You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace vs Chelsea Match Thread
March 18 2019 7.29pm

Palace vs Chelsea Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 22 of 23 < 18 19 20 21 22 23 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 05 Nov 18 10.36am Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by Nobbybm

How can you possibly judge that based on minimal BBC coverage?

Yes, they made a couple of errors that led to goals but for the most part kept one of the best teams in Europe at bay.

Now if we had a striker who could convert our chances the season would already look completely different (and Chelski would've been chasing the game from early on).

they do this all the time that why we lose games that we should have won (Wolves & Soton), they are not quality sides but the mistakes are the same, both Sakho and Tomkins got poor rating from yesterday, its not the 80% of the game that matters its the 20% when mistakes are made and that is the difference between winning and losing. Out team has recently lacked decent investment, Parish is always looking to do things on the cheap, that why we do not have a decent striker even though the writing has been on the wall for the last 6 years every season we seem to struggle, whereas the likes of Watford, Bournemouth and even Brighton seem to improve. Why is that? maybe because they do not have Parish as their leader!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View A89M's Profile A89M Flag Streatham 05 Nov 18 10.48am Send a Private Message to A89M Add A89M as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

they do this all the time that why we lose games that we should have won (Wolves & Soton), they are not quality sides but the mistakes are the same, both Sakho and Tomkins got poor rating from yesterday, its not the 80% of the game that matters its the 20% when mistakes are made and that is the difference between winning and losing. Out team has recently lacked decent investment, Parish is always looking to do things on the cheap, that why we do not have a decent striker even though the writing has been on the wall for the last 6 years every season we seem to struggle, whereas the likes of Watford, Bournemouth and even Brighton seem to improve. Why is that? maybe because they do not have Parish as their leader!

2 out of the 3 have had a consistent manager in place with one vision of playing football. Parish on the other hand has had a multiple of different views on how the game is played, where he has then brought in players to suit each managers way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View A89M's Profile A89M Flag Streatham 05 Nov 18 10.57am Send a Private Message to A89M Add A89M as a friend

Originally posted by taylors lovechild

I don't get those talking about entertainment being equated with the Championship. I would take the wins over Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool we've seen in recent years over a comprehensive win over Wigan or Preston. I want to see Palace compete with the best, not be comfortable with second best. Championship just equals less quality. At the end of last season we played some great stuff and I don't think we're a million miles away from getting that back.

Furthermore, for me, in the last period in the Championship we played some of the worst football I have ever seen from us and were lucky not to get relegated to League 1. If we kept the same team and went down fair enough, but the reality is we would probably lose pretty much all the players that could entertain us or at least make us competitive. We don't need to get relegated, we just need to find a striker/goalscoring midfielder, or get one of our current lot playing like one. Who knows, maybe that goal will get Townsend scoring again?

Agreed. I watched the Wigan V Leeds game yesterday and Leeds are supposed to be one of the best teams in the league and my god what a boring, poor quality game it was.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag 05 Nov 18 11.00am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by A89M

2 out of the 3 have had a consistent manager in place with one vision of playing football. Parish on the other hand has had a multiple of different views on how the game is played, where he has then brought in players to suit each managers way.

Are you suggesting that Parish makes the final decision regards transfers having been in consultation with his scouting team then presents them to the manager as a 'Fait accompli' ? My understanding is that this is not the procedure that is followed.

In terms of pre-season spending of the teams highlighted, Watford spent £25 Mill but brought in £45 Mill primarily on account of the Richarlison sale.
Brighton spent over £60 Mill and brought in £11 Mill.
Bournemouth spent £46 Mill and brought in around £20 Mill.

Edited by Willo (05 Nov 2018 11.02am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag 05 Nov 18 11.05am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by A89M

Agreed. I watched the Wigan V Leeds game yesterday and Leeds are supposed to be one of the best teams in the league and my god what a boring, poor quality game it was.

Leeds were good value for their win against a Wigan team missing some key attacking players.Maybe we will lure Kemar Roofe away from them in January - doubt they will sell him !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cpj's Profile cpj Flag Kent 05 Nov 18 11.11am Send a Private Message to cpj Add cpj as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Are you suggesting that Parish makes the final decision regards transfers having been in consultation with his scouting team then presents them to the manager as a 'Fait accompli' ? My understanding is that this is not the procedure that is followed.

In terms of pre-season spending of the teams highlighted, Watford spent £25 Mill but brought in £45 Mill primarily on account of the Richarlison sale.
Brighton spent over £60 Mill and brought in £11 Mill.
Bournemouth spent £46 Mill and brought in around £20 Mill.

Edited by Willo (05 Nov 2018 11.02am)

Yet despite our obvious need for a striker we spent just £9m on a midfielder in Kouyate who has not impressed so far, Meyer on a free and brought in the awful Ayew on loan. Why is that? In the previous window we just brought in Jach (who has disappeared on a season's loan) and Sorloth who again has not impressed. Why can't we sign promising British players like we used to and like Bournemouth did with Brooks?


Edited by cpj (05 Nov 2018 11.15am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag People's Republic of Gozo 05 Nov 18 11.30am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Well said ^^^^^ Reading that I doubt youíre Taylorís love child.

I joined the forum a month after Taylor became manager in June 2006. My Dad had always raved about watching Taylor and so the moniker seemed appropriate. Sadly my excitement was not to last and I was left with this name. At least I didn't join a month after Burley became manager.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Warlodog's Profile Warlodog Flag Warlingham 05 Nov 18 11.32am Send a Private Message to Warlodog Add Warlodog as a friend

Unusually for us, we were poor defensively, even allowing for the cheating (holding) by Chelsea at free kicks. Really disappointed at PVA for the third goal - no excuse to give up like that and killed off any chance of a comeback. The midfield is lacking in real quality, pace and speed of thought. At both Everton and Chelsea, we have made quick breaks which have come to nothing due to lack of support

Finally, people say Zaha goes to ground easily - maybe they should take a look at Hazard and the way he tumbles to the ground at the slightest touch.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View A89M's Profile A89M Flag Streatham 05 Nov 18 1.03pm Send a Private Message to A89M Add A89M as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Are you suggesting that Parish makes the final decision regards transfers having been in consultation with his scouting team then presents them to the manager as a 'Fait accompli' ? My understanding is that this is not the procedure that is followed.

In terms of pre-season spending of the teams highlighted, Watford spent £25 Mill but brought in £45 Mill primarily on account of the Richarlison sale.
Brighton spent over £60 Mill and brought in £11 Mill.
Bournemouth spent £46 Mill and brought in around £20 Mill.

Edited by Willo (05 Nov 2018 11.02am)

No I am not, I'm suggesting that he has brought in the players the manager has wanted to suit their style of play. The manager has then left for whatever reason and the process has been repeated with a different manager who has a different vision on how he wants to play football. Creating a squad with no real philosophy for the last 5-6 years.

For once, under Roy I enjoy the football we play and hope that Parish backs him, if financially possible.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag 05 Nov 18 1.15pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by A89M

No I am not, I'm suggesting that he has brought in the players the manager has wanted to suit their style of play. The manager has then left for whatever reason and the process has been repeated with a different manager who has a different vision on how he wants to play football. Creating a squad with no real philosophy for the last 5-6 years.

For once, under Roy I enjoy the football we play and hope that Parish backs him, if financially possible.

I think that since Hodgson joined, the transfer expenditure (Excluding any loan fees) has been some £21 Mill rising to £28 Mill if one includes the add-ons.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 05 Nov 18 1.16pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

The problem with giving away so much possession is that you end up parking the bus - this means that a defender has to maintain 100% concentration which isn't possible over 90 minutes, hence errors creep in.
We need to keep the ball in areas further up the pitch...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bangell's Profile Bangell Flag Oxford 05 Nov 18 1.20pm Send a Private Message to Bangell Add Bangell as a friend

Originally posted by A89M

No I am not, I'm suggesting that he has brought in the players the manager has wanted to suit their style of play. The manager has then left for whatever reason and the process has been repeated with a different manager who has a different vision on how he wants to play football. Creating a squad with no real philosophy for the last 5-6 years.

For once, under Roy I enjoy the football we play and hope that Parish backs him, if financially possible.

I think there's a strong case to be made that Parish has not given Roy the players that he wants for his style - Hodgson made a point of not including Rakip last season, and the Meyer transfer really seems like Parish going 'great prospect on a free, we'll have him' rather than bringing in someone who fits Roy's style - as evidenced by Roy's reluctance to use such a promising player and the difficulty finding a way to fit him into the system. Our best transfer windows - the January transfer windows under Pulis and Allardyce - have been when a proven manager comes in and knows who they want, while Parish in emergency mode acquiesces. You are right that managerial turnover has resulted in a bit of a jumble of players, but I think the Meyer transfer in particular shows the club bringing in a good-looking player rather than considering what we need for the manager's style - someone physical and dynamic (like RLC) rather than intricate and neat.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 22 of 23 < 18 19 20 21 22 23 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace vs Chelsea Match Thread