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 >

 

View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 04 Aug 16 11.22pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

The trouble is, most all singing all dancing new identikit stadiums I have visited have been devoid of any kind of atmosphere.

Old and decrepit it maybe, but to me at least, it still feels like what a proper footy stadium should feel like.

That's not an excuse I'm using though. It cant be beyond the architectural geniuses to design a spectator friendly stadium can it? Problem is off the shelf stadiums are just that. Bowls lacking atmosphere.

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
jeeagles Flag 04 Aug 16 11.48pm

Originally posted by Jimenez

That's not an excuse I'm using though. It cant be beyond the architectural geniuses to design a spectator friendly stadium can it? Problem is off the shelf stadiums are just that. Bowls lacking atmosphere.

Most stadiums were "off the shelf" stadiums to begin with. Just have a look at how many Archibald Leitch designed (and the subsequent issues so many of those stadiums have had).

Cow Shed style stands were once widely mocked, now they are loved like a relics of a bygone age.

Modern stadiums are also much more spectator friendly than the older ones. They lack the charming imperfections which make them a home.

Garth from Wayne's world probably summed it up best when they asked him if he liked their new studios. "It's like a new pair of underwear, at first it's restrictive, then it becomes part of you".

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 05 Aug 16 2.01pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

The trouble is, most all singing all dancing new identikit stadiums I have visited have been devoid of any kind of atmosphere.

Old and decrepit it maybe, but to me at least, it still feels like what a proper footy stadium should feel like.

I agree your criticism of bowl stadiums and like to think that the management share your concerns. However, no sane person would want to keep a stadium that is decrepit and bordering dangerous.

You know those types of blokes who look after steam engines or spend their entire lives in boiler suits refurbishing vintage cars? They start with a pile of metal and end up with polished mechanical heaven. The stadium equivalent of that is Goodison Park. It oozes history and class and is my favourite ground to visit.

Sadly, the two 1980s end terraces - while difficult to criticise as they were essential at the time - make such a refurb job at Selhurst impossible. We have such a patchwork ground that any rebuild that tries to present an historically unified effect that throws back to yesteryear is likely to be a disappointing pastiche. Modern is the only way.

Make no mistake - it will be a tough job and an expensive one to achieve the sort of atmospheric unified stadium we all crave.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Boooo's Profile Boooo Flag 06 Aug 16 8.17pm Send a Private Message to Boooo Add Boooo as a friend

A smaller version of Wembley.

 


I refuse to believe there are that many people out there that can't spell. Too f**king lazy, that's what I think.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View pint's Profile pint Flag Near Dunstable, Bedfordshire 06 Aug 16 8.47pm Send a Private Message to pint Add pint as a friend

anyone notice where the extra seats i nthe main stabd are that SP mentions in his ST letter?

 


"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes." (Brian Clough)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace_Guard's Profile Palace_Guard Flag Adelaide 06 Aug 16 9.59pm Send a Private Message to Palace_Guard Add Palace_Guard as a friend

Originally posted by pint

anyone notice where the extra seats i nthe main stabd are that SP mentions in his ST letter?

i heard this as well, but havent seen it. anybody take photos of this?

 


Live in Melbourne or Victoria, Australia?
Support Crystal Palace?

Well join the Crystal Palace Melbourne Supporters Club:
[Link]

Adelaide, South Australia? Join here:
[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View tillysosser's Profile tillysosser Flag far far away 06 Aug 16 10.01pm Send a Private Message to tillysosser Add tillysosser as a friend

Originally posted by pint

anyone notice where the extra seats i nthe main stabd are that SP mentions in his ST letter?

i thought this but never looked any different unless it was only 3 seats

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Barcelona Based Fan's Profile Barcelona Based Fan Flag No longer Barcelona, now living in... 07 Aug 16 9.15am Send a Private Message to Barcelona Based Fan Add Barcelona Based Fan as a friend

Extra seats? Bomb site more like
How we continue to get a safety certificate is being me?
Nice new loo's & hand dryers but still looks terrible
Before anyone says stop moaning BBF, I like it over there .

My bro has his season ticket on this back row

tmp_17478-20160806_162259-1747703018.jpg Attachment: tmp_17478-20160806_162259-1747703018.jpg (1,585.30Kb)

 


TaxiMark
Sheffield Wednesday Fan
Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:49 PM
I don't mind palace to be fair. Much better club than tinpot Charlton and Brighton

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
ZIGnZAG Flag Stoke 07 Aug 16 9.22am

Originally posted by jeeagles

Most stadiums were "off the shelf" stadiums to begin with. Just have a look at how many Archibald Leitch designed (and the subsequent issues so many of those stadiums have had).

Cow Shed style stands were once widely mocked, now they are loved like a relics of a bygone age.

Modern stadiums are also much more spectator friendly than the older ones. They lack the charming imperfections which make them a home.

Garth from Wayne's world probably summed it up best when they asked him if he liked their new studios. "It's like a new pair of underwear, at first it's restrictive, then it becomes part of you".

Gareth from Wayne's world...... Possibly the greatest quote ever!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View cpfc84's Profile cpfc84 Flag 07 Aug 16 12.41pm Send a Private Message to cpfc84 Add cpfc84 as a friend

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrCParrot's Profile MrCParrot Flag Taunton 07 Aug 16 1.17pm Send a Private Message to MrCParrot Add MrCParrot as a friend

"The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has received a proposal to bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games centred on south London, with Crystal Palace National Sports Centre undergoing a substantial, and overdue, refurbishment."

So which of you guys submitted that little beauty???

Free stadium, yum yum

Parrot

 


Mr Cadbury's Parrot says "Hello"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View bexleydave's Profile bexleydave Flag Barnehurst 07 Aug 16 1.41pm Send a Private Message to bexleydave Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add bexleydave as a friend

Originally posted by MrCParrot

"The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has received a proposal to bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games centred on south London, with Crystal Palace National Sports Centre undergoing a substantial, and overdue, refurbishment."

So which of you guys submitted that little beauty???

Free stadium, yum yum


Exactly the same objections would be lodged as if we were proposing to build a football stadium in the park. Do you seriously think that the local residents would draw a distinction between us moving into a stadium that was already built and a purpose built one. Also, do you really want a stadium with a running track round the pitch? Plus, it's 2026 and it took four years to convert the Olympic Stadium, so you'd be looking at 2030; Harris and Blitzer would have lost interest and pissed off long before that. Finally, it definitely wouldn't be free.

 


Bexley Dave

Can you hear the Brighton sing? I can't hear a ******* thing!

"The most arrogant, obnoxious bunch of deluded little sun tanned, loafer wearing mummy's boys I've ever had the misfortune of having to listen to" (Burnley forum)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 27 of 256 < 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Stadium Redevelopment