You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Bias against Trump
April 1 2020 11.09am

Bias against Trump

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 395 of 413 < 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 >

 

View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Online Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Dec 19 5.01pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

But not be be credited for any improvement. Seems a bit contradictory.

What then is your opinion of the Republican party, both in the House and the Senate, in the past 3 years?

It seems to me that instead of being a co-equal branch of government, as mandated by the constitution, they are determined to act as altar boys for Trump.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 29 Dec 19 5.15pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

What then is your opinion of the Republican party, both in the House and the Senate, in the past 3 years?

It seems to me that instead of being a co-equal branch of government, as mandated by the constitution, they are determined to act as altar boys for Trump.

Itís possible they agree with the party line without any coercion required.
To be honest Iím not sure how their system works between the senate and the House of Representatives, the cabinet and all the State governments.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Online Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Dec 19 5.26pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

I doubt it will escaped anyone's notice, excepting perhaps just one regular poster, that Mrs Thatcher wasn't President of the USA. She wasn't even President of the UK, much as she might have liked to have been.

She was our PM, with markedly different responsibilities in a totally different political system which functions in a much smaller economy than does the USA. Smaller economies, like smaller ships, can turn round quicker but still need time to react to stimuli. UK PM's have a greater economic influence than US Presidents do. In my opinion at least!

Mrs Thatcher was of her time. There was much to admire in her. She oversaw some very much needed changes and instilled discipline. Some of those changes produced good results whilst others were more questionable but they all took some time to really be felt. Quelling inflation and union power by raising interest rates and cutting public spending produced a recession and then a boom. Whether this was all worth it divides opinion. Soaring house prices which mean the young can no longer as easily afford to get on the housing ladder as my generation could is not a good thing for a fair, cohesive, society. The divisions we see today can all be linked to those days.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 29 Dec 19 6.34pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I doubt it will escaped anyone's notice, excepting perhaps just one regular poster, that Mrs Thatcher wasn't President of the USA. She wasn't even President of the UK, much as she might have liked to have been.

She was our PM, with markedly different responsibilities in a totally different political system which functions in a much smaller economy than does the USA. Smaller economies, like smaller ships, can turn round quicker but still need time to react to stimuli. UK PM's have a greater economic influence than US Presidents do. In my opinion at least!

Mrs Thatcher was of her time. There was much to admire in her. She oversaw some very much needed changes and instilled discipline. Some of those changes produced good results whilst others were more questionable but they all took some time to really be felt. Quelling inflation and union power by raising interest rates and cutting public spending produced a recession and then a boom. Whether this was all worth it divides opinion. Soaring house prices which mean the young can no longer as easily afford to get on the housing ladder as my generation could is not a good thing for a fair, cohesive, society. The divisions we see today can all be linked to those days.

Fair dont cut it.
Many have afforded properties through hard work and effort.
Loads of property is affordable.
Maybe not in truro and london but move out from these areas and it is affordable for two wage earners.
I dont think linking what happened 30 odd years ago helps tbh.
The unions were too strong and economies arnt just a UK thing.
All you are doing is giving the feckless and work shy excuses not to help themselves.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 29 Dec 19 7.14pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Fair dont cut it.
Many have afforded properties through hard work and effort.
Loads of property is affordable.
Maybe not in truro and london but move out from these areas and it is affordable for two wage earners.
I dont think linking what happened 30 odd years ago helps tbh.
The unions were too strong and economies arnt just a UK thing.
All you are doing is giving the feckless and work shy excuses not to help themselves.

We should be debating people with more 'malleable' minds.

Edited by Stirlingsays (29 Dec 2019 7.15pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Online Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Dec 19 7.56pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Fair dont cut it.
Many have afforded properties through hard work and effort.
Loads of property is affordable.
Maybe not in truro and london but move out from these areas and it is affordable for two wage earners.
I dont think linking what happened 30 odd years ago helps tbh.
The unions were too strong and economies arnt just a UK thing.
All you are doing is giving the feckless and work shy excuses not to help themselves.

I don't know whether you have noticed but many family units only have one wage earner at best. the growth of the rental market for young people has been very marked. You simply cannot blame this on the "feckless and work shy" who I accept exist and who don't need our sympathy but do need some tough love to get them moving.

I am not suggesting that using hindsight helps other than it teaching us not what to do again. I am not attaching blame as I am quite sure these things were done with a sincere belief that they were for the best. Some were, whilst others had unintended and unfortunate consequences.

Of course economies aren't just a UK thing. They just operate differently in different countries and under different political systems.

As this thread is about Trump it was the US economy that was my focus. Not the UK.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 29 Dec 19 9.12pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I don't know whether you have noticed but many family units only have one wage earner at best. the growth of the rental market for young people has been very marked. You simply cannot blame this on the "feckless and work shy" who I accept exist and who don't need our sympathy but do need some tough love to get them moving.

I am not suggesting that using hindsight helps other than it teaching us not what to do again. I am not attaching blame as I am quite sure these things were done with a sincere belief that they were for the best. Some were, whilst others had unintended and unfortunate consequences.

Of course economies aren't just a UK thing. They just operate differently in different countries and under different political systems.

As this thread is about Trump it was the US economy that was my focus. Not the UK.

You mentioned the iron lady and unions, not me.
Decisions made by leaders have pretty instant results normally.
Trump has put China to bed and helped the usa big style.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Online Flag Truro Cornwall 29 Dec 19 9.32pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

You mentioned the iron lady and unions, not me.

It wasn't either of us who introduced Thatcher into this Trump thread.

Decisions made by leaders have pretty instant results normally.

That's simply untrue. When laws are changed they need to secure Parliamentary approval and Royal assent. When anything changes there is almost always a time lag between implementation and any effect.

Trump has put China to bed and helped the usa big style.

That is a wildly optimistic appraisal. What the mid to long term consequences of this strategy is really unclear as it could have many different outcomes. Even short term there are many in the USA who would disagree with you. It isn't China who pays the increased tariffs. It's the US consumer who either accepts the higher prices or goes without.


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (29 Dec 2019 9.33pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 29 Dec 19 11.37pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle


Edited by Wisbech Eagle (29 Dec 2019 9.33pm)

Check your 5.26pm post about the iron lady.
My second line was about trump not the uk.
Anyone can throw the 'long term' line in there.
It's the here and now that is how it is.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Online Flag Truro Cornwall 30 Dec 19 10.10am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Check your 5.26pm post about the iron lady.
My second line was about trump not the uk.
Anyone can throw the 'long term' line in there.
It's the here and now that is how it is.

Check the 2.00 post from the usual suspect. That's when Thatcher crept into this thread.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 30 Dec 19 10.23am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Check the 2.00 post from the usual suspect. That's when Thatcher crept into this thread.

You planned that

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 30 Dec 19 11.16am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Yeah, you see, if you're a British PM you can affect the British economy.

But if you're the US President apparently you can't affect the US economy.

It's beyond parody.


Edited by Stirlingsays (30 Dec 2019 11.17am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 395 of 413 < 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Bias against Trump