You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Post EU World
October 19 2021 12.54am

Post EU World

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 59 of 103 < 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 >

 

View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 28 May 21 1.17pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

The public really ought to wake up to Truss and her spectacularly bad trade deals.

The Australian deal deserves a medal for self inflicting wounds on our farmers.

Hopefully we will realise the damage industrial meat production is doing to the planet not least its link to the pandemic, and reject USA and other obnoxious trade deals involving animals crammed together.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 28 May 21 1.35pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Never mind Brexit this is the real threat to peoples job

[Link]


If the Daily Mail was replaced by a robot you would not notice the difference.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 28 May 21 1.49pm Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Never mind Brexit this is the real threat to peoples job

[Link]

The automation industry itself is massive, employing huge numbers of people in design, testing, manufacturing of both hardware and software and then there are the subdivisions for each specific application. Replacing monotonous and skill-less 'jobs' is a good thing as that's how humanity progresses into a more intelligent society freeing it from unnecessary manual labour. Look at the computer industry, automated thousands of previously manual tasks but employs millions all over the world.

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 28 May 21 1.57pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20


If the Daily Mail was replaced by a robot you would not notice the difference.


I thought it had already. MSN news has.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 28 May 21 1.59pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290

The automation industry itself is massive, employing huge numbers of people in design, testing, manufacturing of both hardware and software and then there are the subdivisions for each specific application. Replacing monotonous and skill-less 'jobs' is a good thing as that's how humanity progresses into a more intelligent society freeing it from unnecessary manual labour. Look at the computer industry, automated thousands of previously manual tasks but employs millions all over the world.

I don't say it is good or bad just inevitable. I have been predicting this for quite a few years and I think the excuses around COVID will speed it up. You only have to look at the supermarkets they have been pushing for self service before COVID now it is difficult to get served by a person.

I suspect it means that entry level jobs will start to disappear.

Edited by Badger11 (28 May 2021 2.00pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 28 May 21 2.20pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Orange1290

The automation industry itself is massive, employing huge numbers of people in design, testing, manufacturing of both hardware and software and then there are the subdivisions for each specific application. Replacing monotonous and skill-less 'jobs' is a good thing as that's how humanity progresses into a more intelligent society freeing it from unnecessary manual labour. Look at the computer industry, automated thousands of previously manual tasks but employs millions all over the world.

I would agree that automation is inevitable however the human population is going up not down and to be honest I don't think the computing industry made more jobs than it actually took....better paid jobs perhaps and new offshoot industries but not more jobs.

The largest draw on any company is the human cost and If a new process actually ended up costing companies more it would never be implemented in the first place.

Economies of scale are a factor but overall as a percentage of employed the wide spread introduction of automation....in my opinion will see a drop in overall employment.

That said, increasing automation is inevitable and of the both of us I certainly hope you are right rather than me.

It's hard to be certain on the overall affect of automation...It's like when the Internet was first introduced, predictions could be made but it took time for us to see clearly on the extents of the pros and cons.

But it's like the H bomb, its development was inevitable and once here it couldn't be put back into its shell...as it were.

Edited by Stirlingsays (28 May 2021 2.28pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 28 May 21 2.37pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I would agree that automation is inevitable however the human population is going up not down and to be honest I don't think the computing industry made more jobs than it actually took....better paid jobs perhaps and new offshoot industries but not more jobs.

The largest draw on any company is the human cost and If a new process actually ended up costing companies more it would never be implemented in the first place.

Economies of scale are a factor but overall as a percentage of employed the wide spread introduction of automation....in my opinion will see a drop in overall employment.

That said, increasing automation is inevitable and of the both of us I certainly hope you are right rather than me.

It's hard to be certain on the overall affect of automation...It's like when the Internet was first introduced, predictions could be made but it took time for us to see clearly on the extents of the pros and cons.

But it's like the H bomb, its development was inevitable and once here it couldn't be put back into its shell...as it were.

Edited by Stirlingsays (28 May 2021 2.28pm)

Now is not the time to be importing unskilled labour come September the school leavers for this year will be looking for jobs and furlough ends apparently 2m are still getting paid.

I( hope that we will be okay but it could be that there are a lot of unemployed.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag 28 May 21 5.00pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Now is not the time to be importing unskilled labour come September the school leavers for this year will be looking for jobs and furlough ends apparently 2m are still getting paid.

I( hope that we will be okay but it could be that there are a lot of unemployed.

Ditto Badger, ditto indeed.

I wonder what the conservations will be like in ten years time.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 01 Jun 21 8.01am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Which particular parts of the trade deal with Australia are you unhappy with?

update

The deal has not been published or indeed ratified so basically you are complaining about something you don't know about. Reminds me of Emily Thornberry last week going on about animal welfare standards in Australia about which she knows nothing other than it was on the list of things to complain about from Labour HQ.

Have you protested about the conditions of animals in the UK which is not so different from the USA and Australia.

At least we're away from the EU which gave us horse meat posing as beef.

I look forward to your reply after you have done some googlenet research.


Originally posted by steeleye20

The public really ought to wake up to Truss and her spectacularly bad trade deals.

The Australian deal deserves a medal for self inflicting wounds on our farmers.

Hopefully we will realise the damage industrial meat production is doing to the planet not least its link to the pandemic, and reject USA and other obnoxious trade deals involving animals crammed together.

Edited by HKOwen (01 Jun 2021 8.08am)

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

I have simply accepted Wisbech Eagle is an all knowing and wise higher form of life.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 01 Jun 21 8.18am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by HKOwen

Which particular parts of the trade deal with Australia are you unhappy with?

Have you protested about the conditions of animals in the UK which is not so different from the USA and Australia.

Edited by HKOwen (01 Jun 2021 8.08am)

This is incorrect

Currently there is a focus on mulesing

[Link]

But there are many ways in which Australian farming is far less progressive than UK and EU farming

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 01 Jun 21 8.41am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Nicely googled, apart from that?

Originally posted by Mapletree

This is incorrect

Currently there is a focus on mulesing

[Link]

But there are many ways in which Australian farming is far less progressive than UK and EU farming

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

I have simply accepted Wisbech Eagle is an all knowing and wise higher form of life.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 01 Jun 21 8.42am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend


Apart from one aspect specific to sheep have you googled about other livestock welfare?

I can google too, museling is a process to prevent a disease called flystrike which causes a slow agonizing death ( per google )

Did it bother you as much pre Brexit?

UK currently imports about 0.3% of Australia's wool exports, Italy and Czech Republic by comparison around 1% each.

So all in all, it's a rubbish example to try and use the criticise the free trade deal under negotiation.

Edited by HKOwen (01 Jun 2021 8.50am)

Edited by HKOwen (01 Jun 2021 8.50am)

Edited by HKOwen (01 Jun 2021 9.52am)

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

I have simply accepted Wisbech Eagle is an all knowing and wise higher form of life.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 59 of 103 < 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Post EU World