You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars.
July 3 2022 6.07am

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars.

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 14 of 17 < 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

 

View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 02 Apr 22 2.11am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

That's quite simple. Admit that I didn't say I condoned the slap, and that I didn't say I was a fan of any stand-up comedian. If you can bring yourself to admit that.....

I can do better than that, I can state what actually happened.

You said "I'm not condoning the slap to the face (I'd have done worse)".

And you posted a curated Youtube list of three bawdy comedians in a 'comedy greats' thread who you are now at pains to declare you've never been a fan of. Deeply offensive follicle based funnies have jolted your entire past comedic landscape.

Now let's go out and 'worse than slap' the hell out of some joke tellers!! .


Edited by BlueJay (02 Apr 2022 2.24am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 02 Apr 22 7.36am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


Now the dust has settled…how serious was this incident really? It was hardly Hollywood Babylon. The likes of Errol Flynn, Richard Harris, Robert Mitchum & co wouldn’t have been that shaken by being slapped by Will Smith; they’d have probably walloped him back and enjoyed the whole thing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 02 Apr 22 10.56pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Apparently Chris Rock is the eldest of five adult brothers, one of them was up on stage the other night and he was pretty p1ssed about it all.

To be honest I would be too.....the family's golden boy being made to take it like that.....I can see the humiliation. On the street it wouldn't end there.

[Link]

Edited by Stirlingsays (02 Apr 2022 10.58pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 02 Apr 22 11.06pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

I'll say this about Will Smith....he may have thrown his career away for a while but that dude is talented. From the moment he appeared on TV in the nineties he was an obvious star....multi talented, funny or serious.

This bird he hitched up too though doesn't have any of his talent but seems to have an ego that's in excess of his.

No one likes arrogance but personally if someone has the talent to back it up I accept it.....Lennon had mega arrogance but he had the mega talent.....Arrogance is much more annoying when that talent isn't there.

Smith has talent in excess but his wife hasn't and it doesn't seem to have transferred through his genes either.

Edited by Stirlingsays (02 Apr 2022 11.07pm)

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 02 Apr 22 11.24pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Apparently Chris Rock is the eldest of five adult brothers, one of them was up on stage the other night and he was pretty p1ssed about it all.

To be honest I would be too.....the family's golden boy being made to take it like that.....I can see the humiliation. On the street it wouldn't end there.

[Link]

Edited by Stirlingsays (02 Apr 2022 10.58pm)

Can't fault his brothers comments really (and great publicity for him too since I didn't know Tony Rock existed until today!). While Chris Rock has been classy in letting events speak for themselves, it's only right that people call it how it is, and there's no better people for that to come from than family.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 02 Apr 22 11.45pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I'll say this about Will Smith....he may have thrown his career away for a while but that dude is talented. From the moment he appeared on TV in the nineties he was an obvious star....multi talented, funny or serious.

This bird he hitched up too though doesn't have any of his talent but seems to have an ego that's in excess of his.

No one likes arrogance but personally if someone has the talent to back it up I accept it.....Lennon had mega arrogance but he had the mega talent.....Arrogance is much more annoying when that talent isn't there.

Smith has talent in excess but his wife hasn't and it doesn't seem to have transferred through his genes either.

Edited by Stirlingsays (02 Apr 2022 11.07pm)

Certainly he's the talent in the family, and over his career how conducted himself in thoughtful and intelligent ways, which I think is why this is shocking to many.

His other half has dragged him onto her pointless show a few times to tell him about 'entanglements' she's had with other men, and has publicly discussed how she's not entirely happy with their sex life and so on. To me it all just looks like a weird power trip.

Not so long ago he said " "The entire basis of my self-esteem was foundationally dependent upon whether or not my woman was happy. My self-image was inexorably bound up in my woman's opinion and approval of me." I think he's a good catch for a narcissist and though its just my opinion I don't see in her any specific talent or much of an inclination to support and defend him as he clearly does her.

In my view, Chris Rock was the least relevant aspect to what happened at the Oscars. Will Smith appeared to find the joke funny until it was essentially indicated to him that he shouldn't, at which point he reacted violently.


Edited by BlueJay (02 Apr 2022 11.45pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 02 Apr 22 11.53pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

Certainly he's the talent in the family, and over his career how conducted himself in thoughtful and intelligent ways, which I think is why this is shocking to many.

His other half has dragged him onto her pointless show a few times to tell him about 'entanglements' she's had with other men, and has publicly discussed how she's not entirely happy with their sex life and so on. To me it all just looks like a weird power trip.

Not so long ago he said " "The entire basis of my self-esteem was foundationally dependent upon whether or not my woman was happy. My self-image was inexorably bound up in my woman's opinion and approval of me." I think he's a good catch for a narcissist and though its just my opinion I don't see in her any specific talent or much of an inclination to support and defend him as he clearly does her.

In my view, Chris Rock was the least relevant aspect to what happened at the Oscars. Will Smith appeared to find the joke funny until it was essentially indicated to him that he shouldn't, at which point he reacted violently.

Edited by BlueJay (02 Apr 2022 11.45pm)

Seems a pretty accurate summary to me.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag 03 Apr 22 12.00am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

Can't fault his brothers comments really (and great publicity for him too since I didn't know Tony Rock existed until today!). While Chris Rock has been classy in letting events speak for themselves, it's only right that people call it how it is, and there's no better people for that to come from than family.

Rock is in a tricky place if Smith is just going to leave it how it is.

I imagine a lot is going on in the background....or maybe nothing is at all if we take Tony Rock's angry words as an example.

Maybe Smith will just duck out of his career for a few years until it's all forgotten. He's hugely rich with generational wealth and doesn't need to work another day.

 


'Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' (Leslie Nielsen)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 03 Apr 22 12.09am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays



Rock is in a tricky place if Smith is just going to leave it how it is.

He's handled it well so far in my view, but yes like Jim Carrey said, this footage isn't going away and is humiliating in a sense even though he did take the higher ground.

Like you say, maybe Smith will keep a low profile for a bit, or lose with work and take a break. People have short memories so I expect he can move past it before long, but as you say it's more about what he wants rather than needs considering his wealth.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tim Gypsy Hill '64's Profile Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Flag Stoke sub normal 03 Apr 22 1.09am Send a Private Message to Tim Gypsy Hill '64 Add Tim Gypsy Hill '64 as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

I can do better than that, I can state what actually happened.

You said "I'm not condoning the slap to the face (I'd have done worse)".

And you posted a curated Youtube list of three bawdy comedians in a 'comedy greats' thread who you are now at pains to declare you've never been a fan of. Deeply offensive follicle based funnies have jolted your entire past comedic landscape.

Now let's go out and 'worse than slap' the hell out of some joke tellers!! .


Edited by BlueJay (02 Apr 2022 2.24am)

Well oviously you can't do better, as all you have done is stated what you made up. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat it. Unless you can quote me stating "Smith was within his rights to hit him", or that I said "I am a fan of these stand-up comics" which the OP (ignored for a day) had asked for, then you are a liar.

That I'd have done worse is not an endorsement of the action, it's a reaction that should apply to anyone defending their partner. That you feel that is too 'macho' or something is neither here nor there, but says something about your character. In any other scenario, Rock would have been called out for bullying. There is only one way to deal with bullies.

 


Systematically dragged down by the lawmakers

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 03 Apr 22 2.56am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Tim Gypsy Hill '64

Well oviously you can't do better, as all you have done is stated what you made up. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat it. Unless you can quote me stating "Smith was within his rights to hit him", or that I said "I am a fan of these stand-up comics" which the OP (ignored for a day) had asked for, then you are a liar.

That I'd have done worse is not an endorsement of the action, it's a reaction that should apply to anyone defending their partner. That you feel that is too 'macho' or something is neither here nor there, but says something about your character. In any other scenario, Rock would have been called out for bullying. There is only one way to deal with bullies.

No, you posted comedians routines because it's safe to assume you're a fan; you stated that you'd do 'worse' than slap someone as a nod towards violence. Your bizarre and pointless re-framing after is an irrelevance.

And you've now suddenly gone from pages of being affronted that your comment that you'd have done 'worse' than slap Chris Rock could be taken as an endorsement of violence, to a complete about turn of berating me for not endorsing Smith's reaction on account that I would apparently find it 'too macho' - and that if you had acted in a 'macho' way, 'worse' than slapping (that you 'would've regretted') it's not an 'endorsement' of violence but a 'reaction' to events. 'There is only one way to deal with bullies' apparently. What in sweet Jesus are you even going on about? How you choose to frame violence is for you, I'm highlighted what you said not how you feel about it.

You're disingenuously arguing from every perspective going. Plenty of popular comedians - such as ones you promote: Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning - tell jokes that are going to offend. The idea though that there should be physical payback for their routines is mental. You seem to think that every joke you've ever heard is fine (while also disassociating from bawdy comedians you know act against your new 'comedic sensitivity') and that Chris Rock's joke was some kind of uniquely terrible event that we're all wrapping our heads (with or without hair) around and are left reeling from. In reality, if Will Smith hadn't reacted violently nobody would've considered this tame joke even vaguely of note compared to any others on the night. And again, the likes of Ricky Gervais routinely say much worse at these events. Would Will Smith have hit him too, or just a diminutive comedian like Chris Rock? Who's the 'bully' again?

You're just trying to get a rise rather than holding anything resembling a consistent or honest view.


Edited by BlueJay (03 Apr 2022 4.18am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 03 Apr 22 3.46pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

a ton of media coverage for Will Smith.

And the link below, media tumbleweed....

[Link]

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 14 of 17 < 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars.