You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > They shall not grow old
November 20 2018 8.23pm

They shall not grow old

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 > Last Ľ

 

View kayjaybee's Profile kayjaybee Flag orpington 19 Oct 18 10.25am Send a Private Message to kayjaybee Add kayjaybee as a friend

Went to see this on Monday, very moving, quite remarkable how all the 1914/18 black and white footage has been brought up to date, actually seems to bring home the horrific conditions the troops were in. If anyone else has seen it would be interested in your opinion, if not and you get the chance, go and see it. Powerful and thought provoking

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View stuckinbristol's Profile stuckinbristol Flag In the woodwork. 19 Oct 18 1.48pm Send a Private Message to stuckinbristol Add stuckinbristol as a friend

Originally posted by kayjaybee

Went to see this on Monday, very moving, quite remarkable how all the 1914/18 black and white footage has been brought up to date, actually seems to bring home the horrific conditions the troops were in. If anyone else has seen it would be interested in your opinion, if not and you get the chance, go and see it. Powerful and thought provoking

Will definitely be going to see this.
I have seen a couple of clips on the telly this week, and it makes the old black and white film really come to life. Don't get me wrong, the old black and white stuff is still very moving, but with colour just makes in more real for us generations that have grown up with colour.

 


There's only one P in Palace...and I'm sitting on it.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace777's Profile palace777 Flag belfast 19 Oct 18 2.02pm Send a Private Message to palace777 Add palace777 as a friend

This should be compulsory viewing for all the dopey students who want to ban the Poppy as a "glorification of war"
Let them see what this generation went through to ensure these d*ckheads have the right to free speech

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kayjaybee's Profile kayjaybee Flag orpington 19 Oct 18 2.14pm Send a Private Message to kayjaybee Add kayjaybee as a friend

I think it's going to be shown in all secondary schools in the country, might bring a few to their senses, not sure about general release, although the missus heard that it's going to be shown on the BBC, if it is and you are lucky enough to have surround sound, makes it more realistic during the trench scenes

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 19 Oct 18 2.18pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

I am hoping to see this next week it has a limited viewing and already some of the showings are sold out. Such a shame that the cinema chains don't get it.

If you can't make it the BBC will be showing this on Remembrance Sunday. I agree with another poster this should be shown in all schools and colleges. Whilst our students are busy doing the important stuff e.g. how to spell the word Woman without including the word "man" or tearing down statues because their white and male, their counterparts were giving their lives for this great country of ours.

A J P Taylor's Origins Of The First World War is considered to the definitive book. Having read it and studied WW1 I must confess I still don't understand why it happened. I think Blackadder had it right when silly George asked him the question. "It was just too difficult to stop."

I also agree with some historians who maintain that there was only 1 war with a 20 year gap in the middle. There is some logic to this as the origins of WW2 lie in the outcome of WW1.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell 19 Oct 18 2.42pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

Originally posted by palace777

This should be compulsory viewing for all the dopey students who want to ban the Poppy as a "glorification of war"
Let them see what this generation went through to ensure these d*ckheads have the right to free speech

Amen to this.

 


Is joining the 'Grumpy Old Gits' Club

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 19 Oct 18 3.28pm Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by palace777

This should be compulsory viewing for all the dopey students who want to ban the Poppy as a "glorification of war"
Let them see what this generation went through to ensure these d*ckheads have the right to free speech


Couldn't agree more

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 19 Oct 18 3.31pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

A wonderful work by Peter Jackson who took no fee.

Thank you sir.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 19 Oct 18 4.37pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

I am hoping to see this next week it has a limited viewing and already some of the showings are sold out. Such a shame that the cinema chains don't get it.

If you can't make it the BBC will be showing this on Remembrance Sunday. I agree with another poster this should be shown in all schools and colleges. Whilst our students are busy doing the important stuff e.g. how to spell the word Woman without including the word "man" or tearing down statues because their white and male, their counterparts were giving their lives for this great country of ours.

A J P Taylor's Origins Of The First World War is considered to the definitive book. Having read it and studied WW1 I must confess I still don't understand why it happened. I think Blackadder had it right when silly George asked him the question. "It was just too difficult to stop."

I also agree with some historians who maintain that there was only 1 war with a 20 year gap in the middle. There is some logic to this as the origins of WW2 lie in the outcome of WW1.

I was always taught it was because, seeing conflict coming, the Germans' only plan was the Schlieffen plan.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lakeview's Profile Lakeview Flag Lincoln 19 Oct 18 4.45pm Send a Private Message to Lakeview Add Lakeview as a friend

Regarding why it happened: take a look at the Kaiser and what German dominance of Europe & the World would have meant. Germany was not a secure democracy and their record in their African empire was infamous. Their behaviour and war crimes as they swept through Belgium also stand out. It was a catastrophic loss of life, but at the time, and now by Max Hastings, Gary Sheffield and many historians, the fact that it was necessary, in a similar way to the necessity of World War II, is rightly recognised. Black Adder simply repeated the "War is hell" philosophy; of course that's true, but some wars-even with hindsight-were necessary evils to avoid a cruel and dictatorial power.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 19 Oct 18 6.45pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by kayjaybee

I think it's going to be shown in all secondary schools in the country, might bring a few to their senses, not sure about general release, although the missus heard that it's going to be shown on the BBC, if it is and you are lucky enough to have surround sound, makes it more realistic during the trench scenes

Yes itís deffo going to be shown on the beeb in November.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View johnno42000's Profile johnno42000 Flag 19 Oct 18 8.45pm Send a Private Message to johnno42000 Add johnno42000 as a friend

Originally posted by Lakeview

Regarding why it happened: take a look at the Kaiser and what German dominance of Europe & the World would have meant. Germany was not a secure democracy and their record in their African empire was infamous. Their behaviour and war crimes as they swept through Belgium also stand out. It was a catastrophic loss of life, but at the time, and now by Max Hastings, Gary Sheffield and many historians, the fact that it was necessary, in a similar way to the necessity of World War II, is rightly recognised. Black Adder simply repeated the "War is hell" philosophy; of course that's true, but some wars-even with hindsight-were necessary evils to avoid a cruel and dictatorial power.

Interesting that you mention Belgium as their behaviour in their colonies was equally (if not more) terrible, albeit done under King Leopold's direct rule.

I agree that it should be shown to all secondary schools and to students at college and university. The hell that the ordinary soldiers must have gone through is almost inconceivable to people alive at present.

 


'Lies to the masses as are like fly's to mollasses...they want more and more and more'

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 > Last Ľ

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > They shall not grow old