You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > How to protect a one-goal lead
December 1 2021 1.02am

How to protect a one-goal lead

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

 

View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 25 Oct 21 5.44pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend


we need a thread on this painful subject Eagles.

What thoughts ?


Assumption : our defensive players are good. Or at least good enough.

Its the tactics that need tweaking. You cannot park the bus against any Premier league team for 40 minutes and hope to successfully defend a hundred attempts on goal. All it takes is one deflection, one dive in the box, one unlucky failure with the offside-trap, or a blindsided 'keeper and you are goosed.

Attack is the best form of defence ? The Liverpool of Brendan Rogers learned the hard way. At Selhurst. Not always.

But does a bit of attacking help to pin opposition players back closer to the halfway line ?

Maybe play a long ball game to Benteke ?

opinions please Eagles.

How do we protect a one-goal lead ?

 


Eagle with SE19 altitude

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Omph's Profile Omph Flag Liverpool 25 Oct 21 6.07pm Send a Private Message to Omph Add Omph as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio


we need a thread on this painful subject Eagles.

What thoughts ?


Assumption : our defensive players are good. Or at least good enough.

Its the tactics that need tweaking. You cannot park the bus against any Premier league team for 40 minutes and hope to successfully defend a hundred attempts on goal. All it takes is one deflection, one dive in the box, one unlucky failure with the offside-trap, or a blindsided 'keeper and you are goosed.

Attack is the best form of defence ? The Liverpool of Brendan Rogers learned the hard way. At Selhurst. Not always.

But does a bit of attacking help to pin opposition players back closer to the halfway line ?

Maybe play a long ball game to Benteke ?

opinions please Eagles.

How do we protect a one-goal lead ?

Make it a two goal lead!

What I don't think works is sitting back. The team simply isn't set up to do that. The whole game plan and formation is based on winning the ball in midfield and pressing the opposition back into their own half. The 6 and two 8s system isn't made to soak up pressure.

Don't think long balls to Tekkers are the way forward either - at least in and of themselves. Better is maintain possession and push further upfield. The moment you resort to long balls you are inviting pressure and in danger of ceding possession.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eagleman13's Profile eagleman13 Flag On The Road To Hell & Alicante 25 Oct 21 6.40pm Send a Private Message to eagleman13 Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add eagleman13 as a friend

The only 'legal' non timewasting ploy is offside.

Goal-kicks, Free-kicks, Throw-ins, Corners & Substitutions are all timed & if a player takes too long, yellow card.

 


Is now OFFICIALLY retired.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 25 Oct 21 6.41pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Omph

Make it a two goal lead!

What I don't think works is sitting back. The team simply isn't set up to do that. The whole game plan and formation is based on winning the ball in midfield and pressing the opposition back into their own half. The 6 and two 8s system isn't made to soak up pressure.

Don't think long balls to Tekkers are the way forward either - at least in and of themselves. Better is maintain possession and push further upfield. The moment you resort to long balls you are inviting pressure and in danger of ceding possession.



Beat me to it. We have to keep moving forward - the Arsenal game was proof positive that parking the bus for the last 10 mins or so doesn't work.

Also, instead of bringing on defenders for strikers near the end, we should be refreshing midfield so as to maintain the higher press with fresh legs.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 25 Oct 21 8.37pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

The Brighton goal came from a mistake by Guita
The Arsenal goal started with Luka making a needless foul.
The Sandcastle goal started with a push in the back to Ward.

3 terrible goals to give away but not one of them was down to decent play against us.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 25 Oct 21 9.07pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

This is an ongoing issue and one that has vexed me since we gave away our one goal lead at Wembley in 1990. The conversation with dad in my car on the way home was grumpy and kept coming back to the same solution.

It seems obvious but we need to improve our ability to keep possession. That day at Wembley we were on the verge of winning the Cup however we allowed Man U the opportunity to take control. Dad and I were convinced that we were just not good enough at the simple task of passing the ball to each other to keep the other lot away from it.

It's the Brentford time wasting answer, but if applied expertly it has to be an effective way to hang on to a hard earned but slender lead.

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 25 Oct 21 10.01pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

I've always wondered the psychology behind teams retreating in the last ten minutes. I mean you dominate a team for 80 minutes but only manage to go one up. Rather than continuing to dominate, which was so comfortable, the team collectively decides to sit back and desperately defend making it much harder. Why?

If it's the other team being more aggressive then surely try and counter them rather than parking the bus.

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 25 Oct 21 10.28pm Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

This is an ongoing issue and one that has vexed me since we gave away our one goal lead at Wembley in 1990. The conversation with dad in my car on the way home was grumpy and kept coming back to the same solution.

It seems obvious but we need to improve our ability to keep possession. That day at Wembley we were on the verge of winning the Cup however we allowed Man U the opportunity to take control. Dad and I were convinced that we were just not good enough at the simple task of passing the ball to each other to keep the other lot away from it.

It's the Brentford time wasting answer, but if applied expertly it has to be an effective way to hang on to a hard earned but slender lead.

His name's not Mort is it?

 


A stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell give some indication of expected traffic numbers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 25 Oct 21 11.42pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by becky

His name's not Mort is it?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 25 Oct 21 11.44pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Omph

Make it a two goal lead!

What I don't think works is sitting back. The team simply isn't set up to do that. The whole game plan and formation is based on winning the ball in midfield and pressing the opposition back into their own half. The 6 and two 8s system isn't made to soak up pressure.

Don't think long balls to Tekkers are the way forward either - at least in and of themselves. Better is maintain possession and push further upfield. The moment you resort to long balls you are inviting pressure and in danger of ceding possession.


This. Getting cagey and attempting to protect a one goal lead, almost always ends in disaster. When we're ahead we've clearly done something right, so should keep forging on.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 26 Oct 21 12.33am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by doombear


Beat me to it. We have to keep moving forward - the Arsenal game was proof positive that parking the bus for the last 10 mins or so doesn't work.

Also, instead of bringing on defenders for strikers near the end, we should be refreshing midfield so as to maintain the higher press with fresh legs.


taking Luka off after 65 minutes would have got my vote. The Serb 30 man squad did not include him. A premier league player.

His form today is below where he was two or three years ago. We need a midfielder to terrify the opposition with blistering pace toward their goal.

 


Eagle with SE19 altitude

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wilbraham413's Profile Wilbraham413 Flag 26 Oct 21 3.00am Send a Private Message to Wilbraham413 Add Wilbraham413 as a friend

1) Waste time better. Against Arsenal, we didn't do a good job of wasting time when we had the chance. Newcastle wasted so much time against us, and only got one yellow card at the very end for it.

2) Have players who can maintain possession. Against Arsenal we had too many defensive players who couldn't break out or keep the ball away from Arsenal. I would start Ayew on the bench, and sub him in at the end to keep the ball away from the other team. Wilf is also good at this.

3) Don't concede cheap corners. We stink at defending set pieces. Rather than cheaply heading the ball behind, we need to try harder to avoid giving up corners at the end of matches. Newcastle had 25% possession, and 7 corners to our 3 corners. That's a problem.

Basically, we need to be able to park the bus, not concede cheap corners, and occasionally break out with players who are able to move the ball upfield to waste time and take pressure off the defense.

 


2017 Feb. (Van Aanholt) Palace 1 - 0 Middlesboro
2018 Jan. (Sako) Palace 1 - 0 Burnley
2019 May (Batshuayi, Batshuayi, OG, Van Aanholt, Townsend) Palace 5 - 3 Bournemouth
2020 Feb. (Van Aanholt) Palace 1 - 0 Newcastle

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > How to protect a one-goal lead