You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Post EU World
April 15 2024 11.40pm

Post EU World

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 250 of 251 < 246 247 248 249 250 251 >

 

View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 02 Apr 24 10.49am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

A Labour Think Tank "Labour Together" is proposing that Starmer offer the 5m EU citizens in the UK full citizenship.

These folk already have residency rights so what would be the purpose?

Well for one thing they cannot vote in general elections but if Labour just made them all British citizens at a stroke of the pen you have 5m potential Labour supporting Pro EU voters.

It remains to be seen if this will become official Labour party policy.

A nice bit of gerrymandering.

Once again, Leave came as much from the left as it did from the right. The moderate, Blaire-ite left voted Remain - along with the majority of center-right Tories. But the hard left Corbynistas, definitely not. That side of Labour were Leave to the core.

Both major parties were overwhelmingly pro remain in Parliament. It is just that the Tories were quicker at reinvention and were able to erect a facade to present as pro Leave quicker than labour who were in disarray and distracted while they got their house in order.

And as for the 5m EU citizens, why do you suppose they will bother to vote at all, let alone vote Labour? And if they did, Spanish and Portuguese health workers may opt for Labour. But I can equally imagine German bankers or Polish entrepreneurs going direct to the Tories.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 02 Apr 24 10.53am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

This is from Electoral Reform.
42 Conservative & 2 Labour peers?


The House of Lords Act of 1999 removed all but 92 hereditaries, then numbering 750, breaking a 700-year-old right for all peers to sit on and vote from the red benches.

The remaining 92 were elected by all the previous hereditary peers in the House grouped by party affiliation 42 Conservatives, 28 Crossbenchers, three Lib Dems, two Labour and 17 others. These numbers are set when one Conservative resigns, a new Conservative is elected.

The decision to retain 92 hereditary peers was a forced compromise from then-Prime Minister Tony Blair, who, in his planned House of Lords reforms, had sought to remove all of them but was forced to back down following opposition from the Lords themselves, instead agreeing to let a small number remain as a temporary measure ahead of further reform later in the parliament.

Yet over two decades later the number of hereditary peers remains the same.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 02 Apr 24 12.02pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

This is from Electoral Reform.
42 Conservative & 2 Labour peers?


The House of Lords Act of 1999 removed all but 92 hereditaries, then numbering 750, breaking a 700-year-old right for all peers to sit on and vote from the red benches.

The remaining 92 were elected by all the previous hereditary peers in the House grouped by party affiliation 42 Conservatives, 28 Crossbenchers, three Lib Dems, two Labour and 17 others. These numbers are set when one Conservative resigns, a new Conservative is elected.

The decision to retain 92 hereditary peers was a forced compromise from then-Prime Minister Tony Blair, who, in his planned House of Lords reforms, had sought to remove all of them but was forced to back down following opposition from the Lords themselves, instead agreeing to let a small number remain as a temporary measure ahead of further reform later in the parliament.

Yet over two decades later the number of hereditary peers remains the same.

Some reform replace Lords who inherited the title with political appointees.

I hope Starmer sticks to his guns we need an upper house elected by PR based on region to ensure it balances out the population in balance in the South East.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 10 Apr 24 11.06pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


UK exports increasing.

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 10 Apr 24 11.14pm Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Some reform replace Lords who inherited the title with political appointees.

I hope Starmer sticks to his guns we need an upper house elected by PR based on region to ensure it balances out the population in balance in the South East.

PR would at least represent the actual votes cast regardless of location, I would favour this in all elections in UK now.

 


Responsibility Deficit Disorder is a medical condition. Symptoms include inability to be corrected when wrong, false sense of superiority, desire to share personal info no else cares about, general hubris. It's a medical issue rather than pure arrogance.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View glazedallover's Profile glazedallover Flag Allier 10 Apr 24 11.19pm Send a Private Message to glazedallover Add glazedallover as a friend

Hmmm. If you read the whole thing.....

UK exports increasing.

[Link]

However, the UK could slip down the table when the figures come out again next year, with a recent report finding that the value of total goods exports fell by 17.4 billion (4.4 per cent), between 2022 and 2023.

Last month's Office for National Statistics report said this was primarily because of falling imports and exports of fuels.

It added that, after adjusting for inflation, the UK imported and exported less in 2023 than it did in 2018.

In another blow to UK business, Britain and Canada paused talks over a new free trade agreement in January, meaning a post-Brexit arrangement with Canada is set to expire.

Edited by glazedallover (10 Apr 2024 11.22pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 11 Apr 24 7.43am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

PR would at least represent the actual votes cast regardless of location, I would favour this in all elections in UK now.


I still prefer first past the post for MPs as we need strong government. If we have PR people will rightly complain that minority parties wield too much power.

However The Lords should represent all walks of society to ensure there is not an imbalance between population and geography so I am in favour of PR for that.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 11 Apr 24 7.47am Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

PR would at least represent the actual votes cast regardless of location, I would favour this in all elections in UK now.

I used to study politics and the general consensus was that the UK would be fairer with a PR system, whilst Ireland would be better governed with a Westminster model. Hence both the other way around.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 11 Apr 24 7.55am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by glazedallover

Hmmm. If you read the whole thing.....

UK exports increasing.

[Link]

However, the UK could slip down the table when the figures come out again next year, with a recent report finding that the value of total goods exports fell by 17.4 billion (4.4 per cent), between 2022 and 2023.

Last month's Office for National Statistics report said this was primarily because of falling imports and exports of fuels.

It added that, after adjusting for inflation, the UK imported and exported less in 2023 than it did in 2018.

In another blow to UK business, Britain and Canada paused talks over a new free trade agreement in January, meaning a post-Brexit arrangement with Canada is set to expire.

Edited by glazedallover (10 Apr 2024 11.22pm)

Yup I read that article.

We are never going to know if the economy would have performed better if we remained in the EU. It's a bit like wondering if the girl you ditched for you wife would have made you happier, just guesswork.

When we joined the EEC it took years for us to re-align our economy away from the Commonwealth these things don't happen overnight.

What we can say is that post Brexit the sky has not fallen down and we have survived 2 major bumps in COVID and the Ukraine. I still think we need a few more years before we can really assess the impact on our economy. it has not helped that this government has been useless in taking advantage of the post Brexit era, perhaps the next one will do better.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View georgenorman's Profile georgenorman Flag 11 Apr 24 6.08pm Send a Private Message to georgenorman Add georgenorman as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Yup I read that article.

We are never going to know if the economy would have performed better if we remained in the EU. It's a bit like wondering if the girl you ditched for you wife would have made you happier, just guesswork.

When we joined the EEC it took years for us to re-align our economy away from the Commonwealth these things don't happen overnight.

What we can say is that post Brexit the sky has not fallen down and we have survived 2 major bumps in COVID and the Ukraine. I still think we need a few more years before we can really assess the impact on our economy. it has not helped that this government has been useless in taking advantage of the post Brexit era, perhaps the next one will do better.

Good post, agree with everything you say apart from the next government doing better!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 11 Apr 24 6.31pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by georgenorman

Good post, agree with everything you say apart from the next government doing better!

Yeah I thought I had better throw that one in for balance.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 12 Apr 24 10.33am Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Yup I read that article.

We are never going to know if the economy would have performed better if we remained in the EU. It's a bit like wondering if the girl you ditched for you wife would have made you happier, just guesswork.

When we joined the EEC it took years for us to re-align our economy away from the Commonwealth these things don't happen overnight.

What we can say is that post Brexit the sky has not fallen down and we have survived 2 major bumps in COVID and the Ukraine. I still think we need a few more years before we can really assess the impact on our economy. it has not helped that this government has been useless in taking advantage of the post Brexit era, perhaps the next one will do better.

It will be folk who are kids now who will write about the impact of Brexit after we are gone and an academic consensus will form. Our generation can only best guess.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 250 of 251 < 246 247 248 249 250 251 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Post EU World