You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Can we all take a minute please to......
September 20 2019 9.18am

Can we all take a minute please to......

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

 

View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 10 Sep 19 11.40am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

Of course not. I am not defending bullying. Which Bercow has denied by the way, so we ought not judge him on that score just yet. I am putting that in the context of his bigger contribution to the functioning of our democracy.

Contextualising the situation doesnít excuse it either no matter how lofty the claims made for his intentions.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Online Flag Truro Cornwall 10 Sep 19 11.58am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

You have an odd definition of "window dressing"

There were rumours that Bercow intended to retire in June but when the time approached he denied that he had ever thought about resignation and he announced his resignation yesterday knowing that he was about to be booted out anyway

"Rumours" in June?

This was in the Telegraph in May:-

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Online Flag Truro Cornwall 10 Sep 19 12.06pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Contextualising the situation doesnít excuse it either no matter how lofty the claims made for his intentions.

What's your point?

I am not "contextualising the situation" of his alleged bullying at all. If he is found to have acted inappropriately then no doubt he will be suitably reprimanded. It's a separate issue.

I am putting that issue alongside the much bigger one of his contribution to the preservation of our system of Parliamentary democracy. In that context it is a bag of nothing. Many politicians have character flaws. In some ways it comes with the territory. Churchill was a bully and a drunk who was subject to periods of intense depression. It didn't stop him being a great man.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 10 Sep 19 12.14pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

Say good riddance to slimy Bercow, the bullying biased Speaker.

Agreed.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 10 Sep 19 12.27pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

What's your point?

I am not "contextualising the situation" of his alleged bullying at all. If he is found to have acted inappropriately then no doubt he will be suitably reprimanded. It's a separate issue.

I am putting that issue alongside the much bigger one of his contribution to the preservation of our system of Parliamentary democracy. In that context it is a bag of nothing. Many politicians have character flaws. In some ways it comes with the territory. Churchill was a bully and a drunk who was subject to periods of intense depression. It didn't stop him being a great man.

And who decides the legitimacy of the contribution or the intention behind it? You are still trying to justify his behaviour. As you are fond of saying to everyone else, perhaps you donít understand. Please donít bother replying that you do.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 10 Sep 19 12.46pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


As you are fond of saying to everyone else, perhaps you donít understand.

AKA Remainer clichť number 2

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 10 Sep 19 12.49pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Ah, John Bercow

Such an interesting character.

A Conservative. Wisbech was wrong, he was clapped by the Conservatives yesterday, just not the front bench. You know, that lot that are trying some 'innovative' approaches to get their way and who have been frustrated in some of those attempts. I wonder why they didn't clap him.

Perhaps he is indeed too much of a character but of course we live in 'interesting times'. He has certainly upset the right wing of the Conservatives over the years, especially the more than odious Angela Leadsom. Was he therefore smeared? I don't think he would have been concerned about someone standing against him at the next election, just more fluff from the Government. After all, Farage didn't even come as runner up to him, that was a pro Europe candidate.

Who knows whether there was any truth in the bullying allegations. Certainly it seemed like a lot of noise with no substance at the time. Angus Sinclair appears to have been poor at his job. The non-disclosure is a non-issue, he was given a standard settlement agreement when he left.

What I will say - strongly - against Bercow is that he and his son never miss Arsenal home games. What kind of person is that.

By the way, let us not forget Bernard Weatherill, Croydon's very own Bercow.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 10 Sep 19 12.57pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Ah, John Bercow

Such an interesting character.

A Conservative. Wisbech was wrong, he was clapped by the Conservatives yesterday, just not the front bench. You know, that lot that are trying some 'innovative' approaches to get their way and who have been frustrated in some of those attempts. I wonder why they didn't clap him.

Perhaps he is indeed too much of a character but of course we live in 'interesting times'. He has certainly upset the right wing of the Conservatives over the years, especially the more than odious Angela Leadsom. Was he therefore smeared? I don't think he would have been concerned about someone standing against him at the next election, just more fluff from the Government. After all, Farage didn't even come as runner up to him, that was a pro Europe candidate.

Who knows whether there was any truth in the bullying allegations. Certainly it seemed like a lot of noise with no substance at the time. Angus Sinclair appears to have been poor at his job. The non-disclosure is a non-issue, he was given a standard settlement agreement when he left.

What I will say - strongly - against Bercow is that he and his son never miss Arsenal home games. What kind of person is that.

By the way, let us not forget Bernard Weatherill, Croydon's very own Bercow.

A remainer defending a remainer.

Bercow was clapped by some conservatives....I only saw one stand and clap.....However I saw most if not all the opposition stand, cheer and clap him.

Now that says it all about Bercow.

A speaker who politicised his office.

Edited by Stirlingsays (10 Sep 2019 12.58pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 10 Sep 19 12.59pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

This is also very interesting. From Bercow's manifesto in 2009.

In reference to his decision to stand, Bercow said:

"I wanted it because I felt that there was a task to be undertaken and that's about strengthening backbench involvement and opportunity in parliament, and helping parliament get off its knees and recognise that it isn't just there as a rubber-stamping operation for the government of the day, and as necessary and appropriate to contradict and expose the government of the day."

Well, this certainly proved his prescience.

Remember that Bercow is the first Speaker who is Jewish, the first Speaker to have been elected by an exhaustive ballot and the first Speaker not to wear traditional court robes while presiding over the House of Commons.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 10 Sep 19 1.01pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

A remainer defending a remainer.

Bercow was clapped by some conservatives....I only saw one stand and clap.....However I saw most if not all the opposition stand, cheer and clap him.

Now that says it all about Bercow.

A speaker who politicised his office.

Edited by Stirlingsays (10 Sep 2019 12.58pm)

Ah, so it's inappropriate for a remainer to defend a remainer. That takes out over half of the voting population from giving an opinion Stirling, albeit not half of HOL.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 10 Sep 19 1.04pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Ah, so it's inappropriate for a remainer to defend a remainer. That takes out over half of the voting population from giving an opinion Stirling, albeit not half of HOL.

I didn't say it was inappropriate, I just described what you were doing.

What is inappropriate is the for speaker to have performed his duties as this guy did.....So that one side of the house liked him but the other didn't.

Before Bercow, I had never known the speaker role to become politicized.....he did that and he deserves criticism for it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 10 Sep 19 1.05pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

As for the Hol not being split politically evenly.....Do you go over to the other sites and make statements like that?

I think not.

Edited by Stirlingsays (10 Sep 2019 1.06pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Can we all take a minute please to......