You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Free Speech
December 6 2022 5.00pm

Free Speech

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 27 Nov 21 2.36pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

No one needs to protect inoffensive speech.

I want to make the point that free speech needs protection and that, similar to nationally, I have noticed it being attacked on Hol much more regularly than in past years.

What people won't fight for they will lose. I think Hol has been particularly strong over the years in the face of some disgusting behaviour by activists to keep its site from being curated speech...and I'm not talking about posts on this site, but action off of it.

The Hol has the choice on what posters it allows on its boards.
People have choice....they can move, indeed, due to one particular poster I've considered much the same.

However, if I get bored off the boards I will always be appreciative of Hol for providing the outlet that allowed me to celebrate the amazing year that was 2016.

But I digress, the point of the thread is that free speech, as a principle, should be protected.

Edited by Stirlingsays (27 Nov 2021 3.04pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 27 Nov 21 3.23pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

HOL-eagles are the best online eagles in the World.

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 27 Nov 21 3.44pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio

HOL-eagles are the best online eagles in the World.

For some reason I could only think of this.

[Link]

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 27 Nov 21 5.21pm Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

No one needs to protect inoffensive speech.

I want to make the point that free speech needs protection and that, similar to nationally, I have noticed it being attacked on Hol much more regularly than in past years.

What people won't fight for they will lose. I think Hol has been particularly strong over the years in the face of some disgusting behaviour by activists to keep its site from being curated speech...and I'm not talking about posts on this site, but action off of it.

The Hol has the choice on what posters it allows on its boards.
People have choice....they can move, indeed, due to one particular poster I've considered much the same.

However, if I get bored off the boards I will always be appreciative of Hol for providing the outlet that allowed me to celebrate the amazing year that was 2016.

But I digress, the point of the thread is that free speech, as a principle, should be protected.

Edited by Stirlingsays (27 Nov 2021 3.04pm)

I suppose I should start by thanking you. You regularly provide me with a good laugh with your posts, especially on the threads that you start, and this one didn't disappoint. I still smile every time I see the "Bias against Trump" title.

Inoffensive speech does need protection sometimes. You have witnessed an occasion in these threads only today.

I don't though see any attacks here with the aim of limiting free speech. Unless you regard gentle reminders of the rules, in response to transgressions, as such. I don't. I see that as protecting free speech, not attacking it. Why? Because, as I have frequently said, there is no free speech without a matching responsibility. In the world at large, that means compliance with the law, even if you disagree with it. Here it means abiding by the rules.

What made me laugh with this post was the highlighted section. I too thank the Hol for allowing me to counter this attitude, which I find disagreeable and a backward step for our country, the USA and the world. To my mind, there was nothing at all to celebrate in 2016, and I still find it amusing that anyone does.

You have, though, as a democrat, no need to worry. Free speech IS protected. It's just illegal speech, which isn't.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 27 Nov 21 9.38pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Wisbech Eagle

I suppose I should start by thanking you. You regularly provide me with a good laugh with your posts, especially on the threads that you start, and this one didn't disappoint. I still smile every time I see the "Bias against Trump" title.

Inoffensive speech does need protection sometimes. You have witnessed an occasion in these threads only today.

I don't though see any attacks here with the aim of limiting free speech. Unless you regard gentle reminders of the rules, in response to transgressions, as such. I don't. I see that as protecting free speech, not attacking it. Why? Because, as I have frequently said, there is no free speech without a matching responsibility. In the world at large, that means compliance with the law, even if you disagree with it. Here it means abiding by the rules.

What made me laugh with this post was the highlighted section. I too thank the Hol for allowing me to counter this attitude, which I find disagreeable and a backward step for our country, the USA and the world. To my mind, there was nothing at all to celebrate in 2016, and I still find it amusing that anyone does.

You have, though, as a democrat, no need to worry. Free speech IS protected. It's just illegal speech, which isn't.

And your early response, again is one of goading and belittling.
Maybe RD is pleased you walk away, it's probably the only way he stops himself from being arrested with your condescending tone and approach!
It does appear that anyone can have an opinion as long as its yours! Very nationalistic I would say.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 27 Nov 21 11.34pm Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Free speech is an utter illusion. I spent decades defending the principle until recently when I realised there is no point. I want to clamp down on the entire concept. 'Free Speech' has led to the degeneracy we witness all around us and we need to mirror our enemies.

There are all kinds of opinions and views expressed in our modern society that I would happily out-law tomorrow. By constantly banging on about 'free speech' we merely allow the Progressives to spread their filth and even defend their right to do so. How can we be so stupid? It's like a form of self-loathing.

I refuse to promote the illusion of freedom of speech anymore. Those who oppose me would happily see my votes cast aside and deny me any kind of platform to express my opinions. So why should I defend them?

No. f*** Free-Speech.

 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wisbech Eagle's Profile Wisbech Eagle Flag Truro Cornwall 28 Nov 21 12.05am Send a Private Message to Wisbech Eagle Add Wisbech Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

And your early response, again is one of goading and belittling.
Maybe RD is pleased you walk away, it's probably the only way he stops himself from being arrested with your condescending tone and approach!
It does appear that anyone can have an opinion as long as its yours! Very nationalistic I would say.

No-one ought to be either "goaded or belittled" by my observations. They can either choose to respond, agreeing or disagreeing, or not. That's their decision entirely.

Mine are genuine opinions. Others are fully entitled to theirs, which never either goad, or make me feel belittled! Being confident in the veracity of your position is the key to that.

I have to say though that you have not addressed any of the points I made, and decided to respond with an ad hominem.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 28 Nov 21 12.09am Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

No one needs to protect inoffensive speech.

I want to make the point that free speech needs protection and that, similar to nationally, I have noticed it being attacked on Hol much more regularly than in past years.

What people won't fight for they will lose. I think Hol has been particularly strong over the years in the face of some disgusting behaviour by activists to keep its site from being curated speech...and I'm not talking about posts on this site, but action off of it.

The Hol has the choice on what posters it allows on its boards.
People have choice....they can move, indeed, due to one particular poster I've considered much the same.

However, if I get bored off the boards I will always be appreciative of Hol for providing the outlet that allowed me to celebrate the amazing year that was 2016.

But I digress, the point of the thread is that free speech, as a principle, should be protected.

Edited by Stirlingsays (27 Nov 2021 3.04pm)

You really are the right wing version of Neil from the Young Oneís arenít you.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 28 Nov 21 12.30am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Matov

Free speech is an utter illusion. I spent decades defending the principle until recently when I realised there is no point. I want to clamp down on the entire concept. 'Free Speech' has led to the degeneracy we witness all around us and we need to mirror our enemies.

There are all kinds of opinions and views expressed in our modern society that I would happily out-law tomorrow. By constantly banging on about 'free speech' we merely allow the Progressives to spread their filth and even defend their right to do so. How can we be so stupid? It's like a form of self-loathing.

I refuse to promote the illusion of freedom of speech anymore. Those who oppose me would happily see my votes cast aside and deny me any kind of platform to express my opinions. So why should I defend them?

No. f*** Free-Speech.

The progressives 'spread their filth' so to speak because they now own the culture, its mouthpieces and hell....pretty much everything.

They were allowed that ownership via the free speech the social conservatives who ran the culture before them allowed them. It's using that free speech that any change back could occur....not that I think that's how it's really going to work.

Personally I don't think it's desirable or practical to force large groups of the population to live a life they don't like. So in the same fashion that I don't like living in socially progressive neo liberalism I don't think it works to force modern liberals to live within the social conservative world.

Multiculturalism means that parallel societies are inevitable and demographic shifts means that by and large regions won't only be separated by class but by culture....it's been happening for decades...some might call this separation by race but in reality it's by culture and income....I don't ever seeing the racial aspect being explicit nor need it be though percentage wise it will be implicit.

So, for example, in practice I don't ever see Muslims in the UK becoming western but rather I see them becoming their own region living by their own laws. I don't see for example, the English ever ruling its own unbroken country again....essentially it will fragment. I think that's the inevitable consequence of multiculturalism.

I think keeping the background of free speech allows us all to form communities and parallel societies without fear.....I think this is inevitable anyway but free speech and association ensures it's peaceful and cohesive. To ban it would force it underground and hence make it more risky and extreme the more polarised it became.

So what I'm saying is I think that nations will eventually split into localised regions governed by different political cultures.....it'll happen more quickly in the US than in the UK because the demographic percentages and cultural split is different.....but we are just downstream of the US by ten years.

Edited by Stirlingsays (28 Nov 2021 12.34am)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 28 Nov 21 12.31am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

You really are the right wing version of Neil from the Young Oneís arenít you.

That's heavy man.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 28 Nov 21 12.51am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Talking of free speech


[Link]

 


Responsibility Deficit Disorder is a medical condition. Symptoms include inability to be corrected when wrong, false sense of superiority, desire to share personal info no else cares about, general hubris. It's a medical issue rather than pure arrogance.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Matov's Profile Matov Flag 28 Nov 21 12.57am Send a Private Message to Matov Add Matov as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays


So what I'm saying is I think that nations will eventually split into localised regions governed by different political cultures.....it'll happen more quickly in the US than in the UK because the demographic percentages and cultural split is different.....but we are just downstream of the US by ten years.


Edited by Stirlingsays (28 Nov 2021 12.34am)


You think the Progressive Left are just going to let us go off and do our own thing? No. They want to keep us close. They need to dominate, to impose, to essentially lord it over us. Hence why there is an increasingly zero-tolerance approach to anybody who not only refuses to take the knee but who even refused to comply with their new world view even in the past. They want to punish us for not only the sins of today but those of yesterday and even those of our ancestors.

The Progressives are parasites who live off those of with traditional values. At best, they might let us live in almost reservation-style communities but I suspect even that will be to much for them. They want to control what we eat, what we wear, how we speak and almost every other facet of our lives. They will allow us nothing. Even ludicrous s*** like Morris Dancing has to toe the line now and change centuries-old traditions.


 


"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - 1984 - George Orwell.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Free Speech