You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!
September 26 2020 5.18am

Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 17 Jul 20 1.49pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Mwncisee

Over the last few weeks I have been so tempted to respond on so many threads, which to me all revolve around the same issue that I feel many are missing but is in reality the root.

Please excuse me if this is a bit `rambling` and I know it could be open to retorts and I actually welcome them

I have been of the school of thought of we are lucky to have Roy but even I have to admit I have been finding it harder and harder to be able to defend him with the recent results. The question is of is he limited in how adventurous he wants to play or does he get the best he can out of a limited squad?

I worry about the calls of `I'd rather give it a go and risk us being relegated`. yeah if you can guarantee that we can then bounce back again but remember all those clubs that have thought this and look what happened. In reality go down from the Premier with a premier wage bill and the domino affect can be huge. Remember Stoke wanting to be more expressive? I know many Sunderland fans. Many know feel they should have been more careful for what they wished for.

The Roy stay or go debate I'm afraid is irrelevant as its the underlying issue that in reality determines it, or if it is at all even possible.

Our American friends invested in Palace and now want out, so they will not invest in us any more. Until that is sorted we are going to remain stagnant. I do not blame Parish for this, it was almost certainly well intention ed at the time and he cannot carry the club on his own. People say on here just buy new players. Where is the money for this coming from? Who is going to buy our players? Even if sold (Like AWB last year) the money is needed to invest in the club to keep it afloat. The indicator was there last summer and nothing has changed since.

If we get investors into the club (and I'll bet you we are really hunting for them) then and only then will replacing Roy be seriously considered. I genuinely believe SP wants Dyche, and if (and it's a massive IF) we got new investors tomorrow we would make a move for him and be able to give him a little war chest to freshen up the squad. We are not an attractive prospect to any manager until the squad can be invested in and we can't do that until investment is found. Until that can happen the only thing we have going for us to entice investment is that we are a Premiership Club, therefore we know Roy is the best cheapest bet to achieve that at the moment and he will have to stay.

So basically folks suck it up and get used to it because I think what we have is what we are going to get next season.

A very good post.
I broadly share the sentiments expressed.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mwncisee's Profile Mwncisee Flag Middlesbrough 17 Jul 20 1.53pm Send a Private Message to Mwncisee Add Mwncisee as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

A very good post.
I broadly share the sentiments expressed.

Thanks Willo, appreciate that. It's frustrated me recently that we are debating the symptoms not the cause at the moment.

Edited by Mwncisee (17 Jul 2020 1.53pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 17 Jul 20 2.10pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish



Also, a lot of fans donít seem to understand we are Crystal Palace, unless we get bought by multi billionaires, this is the best itís going to get , this is the peak of our mountain
, I can also guarantee you if we got relegated we would lose half of this fan base but at least we would have 15,000 hardened supporters at selhurst week in week out who remember losing 4-0 at home to scunthorpe in the pissing rain

I donít think itís disingenuous, but I think the vast majority of those defending Roy massively misunderstand the expectations and wants of those criticising him - I havenít seen anyone posting on here whoís expectation is hundreds of millions of investment and a team challenging for Europe - most people just want to enjoy watching their football club again.

This might be the Ďpeak of our mountainí in terms of league position, but itís certainly not in terms of performances, and to make out better performances are unattainable or unrealistic is not accurate. Weíve done it numerous times over the last 7 years.

No real complaints from me about Roy yesterday, and it did give me some hope that he might be able to get us going again. He changed the shape for the first time in in months, pushed Zaha and Ayew into a front 2 and pulled Macca as a narrow left midfielder. We clearly identified AWB isnít too much of a threat going forward and having Wilf waste his night chasing him up and down wasnít a great plan. This also meant Wilf could pick up the ball in different positions making it much harder to double or triple up on him, and why he was able to get turned and running at the centre backs numerous times.

(This type of change also puts to bed the utter nonsense that has been flying round that it was our squad which meant Roy had to approach every single game exactly the same - there are tons of tactical changes you can make within the same 11.)


There are small bits I wouldíve liked to see changed yesterday, but overall we had a go and showed some tactical fluidity to adjust our approach to our opponent. Last night, along with the Chelsea performance, was encouraging.

Overall the gulf in quality told, and combined with some questionable decisions, meant we got nothing out of the game - I have no problem with that.


Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (17 Jul 2020 2.12pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 17 Jul 20 2.33pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

The above is entirely in line with my views and I suspect many others who want to see us having more of a go in games with Zaha freed of some defensive responsibilities.
Now we just need to work on set pieces...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dazza's Profile dazza Flag Wallington 17 Jul 20 2.41pm Send a Private Message to dazza Add dazza as a friend

Originally posted by Jackeagle

The twitter bandwagon of teenagers screaming for Roy out has now truly got under my skin. Yes, through a combination of poor performances and bad luck we have now lost 6 in a row, but our position far from the relegation zone and not far from top 10 goes to show how well he has done prior to lockdown. The man has worked miracles despite hardly ever being backed in the market. To be honest, bar Benteke and Mama (who I believe have been very poor value for money), none of our squad were particularly expensive signings. Iím not saying Roy is flawless (lack of subs particularly frustrates me), but his astute defensive and tactical knowledge i imagine is far superior to any new manager we could attract. Ok, we donít score enough goals, but we really do not have the firepower to enable us to do so, as teams often double up on Wilf, with Ayew being the only other genuine threat. If Roy stays, we stay up. If he goes, thereís a risk that if it goes wrong we could be in trouble.

Well I am 43 & to be quite honest I am fed up with the utter dross & rubbish football being served up.

7 wins since October
14 goals scored at home in 18 games
28 goals scored in 36 games

This is all down to the tactics & regimented style.

We need a change, the squad needs refreshing with younger talent & this needs to be done a manager that will be with us longer than a year we need to start planning for the future not just the next 12 months.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dazza's Profile dazza Flag Wallington 17 Jul 20 2.48pm Send a Private Message to dazza Add dazza as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

I donít think itís disingenuous, but I think the vast majority of those defending Roy massively misunderstand the expectations and wants of those criticising him - I havenít seen anyone posting on here whoís expectation is hundreds of millions of investment and a team challenging for Europe - most people just want to enjoy watching their football club again.

This might be the Ďpeak of our mountainí in terms of league position, but itís certainly not in terms of performances, and to make out better performances are unattainable or unrealistic is not accurate. Weíve done it numerous times over the last 7 years.

No real complaints from me about Roy yesterday, and it did give me some hope that he might be able to get us going again. He changed the shape for the first time in in months, pushed Zaha and Ayew into a front 2 and pulled Macca as a narrow left midfielder. We clearly identified AWB isnít too much of a threat going forward and having Wilf waste his night chasing him up and down wasnít a great plan. This also meant Wilf could pick up the ball in different positions making it much harder to double or triple up on him, and why he was able to get turned and running at the centre backs numerous times.

(This type of change also puts to bed the utter nonsense that has been flying round that it was our squad which meant Roy had to approach every single game exactly the same - there are tons of tactical changes you can make within the same 11.)


There are small bits I wouldíve liked to see changed yesterday, but overall we had a go and showed some tactical fluidity to adjust our approach to our opponent. Last night, along with the Chelsea performance, was encouraging.

Overall the gulf in quality told, and combined with some questionable decisions, meant we got nothing out of the game - I have no problem with that.


Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (17 Jul 2020 2.12pm)


I could not agree more itís not about spending millions itís about being entertained & last night & Chelsea was excellent despite losing.

My concern is Roy canít seem to do this against the so called lesser teams.

People say you canít make changes weíll look at what Southampton have achieved cause they a manager that accepted his tactics were wrong do changed his team & shape that is what makes a good manager when they find solutions.

I run a business & if sat here & said I donít have the money compete or have no solutions my business would go under so you have to be willing to be flexible, try new ideas & solutions to improve.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jackeagle's Profile Jackeagle Flag London 17 Jul 20 2.53pm Send a Private Message to Jackeagle Add Jackeagle as a friend

For those who are bored of his defensive/boring style of play. Would you rather better football and fewer points?! (See Norwich). Unless you have aspirations of being like Leicester/Wolves... which I just think is wildly unrealistic. I know our league position has slipped and we have had a couple of dreadful games, albeit in a tough run of fixtures. I understand some may have higher aspirations, but In terms of league position I think our finishes under Roy will not be bettered by any other manager we could attract.... after all league finishes and results are so clearly more important than style of play, and I am baffled by anyone who might disagree with that!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 17 Jul 20 3.01pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

Jee, no one is saying there opinions donít matter but what Iím saying is they base most of their opinions on FIFA , think itís easy to buy a whole new team , play players out of positions because they do well on FIFA I mean I play FIFA and I have Schlupp and van annholt up front coz of pace !!! That doesnít mean Iím going mad saying Roy should be doing this .....

People who support Roy are constantly saying that we need to buy a whole new team. It's much cheaper to get rid of the manager.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 17 Jul 20 3.04pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

I donít think people are disagreeing with it in terms of necessarily achieving a higher league positions.
The view expressed relates to being able to achieve a similar position in the league while playing more attacking football on occasions.
Not like Norwich which would clearly be ludicrous, but there is a happy balance that can be achieved.
We have enough good defenders and solid midfielders to enable us play like we did last night more frequently.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 17 Jul 20 3.18pm Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

I donít think people are disagreeing with it in terms of necessarily achieving a higher league positions.
The view expressed relates to being able to achieve a similar position in the league while playing more attacking football on occasions.
Not like Norwich which would clearly be ludicrous, but there is a happy balance that can be achieved.
We have enough good defenders and solid midfielders to enable us play like we did last night more frequently.


I get what your saying but this is the whole problem! If you play more expansively without quality players and huge investment you get torn to pieces, pardew tried it and we were losing games 3-2 5-4 etc I guarantee you the people wanting him out are the same people wanting Roy out. People will never be happy, get someone in who plays attacking football we will be relegated by Christmas with our squad , bUt iT wIll bE enTeRTaINInG or we keep Roy until we have finances to invest and then look to replace with a longer term manager . At this moment , for our sustained period in the premier league, Roy and his football are our only option and I would take prem survival over exciting football any day of the week, Iím sure Stoke, charlton , West Brom , Sunderland fans would agree with me and wish they could turn the clock back

 


ďThis is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, itís a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying ďThis , is a large crisisĒ - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View redshift's Profile redshift Flag Toronto 17 Jul 20 3.21pm Send a Private Message to redshift Add redshift as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

I think what jack (the OP) is saying regards to teenagers is the continuous , slating of Roy and the team from people who would hardly remember our promotion year due to their age. They also think itís easy to sack a manager and get a better one in or play max Meyer (because heís rated 80 on FIFA so he must be good .
Itís a very dangerous time, the fan base is turning on each other I have de activated my twitter account for precisely this reason hour kids and morons slagging the club off .
At some point , Roy will have to be replaced due to his age, if he was to go now, leaving this squad, we would be relegated without a doubt next season. And do a charlton (they wished for better got rid of curbishley and bosh )

Anyway Iím going to be posting a lot more on here now again , you donít get the amount of idiots on here as you do Twitter

You're giving us way too much credit.

 


Success will lie to you but failure always tells you the truth.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 17 Jul 20 3.37pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Originally posted by Jackeagle

For those who are bored of his defensive/boring style of play. Would you rather better football and fewer points?! (See Norwich). Unless you have aspirations of being like Leicester/Wolves... which I just think is wildly unrealistic. I know our league position has slipped and we have had a couple of dreadful games, albeit in a tough run of fixtures. I understand some may have higher aspirations, but In terms of league position I think our finishes under Roy will not be bettered by any other manager we could attract.... after all league finishes and results are so clearly more important than style of play, and I am baffled by anyone who might disagree with that!


Thatís about it Jack. Villa, Norwich, Bournemouth, all try to play the right way we are told. Without a miracle all will play lovely to watch football the right way in the Championship. Next season. It only goes to prove you can imitate good to watch football. Doesnít mean your any good . Certainly not enough to win anything. And if you donít win anything, then get ready to play lovely football at a lower level, and hope it works this time ., because every team you meet will knock the lovely to watch football out of you. if thatís all you think it takes to actually win anything.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!