You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Tonights boxing
June 20 2021 10.37pm

Tonights boxing

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 65 of 66 < 61 62 63 64 65 66 >

 

View Casual's Profile Casual Flag Orpington 10 Jun 21 7.50pm Send a Private Message to Casual Add Casual as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Kirkland (The gifted one) Laing passed away today.

Incredibly skilled fighter who held a win over Duran.

Quite the character. I remember the BBC using subtitles to interview him once as his accent was so strong.

Had he committed himself more he could have been a great.

People often use the term ‘best British boxer never to win a world title’ well he, asLong with Graham, may have been it.

Lived in a council flat in Stockwell in his prime , died living in Yorkshire apparently.
Split decision against Duran, I’m a bit too young to remember the fight, assume Duran was well in decline.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View glazedallover's Profile glazedallover Flag Allier 10 Jun 21 8.19pm Send a Private Message to glazedallover Add glazedallover as a friend

Originally posted by Casual

Lived in a council flat in Stockwell in his prime , died living in Yorkshire apparently.
Split decision against Duran, I’m a bit too young to remember the fight, assume Duran was well in decline.

Nope. 1982 at Light-middle. Before Duran met Hagler and Hearns ,and his 3rd Leonard fight.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 10 Jun 21 9.47pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


He was entertaining to watch but his hands down style was always a risky strategy. Remember one fight, can’t remember the opponent, where he put his hands down and waggled his chin then got sparked out. It would’ve been interesting if he’d fought Honeyghan.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 10 Jun 21 10.04pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


He was entertaining to watch but his hands down style was always a risky strategy. Remember one fight, can’t remember the opponent, where he put his hands down and waggled his chin then got sparked out. It would’ve been interesting if he’d fought Honeyghan.

I remember a couple of great fights with Colin Jones.
If he had taken the game more seriously he could have been a rich man....but he spent and spent.

Similar to Honeyghan.....though Honeyghan made more money.

Edited by Stirlingsays (10 Jun 2021 10.06pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Online Flag Croydon 11 Jun 21 6.48pm Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

[Link]

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Online Flag Croydon 16 Jun 21 8.52am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Happy birthday to Roberto Duran.

Hands of stone turns 70 today.

One of the greatest ever and imo, the greatest lightweight ever lived.

He fought them all ducking no man. You got the feeling some of those fights he would have fought for nothing, just pride.

Simple character who grew up in poverty. Unapologetic in his views. Lived life on his terms.

Would of wiped the floor with today’s boys.

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 16 Jun 21 9.33am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Happy birthday to Roberto Duran.

Hands of stone turns 70 today.

One of the greatest ever and imo, the greatest lightweight ever lived.

He fought them all ducking no man. You got the feeling some of those fights he would have fought for nothing, just pride.

Simple character who grew up in poverty. Unapologetic in his views. Lived life on his terms.

Would of wiped the floor with today’s boys.

The word that comes to mind with Roberto Duran is “snarling” .
How lucky we were to see him, Leonard, Hearns and, to me the greatest, Marvelous Marvin Hagler all fight each other.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kennybrowns leftfoot's Profile kennybrowns leftfoot Flag Moved Again.. Banstead now Darling... Yesterday 4.55am Send a Private Message to kennybrowns leftfoot Add kennybrowns leftfoot as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Happy birthday to Roberto Duran.

Hands of stone turns 70 today.

One of the greatest ever and imo, the greatest lightweight ever lived.

He fought them all ducking no man. You got the feeling some of those fights he would have fought for nothing, just pride.

Simple character who grew up in poverty. Unapologetic in his views. Lived life on his terms.

Would of wiped the floor with today’s boys.

Great tribute there Tom... Totally agree.. He was the original 'tough South American' fighter.. Don't get me wrong they've always been as hard as nails as a group of people but I think he opened many Brits eyes to just how hard those South Americans were...

People in Britain whinge about growing up with nothing. The South Americans must laugh as they literally do grow up with nothing, surrounded by poverty and murder.. Hard people by a mile who have lived proper hard lives..

 


Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind, the race is long. But in the end it's only with yourself!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sickboy's Profile sickboy Flag Deal or Croydon Yesterday 6.18am Send a Private Message to sickboy Add sickboy as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

Great tribute there Tom... Totally agree.. He was the original 'tough South American' fighter.. Don't get me wrong they've always been as hard as nails as a group of people but I think he opened many Brits eyes to just how hard those South Americans were...

People in Britain whinge about growing up with nothing. The South Americans must laugh as they literally do grow up with nothing, surrounded by poverty and murder.. Hard people by a mile who have lived proper hard lives..

And central America, which is where Panama is.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kennybrowns leftfoot's Profile kennybrowns leftfoot Flag Moved Again.. Banstead now Darling... Yesterday 6.29am Send a Private Message to kennybrowns leftfoot Add kennybrowns leftfoot as a friend

Originally posted by sickboy

And central America, which is where Panama is.

Ah yes... That as well!!

 


Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind, the race is long. But in the end it's only with yourself!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sickboy's Profile sickboy Flag Deal or Croydon Yesterday 6.33am Send a Private Message to sickboy Add sickboy as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

Ah yes... That as well!!

You were spot on though about everything else

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sickboy's Profile sickboy Flag Deal or Croydon Yesterday 7.19pm Send a Private Message to sickboy Add sickboy as a friend

Inoue "the monster" fights tonight.
Looking forward to it.
Loma back in action next week.
Hope he's fit now. IMHO the most naturally gifted boxer I've seen.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 65 of 66 < 61 62 63 64 65 66 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Tonights boxing