You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > I Love Croydon-Roy
June 23 2021 6.06pm

I Love Croydon-Roy

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 6 of 19 < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 16 Jan 21 1.22pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

We are actually (when we do pass well) attempting to play attractive football, there were times against Arsenal where I thought we played some wonderful stuff and have done so much of the time Mr Hodgson has been here, results destroy good performances and too many fans simply fail to understand how much we've changed as a club, watching Andy Thorn and his team mates wasn't very attractive but because we achieved good results with them the performances are not mentioned.

I have acouple of Gooner mates, who thought we were the better team and stopped them playing. Its all about perspective.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 16 Jan 21 1.30pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

"Croydon Roy" is loved today after the unlikely point at Arsenal.
Lose tomorrow on the back of a disappointing performance and the mood will change.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 16 Jan 21 1.36pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Ketteridge

I agree and I might have stretched the analogy a bit but it is about understanding our strengths and weakness and the strength and weakness of opposition which applies to the team as well as individuals.
Sorry if Iím missing your point but I agree 11 players working together is going to better than 11 better players not working well together but that fits with the David approach more expensive players donít always make for better team although typically the better teams will be made up of more expensive signings.
To me Doombar is right, and I donít see the game as a beauty contest, having said that and ignoring lockdown I donít make as many games as I used to so it is easy for me to say as Iím not shelling out for a season ticket. If I were, I might have a different view more like Joe CPFC. I would also be the one annoying f***er at the David and Goliath fight saying Ďyou dragged me out of the Pawsonís on wet January afternoon for this?í

Edited by Ketteridge (16 Jan 2021 12.23pm)

Yes, I canít argue with anything you have written.

In support of my view, I would point to Everton and West Ham as two examples of teams who have bought many expensive players over the last 5 or so seasons and failed to really make any dent in the top echelons of the league. Everton have started apace this season however Iím still not convinced they will make CL spot.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 16 Jan 21 1.42pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

We are actually (when we do pass well) attempting to play attractive football, there were times against Arsenal where I thought we played some wonderful stuff and have done so much of the time Mr Hodgson has been here, results destroy good performances and too many fans simply fail to understand how much we've changed as a club, watching Andy Thorn and his team mates wasn't very attractive but because we achieved good results with them the performances are not mentioned.

I find it rather ironic that the training ground bust up was over passing drills. They should be doing those drills morning, noon and night, because that is a big issue for us and there is nothing more frustrating than seeing a promising move come to nought because of a stray pass. Little things like passing in front of a player to get him on the front foot rather than forcing him to pass backwards again count for a lot in this league.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ketteridge's Profile Ketteridge Flag Brighton 16 Jan 21 1.46pm Send a Private Message to Ketteridge Add Ketteridge as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

Yes, I canít argue with anything you have written.

In support of my view, I would point to Everton and West Ham as two examples of teams who have bought many expensive players over the last 5 or so seasons and failed to really make any dent in the top echelons of the league. Everton have started apace this season however Iím still not convinced they will make CL spot.


The best bit about Everton and West ham spending money is they get rid of the dependable workman like players they have 'upgraded'. We buy them on the cheap and get a good dependable player with Prem experience!

 


One supporter of hacking argued that without it "you will do away with the courage and pluck of the game, and I will be bound to bring over a lot of Frenchmen who would beat you with a week's practice -Blackheath secretary at first meeting of the F.A

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 16 Jan 21 1.49pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

I find it rather ironic that the training ground bust up was over passing drills. They should be doing those drills morning, noon and night, because that is a big issue for us and there is nothing more frustrating than seeing a promising move come to nought because of a stray pass. Little things like passing in front of a player to get him on the front foot rather than forcing him to pass backwards again count for a lot in this league.

Just imagine the scene: You've played a perfectly weighted peach of a ball in behind the defence and Batshuayi is offside... again.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Online Flag 16 Jan 21 1.52pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

..from the mouth of MonsterMunch lol

You hate our manager so that was extremely obvious of you, why don't you attempt to think.

It's embarrassing how some of you think a 0-0 draw with the team in 10th places makes Roy a "David vs Goliath" miracle worker.

We've won 2 in 10. The wins came against the teams in 19th and 20th.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MonsterMunch's Profile MonsterMunch Flag Cambridge 16 Jan 21 2.17pm Send a Private Message to MonsterMunch Add MonsterMunch as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

I find it rather ironic that the training ground bust up was over passing drills. They should be doing those drills morning, noon and night, because that is a big issue for us and there is nothing more frustrating than seeing a promising move come to nought because of a stray pass. Little things like passing in front of a player to get him on the front foot rather than forcing him to pass backwards again count for a lot in this league.

Itís so frustrating because itís so basic. Play the ball in front of the man so they are running onto it. The number of times we play balls to each other the players have to check their runs! You can see how frustrated Wilf gets with this. What are they doing in training? Other than fighting haha.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kevlee's Profile kevlee Flag born Wandsworth emigrated to Lanc... 16 Jan 21 2.27pm Send a Private Message to kevlee Add kevlee as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

"Croydon Roy" is loved today after the unlikely point at Arsenal.
Lose tomorrow on the back of a disappointing performance and the mood will change.

And remind us what will happen?

Edited by kevlee (16 Jan 2021 2.27pm)

 


Following Palace since 25 Feb 1978

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 16 Jan 21 2.31pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by kevlee

And remind us what will happen?

Edited by kevlee (16 Jan 2021 2.27pm)

Mr Hodgson will face shot and shell with visceral ordure aimed in his direction.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kevlee's Profile kevlee Flag born Wandsworth emigrated to Lanc... 16 Jan 21 2.34pm Send a Private Message to kevlee Add kevlee as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Mr Hodgson will face shot and shell with visceral ordure aimed in his direction.

That's more like it!!

 


Following Palace since 25 Feb 1978

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View monkey's Profile monkey Flag 16 Jan 21 2.38pm Send a Private Message to monkey Add monkey as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

That was a totally different era, before the domination of foreign imports of the Premier league.
Much of the credit goes to Noades, for all his faults he scouted most of the players from the lower leagues himself. He found Stan Collymore at Stafford Rangers, who didnt work out for us, because of Wright and Bright and having the piss taken out of him for his stammer. Most of the team 89/90 were found by Noades.

Doesnít matter what era it was, we finished 3rd best team in the country at that time, and up to Christmas/New year period it was looking like it couldíve been even better.

I stand corrected, Steve Coppell did absolutely nothing and Ron Noades is our best ever manager

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 6 of 19 < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > I Love Croydon-Roy