You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Greenpeace Protest
July 20 2019 6.45pm

Greenpeace Protest

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 13 of 13 ę First< 9 10 11 12 13

 

View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 23 Jun 19 9.30pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by orpingtoneagle

Never protested as I work full time...

I never realised those were the rules. I work more than full time - usually about 70 hours a week yet manage my time to protest about issues I value.

My take on this is that it shows just how bonkers this nation has become. You chuck a milkshake at a low level politico and its assault. You manhandled a woman in an evening dress who was clearly part of an organised climate change demonstration and you are some sort of hero.

We increasingly are living in a world where those who mutter darkly about government and press intrusion now spend hours with an ear to the wall hoping to catch a tit bit of scandal from next door.

I do think that this whole milkshake business should be deemed as an assault really. There has to be a consequence for that kind of intrusion into someones personal space, if only as a deterrent to others.

Actual physical acts of violence are of course worse, just as cowardly and more consequential. I don't really heap this into that pile though as it wasn't a premeditated act, like hurling a milkshake. It was an instinctive action at a perceived threat.

I can see how it would be deemed excessive, and I don't think it shows him in a good light, but at the same time, I'm not sure that I'd want a message sent out that if people burst into a room with unknown intentions, everyone should just passively sit there and let events unfold through fear of personal consequence. What happened wasn't ideal by any means, but a sense of perspective should be applied. It's a 'tomorrow's fish and chip paper' situation.


Edited by dollardays (23 Jun 2019 9.38pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 23 Jun 19 10.32pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by dollardays

I do think that this whole milkshake business should be deemed as an assault really. There has to be a consequence for that kind of intrusion into someones personal space, if only as a deterrent to others.

Actual physical acts of violence are of course worse, just as cowardly and more consequential. I don't really heap this into that pile though as it wasn't a premeditated act, like hurling a milkshake. It was an instinctive action at a perceived threat.

I can see how it would be deemed excessive, and I don't think it shows him in a good light, but at the same time, I'm not sure that I'd want a message sent out that if people burst into a room with unknown intentions, everyone should just passively sit there and let events unfold through fear of personal consequence. What happened wasn't ideal by any means, but a sense of perspective should be applied. It's a 'tomorrow's fish and chip paper' situation.


Edited by dollardays (23 Jun 2019 9.38pm)

Thatís a fair assessment. Bit of a Catch-22 situation; sit there doing nothing and get mocked for being spineless or grab the person and get accused of assault.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 24 Jun 19 12.09am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Apparently this event had no security.

In that case, unless you are going to wait half an hour for the Police to turn up I expect someone had to make her leave.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 24 Jun 19 8.40am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Apparently this event had no security.

In that case, unless you are going to wait half an hour for the Police to turn up I expect someone had to make her leave.

Haha. Obviously you donít know where Mansion House is. Plod central with a Police Station just up the road.

No security? That is completely unbelievable.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 24 Jun 19 8.43am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Haha. Obviously you donít know where Mansion House is. Plod central with a Police Station just up the road.

No security? That is completely unbelievable.

Exactly rather than focus on the MP why is the media not focusing on the lack of security. 40 odd (and I mean odd) demonstrators were able to gain access.

Whatever security was there be it police or private security was completely inadequate for an event that is an obvious target for protestors.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 24 Jun 19 8.53am Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Exactly rather than focus on the MP why is the media not focusing on the lack of security. 40 odd (and I mean odd) demonstrators were able to gain access.

Whatever security was there be it police or private security was completely inadequate for an event that is an obvious target for protestors.

Sounds like it could have been a set up?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 24 Jun 19 9.36am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Apparently this event had no security.

In that case, unless you are going to wait half an hour for the Police to turn up I expect someone had to make her leave.

As usual you didnít check your facts Stirling

It was security that called the Police. There is a blog in the Spectator about the light touch security.

The Police would have been there almost instantaneously, Cannon Street is next door too which is policed. Try finding another excuse. Field isnít, he simply apologised but hey, what does he know.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 24 Jun 19 9.38am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

Sounds like it could have been a set up?

I wonder if at least they had a key to a service door or some such.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 24 Jun 19 9.51am Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I wonder if at least they had a key to a service door or some such.

Exactly.

Got to have had someone on the inside, surely?

40 of them bowling about at a high security event in the city ffs

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 13 of 13 ę First< 9 10 11 12 13

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Greenpeace Protest