You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > The Election Thread
January 29 2020 2.41am

The Election Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 79 of 215 < 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 >

 

View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 18 Nov 19 12.32pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Rightly so.

The main issues are being identified by labour.

I don't think spouting 'get brexit done' or 'Corbyn is a marxist' is going down well at all.

Can't talk about their record, obviously.

Prepared for a shock.

With respect, the Conservatives are more than content to debate what you term the "Main issues" as well as of course Brexit which is of course a major issue.Labour wish to divert the debate away from Brexit for obvious reasons.

Indeed it would be a shock if Labour were able to form a majority Government but as I have asserted a few times, I am certainly not complacent and taking the result for granted.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 18 Nov 19 1.13pm Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Indeed it would be a shock if Labour were able to form a majority Government but as I have asserted a few times, I am certainly not complacent and taking the result for granted.

A sensible approach after 2017. And British politics over-all is in a state of real flux with polling almost as discredited as Economics in terms of political science.

But who honestly wants more Brexit? Or thinks a second referendum solves anything? Watching Corbyn yesterday I could not shake the image of a man who is going through the hoops with zero hope of emerging victorious. The moment they committed to a second referendum was the final nail in the coffin for him and it will be nothing short of a miracle if they managed to achieve an over-all majority.

But other than that, all still to play for but I cannot help but think Brexit has done for them. I simply cannot fathom why they think a second referendum stance gains them a single extra vote. The ultimate act of political immolation for what?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 18 Nov 19 1.26pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

A sensible approach after 2017. And British politics over-all is in a state of real flux with polling almost as discredited as Economics in terms of political science.

But who honestly wants more Brexit? Or thinks a second referendum solves anything? Watching Corbyn yesterday I could not shake the image of a man who is going through the hoops with zero hope of emerging victorious. The moment they committed to a second referendum was the final nail in the coffin for him and it will be nothing short of a miracle if they managed to achieve an over-all majority.

But other than that, all still to play for but I cannot help but think Brexit has done for them. I simply cannot fathom why they think a second referendum stance gains them a single extra vote. The ultimate act of political immolation for what?

At this juncture in 2017, Conservatives were further ahead in the polls than they are now.

Edited by Willo (18 Nov 2019 1.27pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 18 Nov 19 1.26pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

A sensible approach after 2017. And British politics over-all is in a state of real flux with polling almost as discredited as Economics in terms of political science.

But who honestly wants more Brexit? Or thinks a second referendum solves anything? Watching Corbyn yesterday I could not shake the image of a man who is going through the hoops with zero hope of emerging victorious. The moment they committed to a second referendum was the final nail in the coffin for him and it will be nothing short of a miracle if they managed to achieve an over-all majority.

But other than that, all still to play for but I cannot help but think Brexit has done for them. I simply cannot fathom why they think a second referendum stance gains them a single extra vote. The ultimate act of political immolation for what?

Who honestly wants more brexit, as you say?

Hardly anybody, so revoke it.

As for 'getting it done' we are looking at 7/10 years, just to distance ourself from the EU.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 18 Nov 19 1.29pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Who honestly wants more brexit, as you say?

Hardly anybody, so revoke it.

As for 'getting it done' we are looking at 7/10 years, just to distance ourself from the EU.

Mmmm....I guess this election is going to answer you in a rather abrupt manner then.

The actual truth is those that wish to revoke article fifty are very much the minority.....As the Lib Dems vote share will make plain to you.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 18 Nov 19 1.29pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

At this juncture in 2017, Conservatives were further ahead in the polls than they are now.

Edited by Willo (18 Nov 2019 1.27pm)

Johnson isn't May thankfully.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 18 Nov 19 1.35pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Who honestly wants more brexit, as you say?

Hardly anybody, so revoke it.

As for 'getting it done' we are looking at 7/10 years, just to distance ourself from the EU.

Only the 17.4 million and perhaps many more now.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 18 Nov 19 1.40pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Johnson is certainly getting the labour message.

6 billions of tax cuts for the rich shelved.

Must be rattled.

Still the Queen and Trump are weighing in to help soon.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 18 Nov 19 1.45pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Johnson is certainly getting the labour message.

6 billions of tax cuts for the rich shelved.

Must be rattled.

Still the Queen and Trump are weighing in to help soon.


6 Bill would have been the cost of the reduced Corporation Tax from 19% to 17%, a tax that this Government has reduced from 28%.
The Labour message is that they would increase Corporation Tax from the current level.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 18 Nov 19 2.12pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

I don't see the Greens adding any more to their single MP representation as their votes tend to be well spread across the country but never enough in any single constituency to win them a seat.

The exception is Brighton which is where the oddballs live and they are happy to vote in a Green MP despite the Green local council making such a mess of running Brighton and I say that in the knowledge that my own daughter is a prospective Green councillor

I'm sure she is one of the sensible and competent ones.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 18 Nov 19 2.12pm Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

Who honestly wants more brexit, as you say?

Hardly anybody, so revoke it.



Well 52% v 48% was the result but let us not go over old ground.

But a Revoke stance is perhaps at least the more honest one than a farce of a second referendum which is effectively nothing more than a Reman v Remain choice.

However, if the Labour Party had a shred of decency it would simply have said the British voted to Leave and that is what we are still backing. But it did not. And hopefully will get its arse handed to it by way of the public showing their disgust with them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 18 Nov 19 2.16pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

6 Bill would have been the cost of the reduced Corporation Tax from 19% to 17%, a tax that this Government has reduced from 28%.
The Labour message is that they would increase Corporation Tax from the current level.

Typical BBC response to the Tories pledge not to cut taxes so they can fund the NHS.

"But many economists said the cut - which ministers were signalling would still go ahead earlier this month - would be potentially counter-productive, with a study based on HMRC data last year suggesting it could mean 6bn a year in lost government revenues."

So the Tories get criticised for promising tax cuts and now get criticised for not cutting taxes.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 79 of 215 < 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > The Election Thread