You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!
August 11 2020 2.17am

Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 17 Jul 20 3.45pm Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

I donít think you do get torn to pieces if you play more expansively.
Iím not advocating the lack of defensive discipline displayed under Pardew on occasions.
Our back four is strong and organised and we could still play 2 holding midfielders as well to act as foundation for more attacking play from the rest of the team when appropriate.
Sheffield U has demonstrated that you can defend and attack as a team in this league without having to be overly defensive.
Burnley manage to play 2 up front nearly every game and create opportunities for Barnes, Wood and Rodriguez and still manage to have a solid defence.
We should be able to at least aspire to be as attacking as such teams.
If we were getting amazing results and scoring goals I could perhaps understand the clamour for the rigid defensive football but weíre not even attaining the results.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 17 Jul 20 3.48pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

I get what your saying but this is the whole problem! If you play more expansively without quality players and huge investment you get torn to pieces, pardew tried it and we were losing games 3-2 5-4 etc I guarantee you the people wanting him out are the same people wanting Roy out. People will never be happy, get someone in who plays attacking football we will be relegated by Christmas with our squad , bUt iT wIll bE enTeRTaINInG or we keep Roy until we have finances to invest and then look to replace with a longer term manager . At this moment , for our sustained period in the premier league, Roy and his football are our only option and I would take prem survival over exciting football any day of the week, Iím sure Stoke, charlton , West Brom , Sunderland fans would agree with me and wish they could turn the clock back

Just nonsense.

We are the least expansive team in the league - no one is saying go completely gun ho, but the idea we canít do anything but this is so stupid itís untrue. Weíve played more expansively than this plenty of times ourselves in recent years and not done any worst. We will be the lowest scoring team to survive in the premier league (bar Huddersfield) in the last 7 years, so by very definition there are 5 comparable teams a year who play more expansively than we do now and have stayed up.

As I said above, the Chelsea and united games are clear as day proof that we could approach games differently, with the same squad, if we wanted to.

Yes we lost heavily under Pardew at times, but we also won heavily and often scored more than 2 a game(!!!!!), and reached a bloody cup final - itís funny when fans try and use that as the yardstick for a bad season.. Iíd take that any day over the utter s***e weíve watched this year.

Accusing everyone who disagrees with you of acting like a teenager whilst writing in alternate capital letters is also quite amusing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 17 Jul 20 4.09pm Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Just nonsense.

We are the least expansive team in the league - no one is saying go completely gun ho, but the idea we canít do anything but this is so stupid itís untrue. Weíve played more expansively than this plenty of times ourselves in recent years and not done any worst. We will be the lowest scoring team to survive in the premier league (bar Huddersfield) in the last 7 years, so by very definition there are 5 comparable teams a year who play more expansively than we do now and have stayed up.

As I said above, the Chelsea and united games are clear as day proof that we could approach games differently, with the same squad, if we wanted to.

Yes we lost heavily under Pardew at times, but we also won heavily and often scored more than 2 a game(!!!!!), and reached a bloody cup final - itís funny when fans try and use that as the yardstick for a bad season.. Iíd take that any day over the utter s***e weíve watched this year.

Accusing everyone who disagrees with you of acting like a teenager whilst writing in alternate capital letters is also quite amusing.

Iím simply voicing my opinion , also you stated we can play expansively as the Chelsea and Utd games suggest? Yes we can and we lost both

 


ďThis is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, itís a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying ďThis , is a large crisisĒ - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 17 Jul 20 4.11pm Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Just nonsense.

We are the least expansive team in the league - no one is saying go completely gun ho, but the idea we canít do anything but this is so stupid itís untrue. Weíve played more expansively than this plenty of times ourselves in recent years and not done any worst. We will be the lowest scoring team to survive in the premier league (bar Huddersfield) in the last 7 years, so by very definition there are 5 comparable teams a year who play more expansively than we do now and have stayed up.

As I said above, the Chelsea and united games are clear as day proof that we could approach games differently, with the same squad, if we wanted to.

Yes we lost heavily under Pardew at times, but we also won heavily and often scored more than 2 a game(!!!!!), and reached a bloody cup final - itís funny when fans try and use that as the yardstick for a bad season.. Iíd take that any day over the utter s***e weíve watched this year.

Accusing everyone who disagrees with you of acting like a teenager whilst writing in alternate capital letters is also quite amusing.

Also you would take pardews reign over this?? Thatís complete nonsense , yes the first half of the season and the end of the previous, but after that, we were shipping goals left right and centre , losing games in injury time when we were winning in the 90th minute , also that cup final, we should have won and it was pardews lack of defensive spark that cost us , everyone wanted Pardew gone, with him in charge playing that way we would have been destroyed and relegated if he wasnít sacked and should have been sacked a lot sooner

 


ďThis is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, itís a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying ďThis , is a large crisisĒ - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Putitout's Profile Putitout Flag Oxford 17 Jul 20 4.23pm Send a Private Message to Putitout Add Putitout as a friend

Palace could have been in the top ten now ,with Roy, in charge. If the board had been prepared to bring him just two or three top quality players ,over the last two seasons . The influence that loans such as Loftus C, and Batsi, had on the side showed what was needed to be more expansive on a regular basis. It hasnít been followed up. If itís to go forward only that kind of quality investment will do , we simply do not possess enough quality and it has to be solid additions three or four regulars . Things did look better against Chelsea, and Man. u.
What was missing was those two or three quality players to put the shine on the effort on display.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 17 Jul 20 4.50pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

Iím simply voicing my opinion , also you stated we can play expansively as the Chelsea and Utd games suggest? Yes we can and we lost both

Try and do it without patronising/insulting people.

I think itís fairly logical to assume performances of that quality would yield results against worst teams.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 17 Jul 20 4.57pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

Also you would take pardews reign over this?? Thatís complete nonsense , yes the first half of the season and the end of the previous, but after that, we were shipping goals left right and centre , losing games in injury time when we were winning in the 90th minute , also that cup final, we should have won and it was pardews lack of defensive spark that cost us , everyone wanted Pardew gone, with him in charge playing that way we would have been destroyed and relegated if he wasnít sacked and should have been sacked a lot sooner

Donít get me wrong, when Pardew went it was the right time, but it doesnít make his whole reign a bad one - it was good in parts but it reached a point where he didnít know how to get us out of the rut we were in; I view the situation with Roy the same.

Why is it you can recognise that Pardew was going to take us down and should have been sacked, yet now, with a considerably worst run of form, you go on as if itís idiocy to want the same for Roy?

15/16 we finished 15th with 42 points, scored 39 goals in the league and reached a cup final with a squad that was no better (arguably worst) than the current one. Absolutely I would swap that for this.


Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (17 Jul 2020 5.00pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 17 Jul 20 5.00pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by SwordFish

Iím simply voicing my opinion , also you stated we can play expansively as the Chelsea and Utd games suggest? Yes we can and we lost both

So had we played our normal boring tosh, do you think we would have got something out of either game? Was the attacking intent we showed our downfall? I really want to know what you think because I thought our movement and passing totally eclipsed that of the Burnley and Villa matches and we could have only bettered that performance with better finishing.

I have no problem whatsoever about the result given how we played in both the Chelsea and Man Utd matches. They were both entertaining and we should perhaps have got something out of both. However, the problem is we have probably only put in 7 or 8 performances like that all year and the rest of the time we have looked almost disinterested on the pitch.

I also really do not get this notion that we have to play in Roy's normal defensive style otherwise we go down. If we played like we did last night we would IMO finish in a top 10 position. If as we expect, Bournemouth, Norwich and Villa all go down it will be because they are overall the three worst teams in the league, not because they occasionally play some attractive football.

Roy would be backed to the hilt by all Palace fans if he showed a bit of flexibility and guile rather than just doing the same thing and picking the same players week in, week out and then when we are losing, not changing either the manpower on the pitch early enough or the tactics. It is not a weakness as a manger to spot when tactics are not working and immediately implementing an alternative strategy. I would argue the ability to do that is what differentiates the top managers from the average ones.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SwordFish's Profile SwordFish Flag Peasmarsh,East Sussex 17 Jul 20 5.12pm Send a Private Message to SwordFish Add SwordFish as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Donít get me wrong, when Pardew went it was the right time, but it doesnít make his whole reign a bad one - it was good in parts but it reached a point where he didnít know how to get us out of the rut we were in; I view the situation with Roy the same.

Why is it you can recognise that Pardew was going to take us down and should have been sacked, yet now, with a considerably worst run of form, you go on as if itís idiocy to want the same for Roy?

15/16 we finished 15th with 42 points, scored 39 goals in the league and reached a cup final with a squad that was no better (arguably worst) than the current one. Absolutely I would swap that for this.


Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (17 Jul 2020 5.00pm)

Because I donít think Roy will take us down if we needed a result he would get it, we are already safe , our squad depth is as shallow puddle. We have had no investment and Roy will keep us up. Iím not patronising Iím not insulting , maybe i come across that way because I have done nothing but defend my club to so called fans ďnone on hereĒ I mean on Twitter which is why Iíve come off the stupid thing , who know absolutely nothing about football, palace our history or anything , all they care about is results and you canít win them all

I understand your point totally , in my opinion , changing manager now would be suicidal, the famous saying is , better the devil you knowĒ and Roy has done a brilliant job , and without him we would be nowhere near where we are now

 


ďThis is a crisis, a large crisis.... in fact if you have a moment, itís a 12 storey crisis, magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24 hour portage , and an enormous sign on the roof saying ďThis , is a large crisisĒ - Edmund Blackadder

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 17 Jul 20 5.21pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Donít get me wrong, when Pardew went it was the right time, but it doesnít make his whole reign a bad one - it was good in parts but it reached a point where he didnít know how to get us out of the rut we were in; I view the situation with Roy the same.

15/16 we finished 15th with 42 points, scored 39 goals in the league and reached a cup final with a squad that was no better (arguably worst) than the current one. Absolutely I would swap that for this.

Pardew pretty much had no defence by the time he left.

We've got a net transfere spend of about £110,00m since promotion.

In the two windows before Roy arrived we signed Luka (£12m), Schlupp (£15m), PVA (£15m) plus Sakhho on loan and Later for (£26m). In the season he "saved us" he also had Reidewald for £8m plus RLC and TFM on loan and the emerging AWB. That's £78m in transfer fees alone added to the value of the squad in 6 months.

Since then the only big departures have been Cabaye and AWB. Cabaye was aging anyway.

He's spend £3m on Jach, £10m on Kouyate, £8m on McCarthy, and Sorloth £10m which admittedly isn't much (31m), but none are first team regulars. Guaita, Meyer, and Cahill amust have significant wages too and been supported in the loan market with Batshuayi, Tosun, and Camarasa.

What's puzzeling is that he's spent most of the money he had on Holding midfielders when we had a Luka who could play that role and McArthur and Reidewald as competent back ups.

The only players that have got regular first team football are Cahill and Guaita.

So he's had £30m to spend. He didn't really need or use the players he brought in. He's ignored free transfers and loans that he's bought in.

Even then, whilst we were crying out for a striker, he shipped off Sorloth and Wickham on loan.

The board might look at it like giving money to a child to go shopping with. They'll only spend it on crap they'll never use, and they doesn't use the crap they have already. Why give them more?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mwncisee's Profile Mwncisee Flag Middlesbrough 17 Jul 20 5.56pm Send a Private Message to Mwncisee Add Mwncisee as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Pardew pretty much had no defence by the time he left.

We've got a net transfere spend of about £110,00m since promotion.

In the two windows before Roy arrived we signed Luka (£12m), Schlupp (£15m), PVA (£15m) plus Sakhho on loan and Later for (£26m). In the season he "saved us" he also had Reidewald for £8m plus RLC and TFM on loan and the emerging AWB. That's £78m in transfer fees alone added to the value of the squad in 6 months.

Since then the only big departures have been Cabaye and AWB. Cabaye was aging anyway.

He's spend £3m on Jach, £10m on Kouyate, £8m on McCarthy, and Sorloth £10m which admittedly isn't much (31m), but none are first team regulars. Guaita, Meyer, and Cahill amust have significant wages too and been supported in the loan market with Batshuayi, Tosun, and Camarasa.

What's puzzeling is that he's spent most of the money he had on Holding midfielders when we had a Luka who could play that role and McArthur and Reidewald as competent back ups.

The only players that have got regular first team football are Cahill and Guaita.

So he's had £30m to spend. He didn't really need or use the players he brought in. He's ignored free transfers and loans that he's bought in.

Even then, whilst we were crying out for a striker, he shipped off Sorloth and Wickham on loan.

The board might look at it like giving money to a child to go shopping with. They'll only spend it on crap they'll never use, and they doesn't use the crap they have already. Why give them more?

I feel a lot of people do not understand the reality of how transfers are done. It's not football manager. It's very unlikely Hodgeson made any signings. At best these days the manager provides a list of profiles of players he would like and then the club scouts and tries to sign a player who fits that profile. I'll bet any manager only gets a fraction of the players they feel they need. Likewise even once signed the player may fit the profile the manager asks for but due to finances may not be the quality he needs to fit into his team.

As for Sorloth and Wickham, I'm sorry but its a case of 20-20 hindsight. The vast majority of fans felt it was good moves for both of them. We had Tosun as cover Sorloth had just not hot going with us so needed to go somewhere to have a fresh start and Wickham was coming back from injury and needed to get some games under his belt to regain fitness.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 17 Jul 20 6.42pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Mwncisee

I feel a lot of people do not understand the reality of how transfers are done. It's not football manager. It's very unlikely Hodgeson made any signings. At best these days the manager provides a list of profiles of players he would like and then the club scouts and tries to sign a player who fits that profile. I'll bet any manager only gets a fraction of the players they feel they need. Likewise even once signed the player may fit the profile the manager asks for but due to finances may not be the quality he needs to fit into his team.

As for Sorloth and Wickham, I'm sorry but its a case of 20-20 hindsight. The vast majority of fans felt it was good moves for both of them. We had Tosun as cover Sorloth had just not hot going with us so needed to go somewhere to have a fresh start and Wickham was coming back from injury and needed to get some games under his belt to regain fitness.

So are you saying Mourinho, Klopp and Guardiola are not involved in club transfers. Sorry, Iím not buying into that.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 43 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Roy IN. Stop scapegoating him!